Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
File sizes - why the difference?

A friend gave me a copy of a long and well-known book in mobi format. The file size was then about 2500KB. I have the hardback original which is 350 pages or a bit more, plus a couple of illustrations. To my annoyance, I found that a page had been repeated in digitising it, starting half-way through a sentence. In fact it had been repeated a second time, too. Not having a mobi file editor, I used Calibre to convert it into an epub file, then opened it in Sigil and deleted the repeated passages (just two pages). I then used Calibre to convert it back to a mobi file.

To my surprise, the resulting mobi file is less than half the size of the original, just over 1000KB. But apparently it's just the same as the original (but two pages smaller). For the rest of the book, I couldn't spot any difference at all in what was on my Kindle.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, but I can't imagine what it is. Can anyone explain?
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
A friend gave me a copy of a long and well-known book in mobi format. The file size was then about 2500KB. I have the hardback original which is 350 pages or a bit more, plus a couple of illustrations. To my annoyance, I found that a page had been repeated in digitising it, starting half-way through a sentence. In fact it had been repeated a second time, too. Not having a mobi file editor, I used Calibre to convert it into an epub file, then opened it in Sigil and deleted the repeated passages (just two pages). I then used Calibre to convert it back to a mobi file.

To my surprise, the resulting mobi file is less than half the size of the original, just over 1000KB. But apparently it's just the same as the original (but two pages smaller). For the rest of the book, I couldn't spot any difference at all in what was on my Kindle.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, but I can't imagine what it is. Can anyone explain?
Many conversions leave kruft from the original source or previous (program x) conversion.
Calibre has its own process and may clean up a lot of inline code (style sheet stuff...)
Sometimes... Just sometimes. A odd original coding may result in a larger file.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Sigil and calibre both perform cleaning of the internal markup. Also calibre produces compressed MOBI files by default. The starting MOBI may not have been using compression.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Thanks guys, very helpful. It seemed a bit spooky!
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
baliantas
baliantas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Hello Araucaria,

You might also keep in mind that Calibre resizes images based on the output profile you chose in the conversion settings ("page setup"). This might result in a drastically smaller epub/mobi file... That's my experience at least.
baliantas is offline   Reply With Quote