Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can I install Calibre from a memory stick?

My daughter has no internet connection at the moment. Along with 3000 ebooks, I copied my "Calibre" from my computer onto the stick and took it to her house. We copied the "Calibre" onto her computer and tried to figure out how to make it set up properly. We clicked on the Calibre icon with the books since it lwas a .exe file but got an error message saying that Calibre was not properly configured. Since it wasn't loaded at all we were not surprised. Is there a way to start the set-up without going online?
Sorry to be so stupid about these things
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
My daughter has no internet connection at the moment. Along with 3000 ebooks, I copied my "Calibre" from my computer onto the stick and took it to her house. We copied the "Calibre" onto her computer and tried to figure out how to make it set up properly. We clicked on the Calibre icon with the books since it lwas a .exe file but got an error message saying that Calibre was not properly configured. Since it wasn't loaded at all we were not surprised. Is there a way to start the set-up without going online?
Sorry to be so stupid about these things
There is Calibre the Program and ther is the Calibre installer.
Download the appropriate Calibre installer to your stick.
Run the installer. Do not Launch.
Now place the copy of your Library folder (big, if it has 3000 books) where you eant it.
Now Start Calibre (the Program) and indicate the place where the library is ( or run the Welcome Wizard, from the Preferences Arrow).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
pufff
Enthusiast

Thanks Ducks! I copied the whole "Calibre 2" folder from my computer onto the stick. Would "Calibre 2" include the installer prog somewhere? (forlorn hope - I am back home now and she is 80 miles away...)
Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
Thanks Ducks! I copied the whole "Calibre 2" folder from my computer onto the stick. Would "Calibre 2" include the installer prog somewhere? (forlorn hope - I am back home now and she is 80 miles away...)
NO, the installer installs all the other dependencies as needed.
Go here to get the correct version of the installer
http://calibre-ebook.com/download and save that file to the stick.

And that is the Wrong folder to copy for your library.
If your library is as big as you say, you will need a mighty big stick.

To find out where your library is, you can start the The Welcome Wizard and make a note of the path shown, then CANCEL.
To be safe: Quit Calibre (right click the tool tray icon and select Quit) all the way, Not just close the GUI.
Now copy the entire contents of the Libry folder to the Stick or ZIP the lot up and Burn it to a DVD (or spanned CD if either system does not support DVD)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 AM   #5
pufff
Enthusiast

Thank you!
Advert