Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #901
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
"Ah, a folder within a folder. Two levels"

"Three"
Ok I see where you're going with this and it's inherent problems. Never mind
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #902
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would like to be able to manually order books in a shelf.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #903
Riffey
Riffey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I bought my Kobo Touch this week and I have some minor feature requests too.

I would like to have a sort by: "date added". I only see Title, Author, File type and Recent reads. When I upload my newspaper as Epub, it's somewhere in the middle of my books, and I have to search for it by name.

I read some newspapers on my Kobo, and it's a lot of clicks to get back to the table of contents (tap screen to get the menu bar, tap the "book", tap Table of contents.)
Maybe the table of contents button could be on the menu bar.

I use the browser to read online news and wikipedia and so on. On almost every screen you can see the wifi icon in the top bar, but not in the browser. So when you're just out of reach of your access point, you can't see that.
Maybe the wifi indicator could be displayed in the browser too.

And I would like to have a page up/down button in the browser screen. The scroll bar isn't that big, and it's too close to the edge to drag or tap.

Just my tiny remarks, I'm very satisfied with my Kobo so far
Riffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #904
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffey View Post
I would like to have a sort by: "date added". I only see Title, Author, File type and Recent reads. When I upload my newspaper as Epub, it's somewhere in the middle of my books, and I have to search for it by name.
Try "Recent reads". New books added are considered recently read. I don't know have any newspapers, so I don't know if they treated the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #905
Riffey
Riffey began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Try "Recent reads". New books added are considered recently read. I don't know have any newspapers, so I don't know if they treated the same.
Ah. I didn't even try that, because I hadn't read them yet.
I download my newspapers in epub format, so I'm guessing they are considered books.
Kobo doesn't offer Dutch newspapers or magazines yet, so I'm glad my newspaper comes in an epub format.
Riffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #906
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
News papers and magazines I download with Calibre then use Calibre to transfer to T1 are with periodicals.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #907
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I'm getting quite annoyed by the very poor extended character / unicode support in almost all the Kobo's bundled fonts. I read a lot of anthropology and history with use accented characters / diacritics, which invariable show up as boxes on the Touch.

If a particular font lacks a character shouldn't the Touch's OS at least be smart enough to fetch it from a font that does?
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #908
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Blank lines / white space

I prefer reading the epub version rather than the kepub version of a book as the page lay-out looks so much better. Kepubs always look very messy to me. I find this very distracting while reading.

Kepubs don't (while epubs do)
  • respect intended white space / blank lines by author / publisher while the ADE epub handles them correctly.
    It seems to ignore completely all "empty" lines like <p>&nbsp;</p> or like wise variants.
    Kepubs look like
    Scene 1 text
    Scene 2 text
    Scene 3 text

(no scene beaks)

While it should look like
    Scene 1 text

Scene 2 text

Scene 3 text

(with scene beaks)
  • always repect centered text (not in every case).
    Text is centered in epub but not in kepub (left).

In kepubs (where epubs don't)
  • each text line is followed by a blank line, while the blank line shouldn't be there at all. Seems a margin or padding issue (margin-bottom or padding-bottom).
    Kepub looks like

line1
    empty line
    line 2
    empty line
    line 3

while it should look like
    line 1
    line 2
    line 3

To me, these small imperfections are very easy to correct and contribute to a better reading experience.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #909
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post

In kepubs (where epubs don't)
  • each text line is followed by a blank line, while the blank line shouldn't be there at all. Seems a margin or padding issue (margin-bottom or padding-bottom).
    Kepub looks like

line1
    empty line
    line 2
    empty line
    line 3

while it should look like
    line 1
    line 2
    line 3

To me, these small imperfections are very easy to correct and contribute to a better reading experience.
I edited the kobo.css file manually to fix this problem. I was right, it is a margin/padding problem.

Code:
Original code (kobo.css)
…
p, div
{
	font-size: 14pt;
	line-height: 1.475em !important; 
	text-indent: 0 !important;
	margin: 0 !important;
	padding-top: 0 !important;
	padding-bottom: 1.0em !important;
	text-align:		left !important;
}
…
Code:
Edited code (kobo.css)
…
p, div
{
	font-size: 14pt;
	line-height: 1.475em !important; 
	text-indent: 0 !important;
	margin: 0 !important;
	padding-top: 0 !important;
	padding-bottom: 0 !important;
	text-align:		left !important;
}
…
BTW: padding: 0 !important; also works just fine.

Kobo should use padding(-bottom): 0 !important; as default.

Last edited by Anak; 08-18-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #910
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I would really appreciate the addition of a low battery warning.

I hardly ever see the battery status icon when I'm enjoying a book (I either read, or leave my KT in sleep mode, and when I read and check the dictionary I'm too focussed on the book to notice the battery in the corner). Almost every time the battery has died, it died unexpectedly and in the middle of reading. Very frustrating! I'd like to be warned when to expect my KT to die.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #911
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Support for diacritics!!! It's gone with 2.0...
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #912
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boruteczko View Post
Support for diacritics!!! It's gone with 2.0...
All of these regressions are really baffling.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #913
andreib
andreib began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch
Low battery warning needed!

Exactly the problem I'm having!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I would really appreciate the addition of a low battery warning.

I hardly ever see the battery status icon when I'm enjoying a book (I either read, or leave my KT in sleep mode, and when I read and check the dictionary I'm too focussed on the book to notice the battery in the corner). Almost every time the battery has died, it died unexpectedly and in the middle of reading. Very frustrating! I'd like to be warned when to expect my KT to die.
andreib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #914
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about a "Shelf Initial Setup" wizard/function that will automatically create a list of shelves to be generated based on the folder structure of the KT and SD card? A checkbox could be provided to the left of each 'suggestion' and an option to change the shelf name. Shelves would then be populated with the ebook contents of that folder.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #915
timss
timss began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
How about a "Shelf Initial Setup" wizard/function that will automatically create a list of shelves to be generated based on the folder structure of the KT and SD card? A checkbox could be provided to the left of each 'suggestion' and an option to change the shelf name. Shelves would then be populated with the ebook contents of that folder.
That's an excellent idea! That, plus the ability to add a book to a shelf from the book details menu would make shelves useable.
timss is offline   Reply With Quote