Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
pdxesto
pdxesto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wireless
How to add downloaded epub file to Kobo desktop library (not the reader)?

[Warning: I'm a complete noob at this ereader thing, so please bear with me.]

I don't have an ereader of any type yet; I'm "testing the waters" by playing around with the Kobo desktop application. I'm completely stumped by trying to add a downloaded epub file to the desktop app's library. All the searches I've done have instructions on how to add epub files to the Kobo ereader; I can't find anything that tells me how to simply add an epub file to the desktop library.

Please help!

Thanks!
pdxesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Unfortunately, the Kobo Desktop app. only supports materials directly downloaded from the Kobo store in the format we often call kepub. These get downloaded when you do a sync within the Desktop itself.

Generic ePubs can be read via tools like ADE (Adobe Digital Edition) or (if no DRM on them) by the viewer found within Calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
So far as I know it is still the case that Kobo Desktop can only read the super secret Kobo-only KPUB format. See Reading Adobe ePub on the Desktop for the state of play last December. I still like NOOKstudy, but Sony has updated their desktop app and Adobe has a new reader in beta-test (Adobe Digital Editions 1.8 preview now available).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
pdxesto
pdxesto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wireless
Wow. I didn't realize the Kobo desktop app was so braindead. Oh well.

Anyways, thanks for the heads-up.
pdxesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I would suggest using Calibre. That really works great, you can also sync notes.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Unfortunately, the Kobo Desktop app. only supports materials directly downloaded from the Kobo store in the format we often call kepub. These get downloaded when you do a sync within the Desktop itself.
June 2014 update:

I have found found Kobo puts books in the \kepub directory. Ebook files will be named like, for example q1w2e3r4t56y. I simply add an .epub extension to the end and it can be opened with any standard ebook reader software. I have tried some free samples so far.

So, can you confirm Kobo uses standard EPUB for paid books as well, in 2014?

To the topic: but it still can't add offline books, right?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
So, can you confirm Kobo uses standard EPUB for paid books as well, in 2014?

To the topic: but it still can't add offline books, right?
The DRM used for Kobo's kepub books is not the standard Adobe DRM so renaming a DRMed ebook to add the epub extension will not give you a usable ebook.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sadly, all ereaders will try to force you into their eco system. If a consumers wants to buy book from other sources, a bit of rebelion is needed. I think Kobo is more open than most other readers out there, if only marginally so. As said, get Calibre!
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
So far as I know it is still the case that Kobo Desktop can only read the super secret Kobo-only KPUB format. See Reading Adobe ePub on the Desktop for the state of play last December.
One totally off topic question! What did you use to generate the Baudot-Murray tape image with your nickname on it? At least that is what it appears to be going by decades old memories.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote