Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I understand what you're saying: that everyone in your study group has to be "singing from same hymnsheet", so to speak. It's more the underlying philosophy of picking apart a translation at the level of individual words that I'm questioning. I am fortunate enough to be able to read the NT in the original Koine Greek, and the Greek is very often considerably different to the NIV, so the words you're studying are those chosen by the translators, not those of the original text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
Charlie Dog
Charlie Dog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
You mean your point is NOT that you "need" (needs and wants are different things) to have the same exact Bible that everyone else in your study group is using because you don't want to feel silly???????????????? (not that you want to avoid not understanding the meaning)

Then use the NIV 1984 Version!!!!!!

The 2011 version isn't more gender inclusive than TNIV no matter what your wife thinks. One of their goals is to back off the gender inclusive language that upset so many people in the TNIV. The 2011 is more inclusive than the 1984 version and less inclusive than the TNIV. As I said the TNIV was not intended to replace the NIV as is obvious logically since they are updatinmg the 1984 version of the NIV (I think you are confusing the RSV and NRSV with the NIV). The link I posted has ALL the changes to the NIV listed.

ROFL, I don't think you will understand that people understand exactly what you wrote; maybe not what you think
Charlie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Dog View Post
ROFL, I don't think you will understand that people understand exactly what you wrote; maybe not what you think
You might be right.

We're not picking it apart.

What I meant is, the notes for the class sometimes ask a question while referring to a specifc word or phrase, not that we're studying individual detail of the words used in the NIV.

But anyways, I think "singing from the same hymnbook" is a better way to put it.

Okay, is that enough to get us back on topic? lol.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote