Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
flyfisher33
Enthusiast
flyfisher33 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Faded html toc

W7, ID CS6, DW CS6
When I convert an ePub created in ID CS6 to Kindle using Kindlegen the toc is very faded (light blue). I reworked the CSS in DW to increase the font weight to bold. This helped a little but the resulting mobi file is still unpleasantly light regardless of the fact that the ePub is now unpleasantly heavy. Do I just have to live with this or has someone found a fix?

Paul
flyfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Open the ebook in calibre's Edit Book or Sigil.

Find the CSS that is affecting the ToC specifically, and tell it to render links as black instead of the default.

E-Ink ereaders will show it as black regardless (and I suspect tablet readers are used to it).

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-28-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: only two "t"s in htttp :smack:
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
flyfisher33
Enthusiast

Hi, I tried that. The code and css show the color as black but that's not what's happening. I redefined the css styles which let me "bold" the font but, even though the color is black, I still get light blue text on output. It's maddening.

Forgot to add the code:
<p class="toc-1"><a href="Acknowledgements_CS6.xhtml#toc_marker-1">Acknowledgments</a></p>
p.toc-1 {
color: #000000;
font-family: "Chaparral Pro", serif;
font-size: 1em;
font-style: normal;
font-variant: normal;
font-weight: bold;
line-height: 1.2;
margin-bottom: 0px;
margin-left: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-top: 5px;
text-align: left;
text-decoration: none;
text-indent: 0px;
}

Last edited by flyfisher33; 01-28-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: forgot the code
Old 01-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Aside for all thse totally unnecessary lines overriding the default values with... the default values...

Where are you testing this? IIRC Adobe Digital Editions for example arbitrarily overrides the look of links (but it should work elsewhere, for a given value of "elsewhere"), also what is the style for a { ... } ?

Both Sigil and calibre allow you to see what CSS affects an element, using the webkit Inspector. calibre also has the Live CSS tool.
Where is the change introduced?

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-28-2015 at 02:09 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
/* unvisited link */
a:link {
}

/* visited link */
a:visited {
}
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
flyfisher33
Enthusiast

Great! That got me 90% of the way. Now, how do I restrict this to the toc only and not all the links in the book?
Instant redux--too quick on the trigger! It didn't affect the other documents. Many thanks.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
/* unvisited link */
a:link {
}

/* visited link */
a:visited {
}

Last edited by flyfisher33; 01-28-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher33 View Post
Great! That got me 90% of the way. Now, how do I restrict this to the toc only and not all the links in the book?
Instant redux--too quick on the trigger! It didn't affect the other documents. Many thanks.
Paul
.toc-1 a:visited,
.toc-1 a:hover,
.toc-1 a:link,
.toc-1 a:active {
}

You probably don't have to set hover and active on most readers, but it doesn't hurt to be complete.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote