Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Thanks all. I hope you enjoy Boomerang.

Best,
Alan
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you, Alan. I grabbed it and have already started it! The story has kept me turning the pages, and I can't wait to see what happens.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Thank you, Alan. I grabbed it and have already started it! The story has kept me turning the pages, and I can't wait to see what happens.
I can't think of anything a writer would rather hear! Thank you!

If anyone is inspired to post a review either on Smashwords or Amazon, that would be great. Honest "What I liked, what I didn't like" reviews are, of course, the best.

Gotta go to work now, but this looks like the best place I've found so far to learn about the Wonderful World of ebooks.

Alan
Old 10-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
plumboz
Novelist

One week left on the coupon. Or the Kindle version should be nicely updated in just a few days!

The opening chapters can be sampled at my blog:

Sketches by Plumboz

and my Novel in Progress, The Baer Boys, is running as a sort of First Draft Serial on my other blog

The Baer Boys

Best,
Alan

Last edited by plumboz; 10-04-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #20
plumboz
Novelist

The New File is Up!

Hi everyone,

I am really, really glad to be able to announce that the Really Good File for Boomerang (along with the very nice cover art done for me by 911Jason) is now live on Amazon Kindle.

Just a dollar.

Ted Hogwood's beloved Sarah, a jazz guitar, is in the window of Topp Dollar Pawn. The only way he can get the money to rescue her is to accept an assignment from the AABC, a not nearly official branch of the United States Intelligence community. He is partnered with Jerry Kwiatkowski, master of the Hammond B-3 organ and chronic flatulence sufferer, to steal a boomerang containing secrets that should have died with J. Edgar Hoover over thirty years ago. It would be a simple job if only they knew what they were doing. And if a crossbow wielding assassin, two unemployed Australian women, the Director of Central Intelligence and a clothing optional ex-cheerleader were not also hot on the boomerang's trail.

Boomerang for Kindle

Boomerang at Smashwords

Best,
Alan Hutcheson (plumboz)
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
plumboz
Novelist

The response to the free offer for Boomerang has been really nice. Thanks to everyone who has added it to their ebook library.

I misquoted the coupon expiration date in the earlier note. It was actually set up to be good through October 15.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4167

Coupon code: QQ46G

Best,
Alan
Old 10-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thank you Alan. I picked it up!
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #23
plumboz
Novelist

I thought perhaps a short excerpt might be in order. Chapter Two is quite short; we'll chance the entire thing.

The George Bush (the elder) Intelligence Center
Langley, Virginia
The next day (April 13th)

Hank Berringer, recently minted Assistant Deputy Director of the CIA, looked at the round, slightly glistening man sitting in front of his desk. Berringer made as if to lift up a dark green, one-inch three-ring binder that was sitting on his desk and then seemed to think better of it. Instead he tapped it.

“Just how sure are you about the accuracy of this report?” he asked the round man, whose name was Tad Rushmore. Mr. Rushmore was Senior Research Historian for the CIA, and had held that post for over twenty years.

“I did have my doubts, at first,” said Rushmore. “Just another apocryphal Hoover story to go with all the rest. But as you can see there is a nearly perfect statistical match in all of the important evaluative criteria. Add that to the current trails I found leading to Australia and Massachusetts and the conclusion is inescapable.”

“And this all started when J. Edgar Hoover tried to rig the 1948 presidential election?”

“That was the genesis of the situation,” said Rushmore.

“But he failed.”

“In his objective, yes. But the fact that he was able to manipulate the system as far as he did is, well...”

“Not exactly the sort of news the American people are interested in hearing,” Hank filled in the blank. “Or the administration.”

“The fallout could be considerable.”

