Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
PaladinBL
Enthusiast
PaladinBL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
HTML importing problem

Tonight I installed 0.2.0 version and it looks nice. It is faster than previous version that I had.

I have a problem when creating ePub from HTML. Can I use option "Add existing items" to add HTML files? It look that I can but when I insert, for example, three HTML files and save it as ePub I have this situation: first HTML file have 10 pages on PRS-505 reader, it opens only first page, then skips next nine pages and it jumps after 1st page directly to 10th page (that is first page of second HTML file), and after that it jumps to 24. page (that is first page of third HTML file). So I only have first page on reader of every HTML file, I see just fraction of text that I have in HTML files.

I have the same problem with Calibre. When I create LRF in Calibre it looks great, but with ePub I have the same problem.

I created good ePub in Sigil only when I manually copy/paste text from all HTML files (book is divided in 20-30 HTML files, one file = one chapter) to Sigil and save it as ePub. Or when I copy/paste all text from HTML to Word, save as RTF, import that RTF in Calibre, convert to ePub, open that ePub in Sigil, and then I create 20-30 chapter breaks to make chapters.

So...what is the best way to create ePub from 20-30 HTML files/chapters?
PaladinBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinBL View Post
I have the same problem with Calibre. When I create LRF in Calibre it looks great, but with ePub I have the same problem.
If you experience the same problem with both Calibre and Sigil, then the problem is not in Calibre or Sigil.

It could be something with your HTML files... I honestly couldn't tell you. You'd have to create an issue on the tracker and attach the HTML files, then I could take a look at it. Read this wiki page.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
PaladinBL
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If you experience the same problem with both Calibre and Sigil, then the problem is not in Calibre or Sigil.
Yes, it is obvious

I asked here because I hoped that maybe someone had the same problem and have some advice. Creating an "issue" will be appropriate if this is Sigil-only error, but it seems that it's not the case.

And another thing, when I insert several HTML files in Sigil (HTML charset is windows-1250) that have (our ) letters č-ć-š-đ-ž and save as ePub then I have those letters in reader, but if I close Sigil and then open that ePub again in Sigil then Sigil will not display those letters.

Can you take a look at a three HTML files that give me this problems?
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTML.zip (35.1 KB, 337 views)
Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And another thing, when I insert several HTML files in Sigil (HTML charset is windows-1250) that have (our ) letters č-ć-š-đ-ž and save as ePub then I have those letters in reader, but if I close Sigil and then open that ePub again in Sigil then Sigil will not display those letters.
Tried it, bug confirmed.

Hvala kolega što si ga ulovio.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Valloric

As a quick fix, change this line:
Code:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1250">
to this:

Code:
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1250">
in all three files. It seems the attributes being in all caps throws Tidy off his game.
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Valloric

This is now fixed in trunk.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
I have a problem when creating ePub from HTML. Can I use option "Add existing items" to add HTML files? It look that I can but when I insert, for example, three HTML files and save it as ePub I have this situation: first HTML file have 10 pages on PRS-505 reader, it opens only first page, then skips next nine pages and it jumps after 1st page directly to 10th page (that is first page of second HTML file), and after that it jumps to 24. page (that is first page of third HTML file). So I only have first page on reader of every HTML file, I see just fraction of text that I have in HTML files.
This problem happens because all of you text is inside an HTML table. just remove the table and it should go away.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
PaladinBL
Enthusiast

Yes, the problem was in the HTML table. Now works as it should, thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
PaladinBL
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
This problem happens because all of you text is inside an HTML table. just remove the table and it should go away.
As I can see I need to do it manually for all HTML files inside ePub file. Maybe it will be nice if there will be a option to do Find and Replace for all (HTML) files inside ePub. Find and Replace work for one file but not for all of them at once.

I have another situation where Find and Replace on all files will be great, if I make ePub in Calibre then page title have code

<h3 class="calibre17">11. OBRED OBESVEĆENJA</h3>

But on reader this "ć" will not be displayed because of this class="calibre17", but it will be diplayed if I delete that part and have just

<h3>11. OBRED OBESVEĆENJA</h3>

And I have to do that editing on all HTML files inside ePub in Sigil, one by one.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Valloric

Quote:
Maybe it will be nice if there will be a option to do Find and Replace for all (HTML) files inside ePub.
Already tracked. See this issue report.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
PaladinBL
Enthusiast

Great

I'm not pushing you but I am curious: will that be finished soon?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I have another situation where Find and Replace on all files will be great, if I make ePub in Calibre then page title have code

<h3 class="calibre17">11. OBRED OBESVEĆENJA</h3>

But on reader this "ć" will not be displayed because of this class="calibre17", but it will be diplayed if I delete that part and have just

<h3>11. OBRED OBESVEĆENJA</h3>

And I have to do that editing on all HTML files inside ePub in Sigil, one by one.
Or you could try & see what the CSS 'calibre17' is doing to stop the character showing up (maybe setting a font-definition) and just remove that, as that would have the same effect but you'd only need to edit the singe CSS definition.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
PaladinBL
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Or you could try & see what the CSS 'calibre17' is doing to stop the character showing up (maybe setting a font-definition)
Where can I see that? Where is that CSS?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Where can I see that? Where is that CSS?
CSS is the Style Sheet with all the style information.
If you use version 0.2.0 of Sigil, you'll find the Styles section in the Book Browser on the left hand side.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote