Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Stuck in USB Drive Mode, and worse...

... did not restart after 20- second hold of the power button, neither after I pulled its battery out and back in. I re- connected it to my desktop in an attempt to do the actual ejection but it isn't recognized by my computer and it is not shown as connected in the My Computer window. The orange light is on whenever I connect my Nook to either the PC or the wall charger.
How to revive my Nook Classic from this USB mode and use it again to read all the books I have there?
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I have no idea, but first, try to charge it for several hours. It could be that it's completely out of power.

If that makes no difference (if they run completely out of power they can kind of lock up and not do anything right), remove the battery and connect it (the Nook without the battery) to the charger and see if it will boot up. Once booted up, put the battery back and it will kopefully charge.

Last edited by Asawi; 05-05-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thank you for your kind advice Asawi, here's how it worked:
- when the 20-second push on the power button or the reconnection to PC in order to properly eject Nook won't work (Nook wasn't even recognized when hooked to USB port), take the battery out for 10 minutes, put it back again and let it fully charge. Being patient is important since full charge can take hours.
Time shown after Nook is unlocked from USB Drive Mode in this way may not be accurate and all of my B&N NookBook purchases were showing as a pre-order but once I hooked Nook on wifi things went normal again, with proper time and all.
The "10-minute battery out" method was suggested on another forum by someone who seems to be the official support at B&N.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
So glad you got it working! And thanks for describing what you did! Might come in handy one day!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
deestew
deestew began at the beginning.

Device: augen the book
Unhappy Nook not recognized on PC

I have a refurbished Nook classic. It runs fine on WiFi, but I want to connect to my Windows 7 PC to download library books. When I plug in the Nook to PC, the Nook doesn't recognize that it's plugged in. No little picture of a USB cord. Natually, my PC can't see the Nook either. Calling B & N tech support gets me a new refurbished Nook (my 4th one. The other 3 had similar problems). I've tried 3 different USB cords and 3 different PC's. Anybody have any ideas?
deestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
varelov
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestew View Post
I have a refurbished Nook classic. It runs fine on WiFi, but I want to connect to my Windows 7 PC to download library books. When I plug in the Nook to PC, the Nook doesn't recognize that it's plugged in. No little picture of a USB cord. Natually, my PC can't see the Nook either. Calling B & N tech support gets me a new refurbished Nook (my 4th one. The other 3 had similar problems). I've tried 3 different USB cords and 3 different PC's. Anybody have any ideas?
It may have to do with the way you unplugged your nook the last time. Before actually unplugging it from USB, you'll have to choose the small green arrow at the taskbar at which point you'll be asked if you want to safely remove drive X:. This is from Win XP, as I am totally unfamiliar with Win 7.
Provided, your Nook isn't recognized to begin with, so I'd resort to the "20-second press on the power button" in order to reset the nook and then hook it up to the PC. If that doesn't help (your nook still not being recognized), try the "10-minute battery out followed by a full recharge" part. I am totally guessing here, as it is obvious that the stem of the problem may very well be how Win 7 handles USB hookups of devices that don't have drivers previously installed on the PC. So I'd also do a little search on Windows 7 handling USB and if similar problem has been reported by other Win 7 users that plug in their nooks to Win 7 PC's.