Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
I don't see any problems with the justification - are you having issues with the way words are spaced/displayed, etc.?
Yeah, I was seeing very poor justification. It was a lot of fairly large white spaces on a line when there was clearly room for some of the words on the following line. I checked a number of books out and all showed the issue to one degree or another. But in all cases it could get to the point of being really distracting for me.

I wish I had known how to take screen shots at the time so I could have posted images. But I am now sans Touch and it's funny how much I grew to appreciate it. In fact one of the best uses for me was managing email as it came in. I could actually be away from the computer and get more done without needing to keep an eye on email all day long.

Quote:
You, me, and probably thousands of others!

I am really hoping FBReader does eventually get an iOS app - but it may be only a jailbreak variant, as there may be issues getting it into the official app store - depends on how it is implemented. But even getting a port would be great - how can we try to request this, any ideas?
As I recall, one of the reasons it pretty much can't go into the official App store is because of licensing issues. I am not sure but I seem to remember reading that the developers of FBReader can't charge for the app due to the licensing of several of modules used by FBReader. The gist of it way back when the iPhone/Touch was released and the App store opened was the developers just could not untangle the whole mess needed to get the program into the App store. And I also seem to dismember there were conflicts with how Apple's own agreement with the developers worked as well. But it is all pretty fuzzy for me as it has been a long time since I followed the FBReader group on Google. I am sure the details are still there somewhere.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
Yeah, I was seeing very poor justification. It was a lot of fairly large white spaces on a line when there was clearly room for some of the words on the following line. I checked a number of books out and all showed the issue to one degree or another. But in all cases it could get to the point of being really distracting for me.

I wish I had known how to take screen shots at the time so I could have posted images. But I am now sans Touch and it's funny how much I grew to appreciate it. In fact one of the best uses for me was managing email as it came in. I could actually be away from the computer and get more done without needing to keep an eye on email all day long.

As I recall, one of the reasons it pretty much can't go into the official App store is because of licensing issues. I am not sure but I seem to remember reading that the developers of FBReader can't charge for the app due to the licensing of several of modules used by FBReader. The gist of it way back when the iPhone/Touch was released and the App store opened was the developers just could not untangle the whole mess needed to get the program into the App store. And I also seem to dismember there were conflicts with how Apple's own agreement with the developers worked as well. But it is all pretty fuzzy for me as it has been a long time since I followed the FBReader group on Google. I am sure the details are still there somewhere.
I have only used the app since the version that allows loading of your own non-DRM Mobi books, and the justification seems fine (actually quite good, I dare say better than when I tried Mobi on my old BeBook).

I'm not surprised by the licencing issues you mention. Although, charging for the app could be a simple issue - juat make it gratis! But I'm sure there are other more complex issues about getting it into the app store. Cheers!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert