Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
jessme7
jessme7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Can Ex Delete My Books?

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am sure I will find my answer here and also discover many new things to do with my Kindle2.
I got a Kindle 2 for Christmas from my boyfriend that is now my EX since I caught him Cheating! When he gave me this Kindle he linked his account on it and told me to buy whatever books I want . Now the problem is that can he erase or delete these books I have on MY kindle 2 or continue buying books? Or do I need to re-register it and start with 0 books. Thank you all so much.
jessme7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
You should probably call Amazon CS and ask. I don't think he can delete directly off of your Kindle but he can delete the book from the account and then I *think* that would delete it from your Kindle when it syncs with that account.

I know people in the past have sold Kindles with books on them and the new owner was able to read the books. However, those books would not be listed in your account and your only recourse would be to keep copies of the files somewhere safe so that you would have access to them. This would only apply to books that have the Amazon DRM.

Welcome to Mobileread!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You definitely need to register it to your account. Save a backup copy of the books you want to keep first, because you will not be able to re-download the ones on his account.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
jessme7

Thanks for the answer.
Do I just have to keep my Wireless OFF? and I can keep the 30 books I bought (or he bought) on here?

How do I back it up on my MacBook?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
He bought you 30 books and a Kindle 2? Are you sure you want to dump him?

But seriously, e-books are just files. Grab a copy of Kindle for Mac, register your account. Then make sure you copy the e-books from your Kindle to your Mac inside and outside of the Kindle for Mac.

You'll want to turn wireless ON at some point; it does have some nifty advantages.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
He bought you 30 books and a Kindle 2? Are you sure you want to dump him?

But seriously, e-books are just files. Grab a copy of Kindle for Mac, register your account. Then make sure you copy the e-books from your Kindle to your Mac inside and outside of the Kindle for Mac.

You'll want to turn wireless ON at some point; it does have some nifty advantages.
Clearly her ex is an insensitive brute who expects her to sit around all day reading and eating bon-bons until she bloats up like a blimp!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You definitely need to register it to your account. Save a backup copy of the books you want to keep first, because you will not be able to re-download the ones on his account.
It's probably a decent habit to get into regardless. Most Kindle owners jalbreak their books immediately in case Amazon does something screwy.

I'm not sure about the legalities of posting information on mobileread, about how to do so (I think the forum has been attacked by copyright organizations in the past?) But a google of the phrase: "remove drm kindle books" finds a lot of good info!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
jessme7

I am still not too sure how to back-up my books on my Kindle2 on my Mac. I did the search on google but not really leading me to anything definite. I may just have to keep my wispernet off =(, because I am sure the ex will dispute the books and Amazon will delete them. Since I downloaded 16 books in the last couple days.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If the Kindle is on your ex's account then you can be prepared for him to close that account. This is what exes do. At that point you will need to create a new account of your own.
Meanwhile, download all the books asocoated with the original account (in case he remembers soon) and keep them in a folder on your computer until you learn how to free them.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
P.S. If the ex has not yet closed the account then I'd buy some more books while the going is good.
Is there a book on why some men have a prediliction for cheating? This would be a good buy. And he'd have it on the account as a little reminder.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
This is sooo juicy....

P.S. Men aren't the only ones that cheat...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
jessme7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
P.S. If the ex has not yet closed the account then I'd buy some more books while the going is good.
Is there a book on why some men have a prediliction for cheating? This would be a good buy. And he'd have it on the account as a little reminder.
That is such a great idea!!!
I would do that but I am a little afraid to turn on the wispernet. I thought about downloading even more books also, but that would just be evil right? Well I am sure in the end he would not have to pay for these "unauthorized" books. Eventhough he did give me the ok to a while back.
I did connect the kindle to my Mac and copied all the files in the document folder on the Kindle. Does that sound right? Thanks for all the idea's guys.

Last edited by jessme7; 01-10-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
How about this book? I just searched 'infidelity' in kindle books
My Husband's Affair Became the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me (Kindle Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/Husbands-Affai...3168726&sr=1-5
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessme7 View Post
That is such a great idea!!!
I would do that but I am a little afraid to turn on the wispernet. I thought about downloading even more books also, but that would just be evil right? Well I am sure in the end he would not have to pay for these "unauthorized" books. Eventhough he did give me the ok to a while back.
I did connect the kindle to my Mac and copied all the files in the document folder on the Kindle. Does that sound right? Thanks for all the idea's guys.
If you are no longer together, it wouldn't be right to download more books, regardless of the heel he has proven to be. That would just reflect badly on you.

Contact Amazon and see about getting your own account set up. Perhaps they can move the books to that one.

Let us know how this works out!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Also, jessme7, you could just enjoy the Kindle 2 as is ... and, like you are doing with the ex, start over. Who needs the bad karma of the books he bought you? Load up your new Kindle 2 with the books which will inspire you as you enter a new world.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote