Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
mrspaceman
Edge User

Dingo 1.10 update

well, I know I'm a fool, but I went ahead and updated my (full size) edge to 1.10.

Since the update I have been unable to get an adb connection to work.

it will work temporarily, but not permanently. has anyone any ideas?

I guess this is to make app developers happy (although I'm still not sure how NOT releasing an SDK and making sure that you can't try your apps out on the device is supposed to make us happy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonMan
Hey guys, this change is to SUPPORT developers. We want to eventually support paid apps as well as the free ones, but there would be very high resistance for a developer to put his paid app on our store if our device ships rooted. It would be too easy to steal.

Also - we DID NOT change the debug password, we just un-rooted the shell you get. We knew you guys would crack right back in, it's not like we're sitting here thinking that we locked you out for good.

So we're now doing what every single phone does when they ship!

AND - We were curious how long it would take you fellas to break back in... I think I won; someone owes me a quarter.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Could there be a new process running in the background that shuts down the channel (deliberately or mistakenly)? What happens if you give the eDGe 5-10 minutes to "stabilize" after booting before attempting the connection?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
mrspaceman
Edge User

the edge had been on for a couple of hours before I tried it this evening.

I have rooted the edge, I have tried using the debug password (from android police, but every time I reopen the settings windows the checkbox is clear).

I still have root access, it's just the adb connection that's gone.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
PonMan
Edge User

There's nothing that deliberately kills an adb connection. The check mark will always be gray (unchecked) when you go back to that screen.

If you want to "try out your apps", have you tried putting the apk on a USB stick and click on it in ES or Device Storage? You could also email it to yourself, if you have the email client configured.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
mrspaceman
Edge User

#ifdef SarcasticMode
I don't think that debugging works via email, though I've never tried it.
#endif

Last edited by mrspaceman; 12-03-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added the sarcasm conditional

Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

I think PonMan meant emailing the APK to your eDGe in order to install and test run it - the way QA's do their testing.

But as a Windows developer I like having the integrated debugger working in my Visual Studio so that I can trace through lines of code to see where a value changes or where and why an exception is thrown. From my understanding, the adb connection effectively allows a developer to remotely debug their app in context. Disconnected testing certainly works, but you have to throw in debug lines to log or popup info, then you have to correct the code, recompile, redeploy, and start again. That's why an adb connection is preferrable

Maybe if you set it aside for a day and come back to it, you may find what's knocking out the adb connection.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
mrspaceman
Edge User

actually, it may be an idea for another app/framework.

email the app to the device, let it run in the framework (which collects stat's / info / crash reports / log messages) and emails them back to the developer.

not sure how usefull it would really be, and getting it working would require quite a bit of initial debugging of the framework.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
PonMan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
actually, it may be an idea for another app/framework.

email the app to the device, let it run in the framework (which collects stat's / info / crash reports / log messages) and emails them back to the developer.

not sure how usefull it would really be, and getting it working would require quite a bit of initial debugging of the framework.
I can't tell if your still kidding around or not, but that's just unnecessary . And maybe my reply had a little too much snark (probably because I was quoted in the complaint). So here it goes.

none of this is officially supported:

There shouldn't be anything that is killing your adb session. Starting DDMS will kill it though, but it should be able to be reconnected after DDMS is started. After you enable debug, even if you go back to the screen and the check box in not checked, adb is still enabled (until reboot). If you attempt to check the box again and put in the wrong password, you'll get kicked off of adb. There are many logger android apps out there that could give you insight as to what is killing your connection (if it is occurring on the device side, as opposed to your PC side). If your a linux user, dmesg for kernel traces.

There still might be issues installing an app via "adb install", so I would (genuinely) suggest email/USB just for the install process if adb install doesn't work.

All that being said, the eDGe is not an android development platform. If you would like to develop Android (only) apps that work on the eDGe, I would use the 1.6 emulator from the google SDK. If you are trying to write an app that will utilize both sides of the eDGe I would suggest waiting until our SDK (yeah...I know) comes out, or you are just going to frustrate yourself. If you still want to develop and test on the eDGe, please do so, but understand that you're using the product in a way we haven't given full design support to yet. So if something quirky happens, such as getting knocked off of a developer debug connection, you're on your own for the time being.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Chubulor
Edge User

Kind of strange to have a development forum for a device that you're not supposed to be developing on.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Snow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Kind of strange to have a development forum for a device that you're not supposed to be developing on.
Not really. It's meant for community developers to gather and collaborate just as all the other forums are mainly meant for community input. Direct development with us would not take place over online forums.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #11
jedfrechette
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Not really. It's meant for community developers to gather and collaborate just as all the other forums are mainly meant for community input. Direct development with us would not take place over online forums.
I think the point is that it is kind of strange to have an official development forum for a device that has zero support for community development, provided by a company that at times seems to be actively impeding the few individuals who have shown interest in developing for it.

Words, and promises of an SDK, are cheap.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
morellij3179
Edge User

I agree....

Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #13
piRsquared
Edge User

Getting started with the eDGe

Hello everyone. Just received the edge 10 yesterday. Originally bought the edge 7 when it launched. It had some technical issues, so I returned it. The Entourage Edge's dual design and other features seem to address my needs better than other products on the market, so I'm hoping the edge 10 will work better.

Any ideas and suggestions will be welcomed by this eDGe newbie.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, piRsquared A good place to start is here.