Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
LoRdAc][d
LoRdAc][d began at the beginning.

Device: NST
Ubuntu Calibre only auto adds on program startup

Hello Everyone,

I've been wrestling with this for a couple of days. I have my Calibre all nicely setup and working on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Doing an apt-show-versions calibre shows it is Calibre 0.8.38. Is this too old? I installed it using this process on June 3, 2014:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/calibre
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install calibre

My library is on my Synology NAS, and my auto-add folder is also on my Synology NAS. This setup all works great, except...

The auto add ONLY works when I restart Calibre or restart Ubuntu (hence Calibre also restarting). Is there a command I can use to for Calibre to scan the auto-add directories? Or has anyone else run into something like this?

Thanks for your help!

* Edit 1: After some reading, it looks like the apt-get repository version of calibre isn't the latest. So I am trying to install it based on the instructions from the official calibre website.

* Edit 2: Updating to the latest version (1.39) did not fix the problem. The auto add folder is only scanned when I open Calibre, for example closing and re-opening Calibre.

Any ideas how I can force a rescan of the auto-add folder?

Last edited by LoRdAc][d; 06-06-2014 at 09:43 PM.
LoRdAc][d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
LoRdAc][d

Deleted. Not sure how to delete posts...

Last edited by LoRdAc][d; 06-06-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Advert
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
LoRdAc][d

Deleted. Not sure how to delete posts...

Last edited by LoRdAc][d; 06-06-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seem to recall that the API's used for monitoring for new material only worked on local file systems; not networked ones.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
LoRdAc][d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I seem to recall that the API's used for monitoring for new material only worked on local file systems; not networked ones.
*sigh* That's the feeling I've been getting too reading other's posts online... I guess I'll just have to setup scheduled rsyncs or something...
Advert
Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
LoRdAc][d

Just an update, after changing the auto-add folder to a local folder, auto add has stopped working completely. The auto add folder is:

/home/<username>/CalibreAutoAdd/

Any ideas? =(
Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRdAc][d View Post
Just an update, after changing the auto-add folder to a local folder, auto add has stopped working completely. The auto add folder is:

/home/<username>/CalibreAutoAdd/

Any ideas? =(
The trailing slash or did the 'browse' tool put it there?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
LoRdAc][d

I was able to fix this problem. The Auto Add not working on local folders was solved by doing a chmod 777 on all files in the auto add directory.

I am now doing a cron scheduled rsync with a mounted remote folder that exists on my NAS to a local folder on Ubuntu that Calibre scans. I also have the NAS folder linked to a dropbox folder, so I can add books to my Calibre library from anywhere I have access to my Dropbox.

If anyone is curious how I did this:

I linked a folder on my Dropbox to a folder on my NAS using mklink in the Windows 7 command line.

I then mounted that NAS folder on ubuntu by modifying /etc/fstab

I then setup a 1 minute cron job to rsync the mounted folder with a local folder, using the --remove-from-source option so files aren't re-synced

For this to work, I also added a 1 minute cron job to chmod 777 all files in the local folder

Calibre is set to auto add from that local folder

Hope that helps anyone out there trying a similar setup as mine.

Last edited by LoRdAc][d; 06-07-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was able to fix this problem. The Auto Add not working on local folders was solved by doing a chmod 777 on all files in the auto add directory.

I am now doing a cron scheduled rsync with a mounted remote folder that exists on my NAS to a local folder on Ubuntu that Calibre scans. I also have the NAS folder linked to a dropbox folder, so I can add books to my Calibre library from anywhere I have access to my Dropbox.

If anyone is curious how I did this:

I linked a folder on my Dropbox to a folder on my NAS using mklink in the Windows 7 command line.

I then mounted that NAS folder on ubuntu by modifying /etc/fstab

I then setup a 1 minute cron job to rsync the mounted folder with a local folder, using the --remove-from-source option so files aren't re-synced

For this to work, I also added a 1 minute cron job to chmod 777 all files in the local folder

Calibre is set to auto add from that local folder

Hope that helps anyone out there trying a similar setup as mine.
777 is a clear sledge hammer approach: 771 won't work?
Who is the owner of the files, maybe a chown is needed on the files
Old 06-08-2014, 03:16 AM   #10
LoRdAc][d

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
777 is a clear sledge hammer approach: 771 won't work?
Who is the owner of the files, maybe a chown is needed on the files
The files are coming from Windows 7 systems, so the owners vary. I will try 771.

*edit: 771 does not work. Switching to 777 worked.

Last edited by LoRdAc][d; 06-08-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The files are coming from Windows 7 systems, so the owners vary. I will try 771.

*edit: 771 does not work. Switching to 777 worked.
777 works because of ownership of those files belong to neither the current USER nor Group, thus needing the World access rights.

I think the W7 piece is a red herring.
Somewhere in the chain to-from the NAS, the owner/rights are getting lost/messed.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
LoRdAc][d

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
777 works because of ownership of those files belong to neither the current USER nor Group, thus needing the World access rights.

I think the W7 piece is a red herring.
Somewhere in the chain to-from the NAS, the owner/rights are getting lost/messed.
The only files that pass through the autoadd/nas/dropbox folders are epub/pdf documents. I don't see a risk in 777 access if it's just those file types, unless I'm missing something?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The only files that pass through the autoadd/nas/dropbox folders are epub/pdf documents. I don't see a risk in 777 access if it's just those file types, unless I'm missing something?
Just me being Security paranoid.
777 is an unlocked door

Tags
auto add, calibre, ubuntu