Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
iPad Glare Question

Let me start off by saying I am looking for a reader for both books and a technical documents/PDFs. At first, the iPad seemed like the perfect choice, given it's PDF handling capabilities and large, fast and interactive screen. The only really downside was the price. Heck, people even told me the screen was as easy on your eyes as e-ink. I had no reason not to believe them.

However, I wanted to test it out many times before I made the decision, so I went into the local Apple store and the University book store several times to try them out.

I found that the iPad made reading nearly impossible for me. Even with the brightness all the way up, the glare was just too distracting. I tried to read some ebooks and PDFs and I would find myself just being distracted or annoyed by the ever present glare. In fact, I found my iPhone is a better reading solution.

So, my question for all of you, is how do you deal with the glare? Does it not bother you, did you get an anti-glare film, or something else?
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
The only time I had a problem with glare was watching particularly dark movies in my garden - never found it to be a problem for reading. I now have an anti-glare screen protector fitted, which helps a lot with movies, but does make fine text more 'granular' - not sure I like it much, but I'll keep it for now and see...

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid I don't understand you. You say "even with the brightness all the way up, the glare was just too distracting". If you turn the brightness up, then certainly the glare will be worse, because the screen is emitting more light. You should read with the screen at the minimum brightness level that's comfortable for you to read with.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Haven't had an issue with glare either...but I've been using Macbooks with glossy glass screens for a while (and the iPhoned as well), so maybe I'm more used to it. I'm sure outdoors it is probably more of an issue.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
I read on my iPad everyday (manga scans) and don't notice the glare while I am reading. I set the brightness as low as possible, turned auto brightness off, and within the reading app I've lowered the brightness a little further. I didn't do that for glare issues though... I just did it because the iPad screen is really bright. The only time I notice that the screen has a glare is during a dark movie or when the iPad is off (at which point it becomes a mirror).

Maybe give the in-store iPad a second try. I don't think there is a better technical pdf reader currently available. I have a Kindle DX and as gorgeous as the screen is, it can't touch the pdf features of the iPad.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Agnum View Post
Let me start off by saying I am looking for a reader for both books and a technical documents/PDFs. At first, the iPad seemed like the perfect choice, given it's PDF handling capabilities and large, fast and interactive screen. The only really downside was the price. Heck, people even told me the screen was as easy on your eyes as e-ink. I had no reason not to believe them.

However, I wanted to test it out many times before I made the decision, so I went into the local Apple store and the University book store several times to try them out.

I found that the iPad made reading nearly impossible for me. Even with the brightness all the way up, the glare was just too distracting. I tried to read some ebooks and PDFs and I would find myself just being distracted or annoyed by the ever present glare. In fact, I found my iPhone is a better reading solution.

So, my question for all of you, is how do you deal with the glare? Does it not bother you, did you get an anti-glare film, or something else?
I guess, the lighting in the store is way more distracting than in your living room or office.
I'm okay with the glare/reflection, but I wouldn't say it's close to or even identical with e-Ink.
And I wouldn't recommend iPad for technical documents.
In my opinion, iPad is perfect for comics or magazines and acceptable for casual reads. But it's too heavy and bulky and the battery won't last long enough, to use it "professionally".

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
In my opinion, iPad is perfect for comics or magazines and acceptable for casual reads. But it's too heavy and bulky and the battery won't last long enough, to use it "professionally".
How long is "long enough"? You can get a good 12h+ battery life from the iPod - a full day's work. How long is actually necessary? I'd certainly consider it to be entirely sufficient.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I think the iPad beats any e-reader currently on the market for PDFs of all sorts, hands down. Heavy and bulky compared to a 6" Kindle? Of course it is. But my 6" Kindle can't handle text based PDFs at all without either shrinking the text to microscopic proportions or forcing me to use their new stupid pan and zoom feature over and over on every page. What a useless "feature" that turned out to be.

Take the same PDF, put it on an iPad in GoodReader. Use the crop function to get rid of the excess margins across the entire document with one click--what a freaking novel idea, are you listening, Amazon? Put the iPad on my lap and read, or use a stand. Presto--iPad is no longer heavy or bulky, and the PDF is actually readable. Graphics, of course, are gorgeous. And I can still zoom in if I need to see something up close.

