Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
gordon
gordon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Question Wrapped/Corrupt Screen on 505?

My 505 is about 2 years old - no real problems, one hard reset due to power button stopping to work once.

Turned it on after not using it for a couple of weeks (charged once without checking it) and it seems to work except it has a wrapped screen with corruption (photo attached).

It seems fully powered and fully functional, gives me a red charge light when plugged in via USB and I've soft and hard reset it to no avail!

Could the actual eInk display somehow been damaged? How would that have happened?

Any helps or thoughts appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	563.3 KB
ID:	35565  

Last edited by gordon; 09-06-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Changing attached image to something slightly better - cellphone photo, sorry!
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
It's most likely not the e-inkt as the entire screen shifted to the right. If something went ploink inside your reader it's more likely that the screen controller that kicked the bucket...

It could also be caused by a drained battery, that doesn't get enough power via USB to recharge, it has happened before. Readers are known to do weird stuff once they get to low on electro juice.

Maybe recharging it via a PSP adapter would fix it...
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_Willie2 View Post
Maybe recharging it via a PSP adapter would fix it...
Yes, I think Patricia said her screen went all funny and a good thorough charging using a wall charger took care of it. Maybe that will be the case here.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
gordon

Unfortunately re-charging via the wall today has not helped.

The screen is also marked when all power is off.

I went to the useless SonyStyle store and they gave me the Sony support number so I guess I will call them tomorrow. As wild_willie2 notes, it looks like trauma but not that I can recall occurring, which makes me somewhat reluctant to replace the reader if its doomed.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
gordon

Smile Resolved

The end of the saga.

I called the amazingly helpful tech support (with no wait in phone line) and got a courteous and smart agent. Not what I was suspecting, especially after the dud SonyStyle experience.

Within an instant I was at the "exchange" stage of the conversation (one quick description; a couple of discussions about reset and power) where for $108 they would send me a refurb (with a 'new' warranty) and I would send them back my squid.

$108 is an ok deal - its a 2 year old (almost) device, well out of warranty and it's half the price of buying a PRS300. So I said yes.

The call was on Thursday, I received some email and a UPS tracking number Friday and the new 505 arrived today - pretty efficient.

I have to return the dud one, but that's ok!

eReading once more and surprised at Sony CS - it's a shame that I'm surprised at good CS.
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Scotch
Enthusiast
Scotch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle
I have what appears to be the exact same problem right now! I came here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and the photo you posted could have been mine. I'm charging my Reader now via the USB cable as I haven't done a long charge for a long time and I'm hoping that an overnight charge might solve the problem. (I don't own a wall charger; else I'd give that a try.) If recharging and rebooting doesn't work, I'll give Sony CS a call. I'd hate for this to really be dead as I've owned it just under a year. It should be under warranty; however, since I purchased it off eBay (albeit it was a new Reader), I don't know if Sony would honor the warranty.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 AM   #7
Scotch
Enthusiast
Scotch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle
Please help

So overnight charging via my USB cord did not fix the problem; the screen/ink still looks messed up. I bought a Energizer compatible PSP charger and I've had it plugged in for hours; but I still don't see a difference. Also, never having used a wall charger, I don't know if this is working right. The red light was on initially when the charger was plugged in; but then the light goes off. Is the red light supposed to stay on?
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
red light is on when the unit is charging and goes off when it is done.
if I'm correct -- USB recharge is 5V at 1 amp where the wall charger outputs 5V at 2AMPS.

good luck!
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote