Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #31
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
I have all the reader except Kobo touch, in my opinion the best is Kindle Touch 3G with lighted cover and US account.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #32
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That would make me want to ask if you weren't looking at a Kobo Vox (which does have a proprietary charger apparently)? The Kobo Touch has a pretty standard Micro USB (NOT a Mini USB) connector (as John said). Most cell phones in North America have used this for at least a couple of years and if I'm not mistaken it is becoming the regulated standard in the EU.
As John suggested I convert RTF files with Calibre to e-pub and it works well.
I have no problem with the cable for my KT - the standard USB end plugs in to either the computer or the wall charger I use for my iPod, and I'm in Australia. So if the Kobo Vox has a different charger, maybe that is what you were shown.

And also I have the occasional lack of response to a page turn tap, but it's only now and then and doesn't bother me. I'm very happy with my KT, but if you want to look at another ePub ereader available in Australia, check the Sony Touch, which my husband has.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #33
read abc
read abc began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman112 View Post
Agreed - I bought a Kobo Touch when they came out, but only recently started using it- it wont work with anything but what I buy from Kobo itself, making it effectively useless to me.
Have you installed an extra SDHC card, you can purchase epub from any site and just export to the additional memory the same as you would send any data to a memory stick
read abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #34
VividTree
VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!VividTree is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo touch
Strange that people are having trouble with Kobo Touch... I find mine perfectly ok.

Geenp, can you please try this comparison and let me know if it helped at all?
VividTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #35
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
But the other end is a standard USB connector. Do you have any wallwarts that take a standard USB connector?
No idea what a wallwart is. But yeah I can sort it out - I wasn't really asking for solutions, just information.

Quote:
I recall from the Kobo forum that the Mobi support is limited. You would probably want to use Calibre to convert from Mobi to Epub.
An RTF file I tried had a lot of indenting and different font sizes, the result on the Kobo was not pretty.
Yeah, again, just info-gathering. All my current ebooks are epub, not mobi, but there are some authors I read who are tending to release their stuff in mobi format only (bowing to the almighty Amazon) but without DRM, so people can do their own translation, which in many cases in my experience seems to degrade the formatting. So I was wondering if Kobo claiming it supported mobi format was really just a qualified "maybe". (Sounds like it is.)

I've got a little experience of Calibre, but don't like it much myself (such as the way it restructures and renames your collection), so I don't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have no problem with the cable for my KT - the standard USB end plugs in to either the computer or the wall charger I use for my iPod, and I'm in Australia. So if the Kobo Vox has a different charger, maybe that is what you were shown.
No, I didn't say I had a problem with it - just that it's different from the connection type used by all other USB-powered devices I have. It's just one item on the evaluation checklist, but for me it's a tick in the negative column to have to have a new set of cables or chargers.

Anyway, thanks for your replies. I've been holding out hope for a decent, all-round device that isn't primarily designed to channel people into a particular retail source, but it sounds like Kobo is moving strongly in that direction. From reviews I've seen on YouTube, a lot of its features seem only to work with epubs bought from Kobo itself, and not with those from other sources. For my purposes, that's disappointing.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #36
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
primarily designed to channel people into a particular retail source, but it sounds like Kobo is moving strongly in that direction. From reviews I've seen on YouTube, a lot of its features seem only to work with epubs bought from Kobo itself, and not with those from other sources. For my purposes, that's disappointing.
I would say you are watching old reviews. I can't think of any functions off the top of my head that work on Kobo content but not sideloaded e-pubs currently with the Kobo Touch (probably something, but I can't think of it). New features tend to show up as available for Kobo content 1st but get added for sideloaded content later.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #37
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Kobo Touch
I played with one of these breifly, but I found the touch aspect of the screen quite erratic. Sometimes it didn't respond, even when I tapped it sharply with my fingernail, .
NO new touch screens will respond to a fingernail, whether they be phone, ereader, tablet. The screen is IR and not resistive. A light tap with your finger/thumb is how to use IR correctly.

Maybe the display unit was busted.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #38
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
None of the e-readers are going to easily read books purchased from any of the big bookstores (Sony, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, Amazon) or e-books with DRM unless they are purchased from the specific e-readers store.

If you have a Kobo, you will be able to read Kobo books hassel free. I believe you can read Sony books hassel free as well because they share a DRM. You cannot read Amazon books, DRM and a different format, on a Kobo without removing DRM and converting to EPub. You cannot read books from Barnes and Noble without removing the DRM. You can read EPub books without DRM purchased from most indie bookstores.

The same goes for the Kindle, Kindle books and non-DRM Mobi books work great. Everything else will require DRM removal and converting from Mobi to EPub.

I think that there are folks who buy and EPub reader and think that they will be able to read any and all EPub books without any issues. They do not realize that not all EPub is the same and that there are DRM issues that can screw things up.

My guess is that someone is trying to load EPub books with a Non-Kobo DRM and that those are not working for them. Which sucks but can easily be fixed by doing a Google seaerch for Apprentice Alf.
The Kobo website has the option to download in Adobe DRM epub, which the Kobo, Nook, Sony and any other epub reader can read. BUT when you do a wireless sync you don't get an ePub you get what we call a KePub and that is different and isn't crackable right now, but downloading the ePub and sideloading like any other book works great.

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-05-2012 at 11:09 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
No idea what a wallwart is. ...
Sorry about that. Wallwart = wall charger.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
No, I didn't say I had a problem with it - just that it's different from the connection type used by all other USB-powered devices I have. It's just one item on the evaluation checklist, but for me it's a tick in the negative column to have to have a new set of cables or chargers.
I know what you mean. We have a little box sitting on the desk which contains connectors for our e-readers (Kobo and Sony), our cameras, my mobile phone (not the charger, but the one for putting photographs etc on it), the GPS for the car (Tom Tom) and probably a couple of other things as well. It's amazing how every single thing seems to have a slightly different connection slot.

I think you would be lucky to find an e-reader with a slot that is exactly the same as something else. It's a conspiracy by the makers of the connectors!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #41
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by geenp View Post
I don't like how the built in store on the Sony won't be accessible in Australia and the glossy bezel bothers me. I don't have hands on experience so I'll see if I can get to use one first. Thanks for the suggestion
Shouldn't matter - you don't have to buy ebooks from the reader's own store (with the caveats Profcrash mentions). I found the bezel annoying too, and bought a case specifically to cover it.

Quote:
Yes, the Kindle 4 ships here and it is sold in brick and mortar shops but I am reluctant to get one after seeing how easy stuff like the dictionary and notes is on the touch models, especially when compared to the Kindle Touch. If I did get a Kindle it would be the Touch or maaaybe the Kindle 3 for the keyboard.
Plus you may not be able to access certain services, such as your public library (don't know how Australia's fixed for this), so it's worth checking that whichever one you pick will do everything you want.

Quote:
Are you sure, John F? It's not a standard mini-USB connection. I've never seen it before, and neither had the guy in the shop where i was checking out the Kobo (and they sell phones, tablets and laptops as well, so I'd think he'd have experience in the matter), plus I haven't been able to find anywhere here in Australia that sells that kind of cable. So my concern is still that it's non-standard, PLUS no-one accessible from here seems to sell additional cables of this type - including Kobo itself.
I hadn't seen the one my T1 uses before either, but I found it very easily on eBay, although the first one I bought (a multi-cable sort of Hydra thing that is a transfer rather than just a charging cable) can charge, but can't transfer books, although it works fine with my other ereader. Once you find out for definite what type it is, it should be easy enough to replace.
This site claims to sell compatible cables: http://shop.retrevo.com/m/a70/kobo-t...sories/f109866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I know what you mean. We have a little box sitting on the desk which contains connectors for our e-readers (Kobo and Sony), our cameras, my mobile phone (not the charger, but the one for putting photographs etc on it), the GPS for the car (Tom Tom) and probably a couple of other things as well. It's amazing how every single thing seems to have a slightly different connection slot.
That's why I bought a couple of these Hydra things - cut down the clutter immensely!

Last edited by LuvReadin; 02-20-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: my rubbish formatting!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #42
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: none
Thanks LuvReadin for the input. Yes I did consider public library support and the Kobo seems like a decent choice for that but I've had a look at some of the ebook selections and it's not great. Not too excited about having a to join a waiting list. Blame it on the instant gratification culture of my generation.

I've actually already bought the Kobo. It was mostly the development made with plugins that sealed the deal for me. That and the abundance of coupon codes!

MacEachaidh, I noticed that you complained about the predatory pricing of iRiver products. I've noticed that with their other products and lots of other things over here in general but the iRiver is actually the cheapest of the "mainstream" ereaders right now. JB hifi is selling it for 127 right now whereas the Kobo is selling in most places for closer to 150 and the Kindle 4 is going for 139. Borders has the Kobo on sale for 129 with a $10 voucher included and that is what I got. Not sure if you've already made your decision but I thought you might like to know.
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #43
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
MacEachaidh, I noticed that you complained about the predatory pricing of iRiver products.
I wasn't talking about the retail price of their products so much as the cost for repairs. My Story's screen failed, the repair company (predictably!) claimed it was "obviously" user-inflicted damage, and wanted $399 just to replace the screen.

After my experience with the Story and a couple of different models of their PMPs, and experiencing their lack of support or ongoing firmware development first-hand, I wouldn't buy another thing from iRiver.

My local branch of Hardly Normal sold me a Kobo Touch at $128, which matched their price on the Story HD, so I'm a happy vegemite.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote