Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Formatting: no chapters for me, sniff

Hi and thanks for reading my post!

Just yesterday I was the king of the world (my formatting for Kindle finally made sense and it all worked nicely), today I am but a lackey - but a low one, you see, the one who gets to clean up after a party... or an execution. What happened? I realized that although my TOC works in terms of getting me to chapters, Kindle 3 really does not see them as chapters. I cannot navigate between chapters by pressing left-right on the directional control and the little markers don't show up on the progress line at the bottom of the screen.

Now I don't want to become an expert on formatting, but I need to be able to reformat some texts to a pleasing state. So far I have used Mobipocket Creator, imported my html and simply pointed the TOC Wizard to my headings (e.g "h1" in the Tag Name column) and that seemed to work very nicely. As I said I really don't need to do anything too fancy, but I would love my headings (see the "h1" mentioned above) to be also real chapters so I can navigate thru them using left/right and so that I can see their tiny markers on the progress line. Could anyone kindly help me with this, please?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

PH
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Many questions like this have been answered in the Mobi format subforum. Take a gander down there. Basically you need to create a toc.ncx file before you convert (or create) your mobi in order for the chapter markers to be visible/functional on the Kindle's progress bar.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know it is a covered topic. Unfortunately I have not found an answer in the mobi forum. Fortunately I have found it here: http://www.cjs-easy-as-pie.com/p/cre...by-greene.html
Hope the link helps someone too.

Cheers,
PH
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I've posted lots of stuff in the Mobileread forums about NCX files and tables of contents over the past couple of months, though admittedly not all of it in the MOBI forum. For example see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...51#post1442751
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
pavelh
Zealot

Thanks for your reply D! Perhaps you could check if my work-flow is alright? If you could, here is a link to my post in the mobi forum.

Best regards,

PH