Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Unhappy Convert Sony books to Kindle books

My PRS 505 (bought in 2008) is dead. First there was a line through the screen, and now it will not hold a charge. I have about 300 books on the 505, and I have a SD card with all the books on it. I have a Kindle which I love. I am sure that this question has been asked and answered, but I cannot find an answer I can understand. How can I convert the BBeb/LRF file format to the AZW/Mobi? I have Caliber downloaded.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If he books do not have DRM protection, then simply convert them to the .MOBI format with Calibre. If they do have DRM protection then you should google for details on how to do this (it is against forum policies to give details here) before adding them to Calibre for conversion.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If they are LRF files (meaning no DRM) you should be able to add them all to a Calibre library and convert them to Mobi format.

If they are LRX files (meaning they have DRM [were bought from Sony]) then you can't convert them as there's no way to remove DRM from LRX files at this time. However is they are LRX files it might/should be possible to re-download them from Sony in ePub format which can have the DRM removed. If that's the case and you choose to remove the DRM the ePubs will convert quite nicely to Mobi format.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Linda
Enthusiast

Another question

If I can get them converted to Epub by Sony, do I just use Caliber to convert the Epub to Mobi format?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Epub files can still have DRM which would need removing before Calibre can convert them, but methods of removing DRM from epub files are available.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
If I can get them converted to Epub by Sony, do I just use Caliber to convert the Epub to Mobi format?
You'd still have to remove the DRM (google "inept epub") before converting them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Once you have them DRM-free, in whatever format and by whatever means, then yes, calibre will convert them to the format of your choice.

And this is why DRM is a Bad Thing. Seriously, would anyone buy paper books if their books were all destroyed when they moved to a new apartment? Obviously not. So why do we tolerate a system that destroys our books when we move to a new reading device?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Linda
Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies. Sony said that I could redownload them in the epub format. I will have to see if they are DRM protected.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
Thank you for the replies. Sony said that I could redownload them in the epub format. I will have to see if they are DRM protected.
They will be DRM protected.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
how to...

I sent you a file that should clarify things. Similar thing happened to me....my Bookeen died and I switched to a Sony.

Good Luck!
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I strongly believe we should use the phrase "DRM restricted", not "DRM protected".

"Protected" is what the publishing industry wants us to say, because protection sounds like a good thing. But what are they "protected" against? They're protected against us being able to use them, which is what caused Linda to lose the use of all of her books. We need to be careful not to perpetuate the publishers' spin and propaganda, and one way to do that is to not allow them to choose our vocabulary for us.

It's a small thing, but so is a sequoia seed.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I strongly believe we should use the phrase "DRM restricted", not "DRM protected".

"Protected" is what the publishing industry wants us to say, because protection sounds like a good thing. But what are they "protected" against? They're protected against us being able to use them, which is what caused Linda to lose the use of all of her books. We need to be careful not to perpetuate the publishers' spin and propaganda, and one way to do that is to not allow them to choose our vocabulary for us.

It's a small thing, but so is a sequoia seed.
Great point. The change from "estate tax" to "death tax" is another example of how language can shape perceptions. There was no real push to repeal the estate tax, because how many of us have "estates"? But everybody dies.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kindle, sony