Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
vance650
vance650 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Annoying Screen flash

I am looking for a ereader and until today I had actually never used one. Does every reader have that flash to black when you turn the page? I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was a reader that used something besides e ink display? Would any one know which one that is and does it come in a 6" screen? Also does the screen flash bother you, it just seems like it would be bothersome? Thanks
vance650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Jetbook and Jetbook Lite.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
If you are able to turn the pages of a book printed on paper without the old page getting all blurry and distorted as it goes vertical, I guess this might bother you.

I myself never notice it.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance650 View Post
I am looking for a ereader and until today I had actually never used one. Does every reader have that flash to black when you turn the page? I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was a reader that used something besides e ink display? Would any one know which one that is and does it come in a 6" screen? Also does the screen flash bother you, it just seems like it would be bothersome? Thanks
Doesn't bother me a bit: in fact, I find it helpful because it mimics, in a way, the small pause when you turn book pages and provides a moment to rest/refocus your eyes.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
After using an eInk device for an hour or so, you'll almost certainly find that you are no longer aware of the flash - your brain just "filters it out", just as you aren't consciously aware of the interruptions to your sight when you blink, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
A lot of people have managed to not be bothered by it by some weird magic that also seems to allow them to tolerate the incredible slowness of ebook readers. The refresh thing still irritates me, but I can survive it for now.

Unfortunately, all current EPD devices do that refresh flash, and the only current epaper readers that I'm aware of that avoid it are the jetBook and its other variants, which are pretty much just 5-inch devices.

Color LCDs are a good way out of the problem, but sunlight readability is poor, and power consumption is higher. Pixel Qi will be a possible solution for some people, but is not available yet. Same with Mirasol and Liquavista.

So, right now, there aren't that many good alternatives excepting the jetBook and other related devices as daffy4u mentioned.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does every reader have that flash to black when you turn the page? I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was a reader that used something besides e ink display?
It's called the iPad!

And yes, I agree with you, that flashing on page turning on e-ink devices was surprising to me, too--and annoying. I know I couldn't get used to it.

That's why I'm going to buy an iPad.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
I know I couldn't get used to it.
Have you tried using an eInk device for any sustained period of time to see? Why should you be different to all of us who use them perfectly happily?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Would it be better if it didn't flash? Yes. But, as other have said, you get used to it. I still notice it, but don't really think about it.

The next reader technology will solve the problem, and more screen choices are in the near future. The choice now between eInk and LCD is really one of personal preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages. You just go with the one that is the "lesser of evils" for you.

I am really pretty neutral. I seldom read in direct sunlight (it amazes me that is so important to most people) as here in Texas the last place I want to read is in the sun. A shade tree is a must have. On the other hand I do read at least 25% of the time is less than perfect lighting conditions. So the back light of a LCD is great. But, I like to read more than a few hours sometimes, so the LCD battery life is a killer (I have my doubts the iPad actually gets 10 hours in real life, we shall see). I like the clarity and over look of eInk, and my eyes seem to read longer without tiredness.

Bottom line is you just have to work at it, and find the option that is best for you.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Would it be better if it didn't flash? Yes. But, as other have said, you get used to it. I still notice it, but don't really think about it.

The next reader technology will solve the problem, and more screen choices are in the near future. The choice now between eInk and LCD is really one of personal preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages. You just go with the one that is the "lesser of evils" for you.

I am really pretty neutral. I seldom read in direct sunlight (it amazes me that is so important to most people) as here in Texas the last place I want to read is in the sun. A shade tree is a must have. On the other hand I do read at least 25% of the time is less than perfect lighting conditions. So the back light of a LCD is great. But, I like to read more than a few hours sometimes, so the LCD battery life is a killer (I have my doubts the iPad actually gets 10 hours in real life, we shall see). I like the clarity and over look of eInk, and my eyes seem to read longer without tiredness.

Bottom line is you just have to work at it, and find the option that is best for you.
Yep. When I first read about that flashing I was also very skeptic about that. Until I really saw it in progress and read a few pages with it. Naturally, I'd love to have an instant page turn, and a perfectly readable screen in all lighting conditions.

About reading in the sun, Bremen Cole, I don't like reading in the sun either, but my JE-100 screen isn't even visible (without backlight) in the shade, outside. I have to turn up the backlight to max in order to easily read it outside (and that eats into the battery!). A transflective screen or it's new variety, the Pixel Qi screen, would be the answer. But, as my transflective screen device is only a 3.4", and my 7" is a normal LCD, I bought an e-ink device for those situations the lighting conditions are so that a transparent LCD isn't really suited...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you tried using an eInk device for any sustained period of time to see? Why should you be different to all of us who use them perfectly happily?
Odd question. I use mine all the time and still find it irritating. There are lots of people who are not very satisfied or happy with E-Ink refresh. Most such people aren't going to be terribly active here. My participation is probably just misplaced masochism while waiting for news of better things.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
As mentioned earlier the Jetbook and Jetbook Lite use an LCD screen, but they are 5". The Cybook Gen3 will let you disable the flashing, but at the cost of having the screen ghost (it will leave vague remnants of earlier pages on screen).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post

Unfortunately, all current EPD devices do that refresh flash, and the only current epaper readers that I'm aware of that avoid it are the jetBook and its other variants, which are pretty much just 5-inch devices.
Onyx Boox 60 allows you to turn Full Refresh on or off. I made a quick video of the difference which Im attaching below.

Sorry about the quality of the video. Before I uploaded it I could read the text watching the video but now it's out of focus. must be something to do with the compression. I need to get a new camera as well.

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Onyx Boox 60 allows you to turn Full Refresh on or off. I made a quick video of the difference which Im attaching below.
So does the CyBook Opus, but if you switch it off, you soon realise the reason that it's there!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
time4mercy
time4mercy doesn't littertime4mercy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
I noticed the flash at first, but now it doesn't bother me at all.

In fact, I occasionally catch myself reaching for the top right-hand corner to turn the pages. True, I still read pbooks as well, but I think it's a pretty strong endorsement for the immersiveness of the e-ink experience.
time4mercy is offline   Reply With Quote