“That‘s one way of putting it,” said Berringer. His finger was poised to tap the binder again, but instead eased it away a couple of inches.
What it said in the binder was that in the late 1940's FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover had commissioned a group of agencies-strictly without congressional knowledge or approval-which were answerable only to him. The agencies had been established around the country in twenty-six key voting regions and their sole purpose had been to influence, by any means possible, the outcome of the 1948 Presidential election. Hoover had apparently tired of Harry Truman's intrusive and restrictive style of leadership and was intent on ousting him in favor of a more pliable occupant in the White House. The Alphabet Agencies, so called because Hoover had simply assigned each of them a letter as identification, had been covertly funded with money from pork barrel projects that never existed, inserted into bills introduced on the House and Senate floors by members of Congress beholden to Hoover for earlier favors, mostly of the Mum's the Word variety. Only one of the honorable members of Congress had thought it proper to ask just what Mr. Hoover intended to do with his under the table money. His curiosity had been considerably dampened by the next day arrival of a packet of photographs, anonymously delivered to his office, which featured himself and a person who was not anyone's wife caught in moments of tender ecstasy. A promise of express home delivery of a second set was included in the envelope.

The Alphabet Agencies were generously funded, but in a triumph of the democratic system they did not succeed. And all would have been well if the only place one could find this potentially damning bit of American history was in the report on Hank Berringer's desk.

“I wouldn't have even brought it to your attention,” said Rushmore, “if this curious combination of factors wasn‘t in play.”

“You did the right thing,” Berringer said. To himself he thought, “But I wish to hell you had plopped this cowpie on somebody else's desk.” According to Rushmore's research the Alphabet Agencies, or at least one of them, had survived to present day. So chances were somebody knew something that could deeply compromise the position of The United States as World Leader and Sterling Example. Well, further compromise it, anyway.

It was Hank Berringer's job to make sure that didn't happen.

Actually, it was his job to find someone else to do it. In this case Hank knew it would have to be someone completely unconnected with any United States intelligence agency. Which just added another layer or two of unpredictability. Wasn't that just great.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #24
plumboz
Novelist

Wow, almost a hundred and fifty copies of Boomerang have been downloaded from either Amazon or Smashwords in just under three weeks. This might not seem like a lot to some folks, but it's very gratifying to me to have that many people pick up on my writing. Thanks to everyone who has checked it out so far. The coupon for the Smashwords edition is still good through October 15.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4167

Coupon code: DL66H

And here's where you can find it on Amazon for Kindle

http://www.amazon.com/Boomerang/dp/B...5135050&sr=8-2

Thanks!
Alan

Last edited by plumboz; 10-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #25
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Thanks, Alan. I missed the October 10th cut-off for the first coupon code you provided, so thanks for the second code. I'm half-way through A. Sparrow's excellent Xenolith, also available on Smashwords, and your Boomerang is next on my list.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #26
plumboz
Novelist

Hi Moe,

Thanks for picking up Boomerang. The response has been really nice. I hope you enjoy it.

And I know you already know this, but I'll just mention for myself and all my fellow "Coupon Authors" here, that if you like what you read, please help us out by passing the word along. Independent writers are kind of like independent bands; we put our work out there and then depend on good ol' Word of Mouth!

Best,
Alan
Old 10-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #27
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I didn't know whether to post here or on the other thread...https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59563

so I just decided to post here with the other comments..

I am still reading and cracking up at the antics of the characters. I love following Amelia and Doreen (I can just picture them as they fall into and out of situations.) and Ted and Jerry (that guy has more stuff he is into than poor Ted can keep up with).

I am having a blast reading as the story get more and more involved. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Last edited by dreams; 10-21-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 AM   #28
plumboz
Novelist

Dreams,
It's been a really long, pretty exhausting day and to be able to come home, heat up a slice of leftover pizza, switch on the computer and see that note made it all somehow disappear. Thanks so much for the kind words. I am really glad you are enjoying Boomerang.

Best,
Alan
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #29
plumboz
Novelist

This seems to be the right thread for me to put this update:

And while we're at it, an extension of the coupon to get Boomerang free from Smashwords.

Coupon Code: DL66H

Boomerang at Smashwords

And Boomerang for Kindle at Amazon. It's a dollar there.

Last edited by plumboz; 10-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
plumboz
Novelist

Love to Hear What You Think

Thanks to everyone who already has, or is about to check out Boomerang. I would love to hear from more of you about what you think of the book. Right here on the thread, or personal emails to me at alanhutcheson@gmail.com are both great.

If there's something that didn't seem quite right, or maybe just not to your taste, please don't worry about offending. I'm in this for the long haul (and believe you me, it's a long haul process) and it helps to hear what people think.

Best to all,
Alan