As for glare, I hate it. But as others have said, the glare in a store is going to be far worse than what you experience at home. PowerSupport makes an anti glare shield that appears excellent in photos I've seen, though I haven't used it myself. I normally don't like screen protectors, but I have considered that one. Right now, I simply change the angle I'm holding the iPad at until I've found a position with less glare, and that works fine.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
You just adjust the angle that you are holding it a bit.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand you. You say "even with the brightness all the way up, the glare was just too distracting". If you turn the brightness up, then certainly the glare will be worse, because the screen is emitting more light. You should read with the screen at the minimum brightness level that's comfortable for you to read with.
Well, in the stores, with the brightness all the way down I can't see a thing. With it all the way up, it is manageable, but frickin' bright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
I think the iPad beats any e-reader currently on the market for PDFs of all sorts, hands down. Heavy and bulky compared to a 6" Kindle? Of course it is. But my 6" Kindle can't handle text based PDFs at all without either shrinking the text to microscopic proportions or forcing me to use their new stupid pan and zoom feature over and over on every page. What a useless "feature" that turned out to be.

Take the same PDF, put it on an iPad in GoodReader. Use the crop function to get rid of the excess margins across the entire document with one click--what a freaking novel idea, are you listening, Amazon? Put the iPad on my lap and read, or use a stand. Presto--iPad is no longer heavy or bulky, and the PDF is actually readable. Graphics, of course, are gorgeous. And I can still zoom in if I need to see something up close.

As for glare, I hate it. But as others have said, the glare in a store is going to be far worse than what you experience at home. PowerSupport makes an anti glare shield that appears excellent in photos I've seen, though I haven't used it myself. I normally don't like screen protectors, but I have considered that one. Right now, I simply change the angle I'm holding the iPad at until I've found a position with less glare, and that works fine.
Unfortunately, this is primarily a work device, and my work has very similar lighting to the store environments I have been in that sell the iPads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I guess, the lighting in the store is way more distracting than in you living room or office.
I'm okay with the glare/reflection, but I wouldn't say it's close to or even identical with e-Ink.
And I wouldn't recommend iPad for technical documents.
What would you recommend for technical documents?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
You just adjust the angle that you are holding it a bit.

Lee
I find that with slight fidgets of my hand, the glare shoots around the screen, which is extremely distracting.

I guess the iPad just isn't for me. After spending that kind of money, I don't think I would be happy having to get used to such a glaring problem. (See what I did there? )

Thanks for all of your guy's advice. I'm going to probably purchase a Kindle or Nook and see if the lack of glare problem/ease of reading on the e-ink outweighs the formatting issues.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
I suppose he means reflection of light sources on the screen.

I also suppose that a store has many light sources, making it much more difficult to read than in pratical situations.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How long is "long enough"? You can get a good 12h+ battery life from the iPod - a full day's work. How long is actually necessary? I'd certainly consider it to be entirely sufficient.
"Long enough" for me means, I can do an entire business trip without caring about charging.
My iPhone didn't even "survive" the 4.5 hours train ride to my headquarters.
iPad can do slightly more. But with WiFi on, I only make about 7 to 8 hours. That's totally fine, compared to my (now mainly replaced) UMPC Samsung Q1.
But it's still way less than I can do with PocketBook 360, Sony 505 or any other of my favorites.

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-28-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Agnum View Post
What would you recommend for technical documents?
Wouldn't they have filed for chapter 11, in an instant I would have recommended iRex 800. Now, with the unclear future of iRex, it's your risk assumption....
Else, I'd recommend Onyx Boox/BeBook Neo (with 6", the screen could be bigger. But I'd always trade screen estate for featureset, screen clarity and battery duration).
Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
shiffy
shiffy doesn't littershiffy doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
I found screen reflection to be an issue in certain conditions too -- always outside and sometimes inside, depending on the lights. I have an anti-glare screen protector and it does the trick for me. I find the reflection not significantly different than on the Irex 800 that I had for a few weeks (it froze up and instead of sending me a replacement, I got a full refund that I was going to use for a new one, but that was the weekend the iPad came out and I couldn't resist once I tried it.) The Irex without a screen protector may have been slightly better, but not very different. I find the iPad with the screen protector to be much better with respect to reflections than the Sony Daily Reader I looked at. The main difference is in bright sun, where the Irex was great and the iPad with my screen protector only passable. I have the Steinhall Anti-Fingerprint screen protector which I like very much. I also tried one from Power Support, which also was good, but I prefer the Steinhall as it does a better job at reducing reflections while still maintaining clarity (in a matte finish). The Power Support has even less loss of clarity, but it is a bit more reflective. Before ruling out the iPad, I would see if you can find someone with a good anti-glare screen protector on their iPad who will let you try it out.
shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote