Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Tweaking Text Changes Font

I used the Tweak/explode feature to edit the text only of an azw3 ebook, fixing some hyphenation and running spell check on the .html text files. I did not edit any of the html or css code. I used the OS X 10.8.3 TextEdit program to make the changes. After I rebuilt the ebook and put it on my Kindle Touch, the font was tiny. To resurrect the desired font size, I reconverted the modified ebook.

Shouldn't the font be unchanged if the only tweaking is to the text?
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo724 View Post
I used the Tweak/explode feature to edit the text only of an azw3 ebook, fixing some hyphenation and running spell check on the .html text files. I did not edit any of the html or css code. I used the OS X 10.8.3 TextEdit program to make the changes. After I rebuilt the ebook and put it on my Kindle Touch, the font was tiny. To resurrect the desired font size, I reconverted the modified ebook.

You didn't mess with the font size. A lot of ePub is made with the font set to small. A lot of AZW3 is converted from ePub. SO the AZW3 you are dealing with is most likely one of those ePub with the font size set to small converted to AZW3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo724 View Post
Yes, I would have thought so, since you only edited text.

@JSWolf: Could you clarify how coming from an ePub conversion could cause this effect? I also don't want to fall foul of this problem on tweaking AZW3's.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you edited only the text, then the font size will be unchanged. Either your original file had very small font size, or you did not edit only the text.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Not only did the font size change, but some <br>s used with block text (to avoid indentation) were converted to <p></p>. The only thing I did was edit the text using spell check and find & replace in TextEdit (OS X). Maybe TextEdit changed the font size and replaced the <br>s, but I most certainly did not do so on purpose. Believe me, since I am quite ignorant of html and css code, I stay away from that stuff when all I want to do is simple text editing.
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

I am able to reproduce the font size change with a simple text edit. This is how I did it:

1. I created a one-sentence html file ("This is sample text with a small font.").
2. I imported the html file into Calibre.
3. I used Calibre to convert the html zip file to azw3.
4. I used the View command to look at the azw3 file in Calibre.
5. I tweaked/exploded the azw3 file.
6. The only change I made to the guts of the azw3 file was to open the html file in the text folder and then add the one word "very" before "small font." When TextEdit prompted me, I chose to overwrite the original file.
7. I closed the text file and TextEdit.
8. I told Calibre to rebuild the azw3 file.
9. I used the View command again to look at the rebuilt azw3 file. The text was substantially smaller than when I first viewed the azw3 file, before tweaking/exploding it.

The only change I made was to the text, but the font size became smaller. Since this is not supposed to happen, there appears to be a bug somewhere, no?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I just tried your steps and saw no change in the font size, so you must be doing something other than what you describe.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I just tried your steps and saw no change in the font size, so you must be doing something other than what you describe.
Not I, but TextEdit. Once I told TE (1) to display html files as html code instead of formatted text and (2) to treat files as plain text rather than rtf text, the font size change stopped occurring. TE must have been doing some automatic reformatting.

I should probably use Text Wrangler instead of TE, but TE has a better spell checker for cleaning up ebook text. Oh, well.