Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Pocket Pro starting to Peeling

After having my Pocket Pro since March babying it and seldom taking it out of the case, seldom touching only to turn pages. Since leaving the reader on instead of turning it off. It has suddenly started to peel on one side today!
I know this is a common issue but I thought I was lucky to not have it happen to me.
The only thing I can think of it happen because I forgot to seal the flap on the back and sat it on the shelf so there was an air pocket or maybe leaving it on wasn't such a good idea and that caused it. it's on the right side where no buttons are of all places.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I think they're all gonna peel eventually no matter how much care we take of them, unfortunately. Mine was great for about eight months and then all of a sudden the wrinkling started.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I think they're all gonna peel eventually no matter how much care we take of them, unfortunately. Mine was great for about eight months and then all of a sudden the wrinkling started.
I think a different case would fix this problem. Even my white one shows a little bit of peeling after close to a year. There is some chemical in the case that interacts with the finish. The area underneath is also white so it isn't too bad.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your probably right the case does seem to be degrading in areas. I bet the finished on the case wore off and it just foam underneath with some kind of plastic or cardboard not sure. It probably touching that spot or something causing it to shed.

Well It's a little distracting when trying to read my eyes keeps going to the blemish area. Anyone got a pic of what it looks like once it's done shedding it's skin?

Maggie mine is about 8 months old so I guess that is the normal for wrinkling and peeling to happen. *sigh* Do all peel or just the color ones?

It still works fine though just cosmetics.
No biggie I'll have my Kindle 3 next month but the pocket pro was my first reader so I am very fond of it. I was shock when it happen right before my eyes though I gotta tell you it was hard to focus on The Passage instead of the peeling.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think a different case would fix this problem. Even my white one shows a little bit of peeling after close to a year. There is some chemical in the case that interacts with the finish. The area underneath is also white so it isn't too bad.

Dale
Mine started to peel 2 months or so back and I had moved it into a stylzworld cover about 6 months ago. I kept finger prints etc wiped with a dry cloth to try and prevent peeling. Guess it will happen with everyone's PEZ at some point.

Blossom, you could look at smirkabout.com, they have a huge range of skins for the PEZ (find it under BeBook mini).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Do all peel or just the color ones?
I have a black unit (wasn't really bothered with the colours), mine started peeling after about 8 months as well, mind you mine gets hammered I read for about six hours daily and I don't use the case as I don't care for them.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I have started taking mine out of the case since the peeling started I mean why baby it if it's gonna happen anyway right? I need the case though for night reading. Hubby complains my booklight is too bright but I love reading for hours while he snores loudly next to me!

Thanks Solicitous about the skins do they add weight to the reader?

I went and looked at The Nook today but decided I will stay with the Kindle 3 for my next purchase and use my Pocket Pro for library books. When it goes I'll probably get a Jetbook Lite or a Pocketbook 360 for a replacement.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have started taking mine out of the case since the peeling started I mean why baby it if it's gonna happen anyway right? I need the case though for night reading. Hubby complains my booklight is too bright but I love reading for hours while he snores loudly next to me!

Thanks Solicitous about the skins do they add weight to the reader?

I went and looked at The Nook today but decided I will stay with the Kindle 3 for my next purchase and use my Pocket Pro for library books. When it goes I'll probably get a Jetbook Lite or a Pocketbook 360 for a replacement.
I don't think the skins add any weight. I didn't end up getting one, rather I put that money towards buying the new Kindle 3. I still use my PP, mainly taking it to uni as it is smaller and slides into my pocket (something to read between lectures). From reading other posts of people who have applied skins to their readers the difference in weight isn't really noticeable.

Now you wouldn't be trying to copy me would you? Starting off with a Pocket Pro and moving to a Kindle 3
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

lol Actually I want a reader with a Pearl screen and right now I'm only aware of 3 readers, Sony, Kobo (I think) and the Kindle 3. I think Kindle 3 is the best out of the those 3s to choose from. I haven't decided which color I want yet black or white?

I think I will pass on the skin too but great to know it's an option if I decide later.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-25-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
lol Actually I want a reader with a Pearl screen and right now I'm only aware of 3 readers, Sony, Kobo (I think) and the Kindle 3. I think Kindle 3 is the best out of the those 3s to choose from. I haven't decided which color I want yet black or white?

I think I will pass on the skin too but great to know it's an option if I decide later.
I think it is only the new Sony and Kindle 3 which have the Pearl screen, the new Kobo wifi has the old screen but an updated display controller allowing it to do 16-grey levels (I could be wrong but reports say it is the old screen).

For me the K3 colour options were graphite or graphite. I took graphite (White AFAIK is only available in the US).
Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Ack! You are right the new Kobo is not Pearl.
So that leaves the Sony or Kindle.
I have issues against Sony + No wifi or SD card slot so the choice is simple a Kindle 3

I love my Pocket Pro and when it dies I still probably want something in it's place. I just can't see purchasing another one if they ever do come back in stock because of the peel issue. I wonder if all Hanlin v5s, Bebook Minis peel or is it just the EzReader?

I can understand if I had abused it, taken outside or put in my purse, just leaving it around but it's been babied like fine porcelain and it now it's shedding as bad as my oldest cat in an area that never been touched much at all.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I think I read on these forums that Bebook owners have reported a peeling issue as well.

Did you consider the EZReader Plus? I would, if I were in the market for a 6" screen device.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
I just spoke with our tech and several members of the Astak team. The 6" device will have NO paint issues whatsoever, because there is literally no paint on the device to peel. No paint, no peeling!

I have a pink 6" reader that I love, and I did "baby" it for the 7 or so months I've had it. It's wrinkling all over the place, unfortunately, and I am trying to find a solution. Most likely, I'll be purchasing a 6". (Conveniently, I can walk over to the warehouse and grab one).
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thank you Jenifer for being honest about your Pocket Pro. I really appreciate it. I really want a 5" reader but will consider the Plus if ever comes down in price.
My 6" inch reader will be the Kindle 3 with Pearl screen but it doesn't handle library books so will use the PP till it goes.

It's good to know the Plus does not shed!