Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Kindle 3 rumors?
Yes 46 49.46%
No 34 36.56%
Depends 13 13.98%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #31
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieB View Post
Dosen't Apple update most of their product line annually? Why wouldn't Bezos go after those repeat dollars also, in addition to new users if the size issues are addressed for textbook/ tech maual users?
Yep. Besides, a few other companies are planning readers this size in the fall since that's when these new, larger screens are supposed to be available. It wouldn't make much sense for Amazon to lose a new market to these other companies by waiting because a few of their existing customers feel it's too soon. Technology moves on quickly. Within 6 months of buying my last laptop, the same level of hardware was a lot cheaper and a new generation of processors and video cards was out. I didn't feel insulted or taken advantage of. It's just the way of the industry. I could have waited 6 months and then in another 6 months the same thing would've happened again. There's always something newer, shinier, faster and better on the horizon.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #32
kkun
kkun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I agree with an opinion earlier. I doubt they'd roll out a K2 replacement within this year. I figure they may try to target a different audience, those that need the larger screen, to appeal to different customers needs. The kindle for readers who require something extremely compact and convenient but only read novels and such while introducing the larger (most likely twice as expensive) for people who read technical docs or something. i.e. Macbook vs Macbook pro or netbook vs laptop. I also don't think they'd call it a kindle 3 since it'd be a different line. Of course it's all speculation. I really am waiting for the Plastic logic reader to come out but since I don't see it coming out until 2010, I'll hold myself down with a kindle in the mean time.
kkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #33
ttate90303
Enthusiast
ttate90303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Apple iPad 3, Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch
I could easily see a Kindle 3 but directed at a slightly different market audience. They could make the Kindle 2 entry unit and make the Kindle 3 for the higher-end audience (add back expandable storage).
ttate90303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #34
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
YES. I agree - a different audience for the next Kindle. And not a replacement for the Kindle-2, but rather another eReader in the Amazon line aimed at those who need larger format for manuals, books with lots of graphics and possibly viusally impaired with a much larger screen and maybe even bigger fonts available.

We trust it will read native PDF without any connversion required.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #35
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post
YES. I agree - a different audience for the next Kindle. And not a replacement for the Kindle-2, but rather another eReader in the Amazon line aimed at those who need larger format for manuals, books with lots of graphics and possibly viusally impaired with a much larger screen and maybe even bigger fonts available.

We trust it will read native PDF without any connversion required.
And have folders.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #36
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Yes, I could see a large-format Kindle that read pdf natively as another line of Kindle rather than an upgrade of the present ones.

I would need *two* Kindles. Oh, noes!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #37
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Oh, noes!
They be in our wallets stealin our monies.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #38
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I say no. And if it did come out I think it would be a supplementary product for students etc. rather than a replacement. i.e. they wouldn't stop making the K2 like they did the K1.

In any case I don't really have any interest in these larger readers like this rumored K3 or the Plastic Logic one.

On the one had it would be good as I could use it for A4 letter sized PDFs which I read a lot of for work being a Ph D student and soon to be professor. But in reality I prefer to just print those as they're easier to highlight and write notes on. And for books I prefer the smaller readers as they need to be portable and easy to carry around with or without a backpack/briefcase.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #39
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
They be in our wallets stealin our monies.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #40
catsittingstill
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
(snip)

On the one had it would be good as I could use it for A4 letter sized PDFs which I read a lot of for work being a Ph D student and soon to be professor. But in reality I prefer to just print those as they're easier to highlight and write notes on. And for books I prefer the smaller readers as they need to be portable and easy to carry around with or without a backpack/briefcase.
(blink). Okay now, imagine a reader that could read those A4 letter-sized PDFs.

Imagine that, like the Kindle, it could search them all for any word or phrase you like and display a list of titles with # of hits, and for each title a list of hits imbedded in the surrounding 2 sentences.

Imagine that, like the Kindle, it would allow you to highlight text and annotate documents, and that, like the kindle, it includes a "My notes and marks" file for each document consisting only of these highlights and annotations.

Imagine that, like the Kindle, you could sort your pdfs by first author or by title from the home page.

Imagine that it can carry 1.4 GB of pdfs. Or more (hopefully more).

Seriously, you aren't interested in that? You'd rather work with thirty pounds of paper copies? Because if there's one thing I find *difficult* to carry around in a backpack or briefcase, it would be all those printed pdfs.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #41
alphabet55
alphabet55 began at the beginning.

Device: Possibly a Kindle 2
I don't think Amazon would release a Kindle 3 so soon after releasing a Kindle 2. A deluxe version, sure, or maybe a new array of colors?

The textbook reader sounds nice, but if that were the case, and they planned on having it used this coming school year, then shouldn't they release it early in the summer so that schools/professors can learn about it and decide to use it?
alphabet55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #42
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
(blink). Okay now, imagine a reader that could read those A4 letter-sized PDFs.

Imagine that, like the Kindle, it could search them all for any word or phrase you like and display a list of titles with # of hits, and for each title a list of hits imbedded in the surrounding 2 sentences.

Imagine that, like the Kindle, it would allow you to highlight text and annotate documents, and that, like the kindle, it includes a "My notes and marks" file for each document consisting only of these highlights and annotations.

Imagine that, like the Kindle, you could sort your pdfs by first author or by title from the home page.

Imagine that it can carry 1.4 GB of pdfs. Or more (hopefully more).

Seriously, you aren't interested in that? You'd rather work with thirty pounds of paper copies? Because if there's one thing I find *difficult* to carry around in a backpack or briefcase, it would be all those printed pdfs.

Just not my cup of tea. Highlighting and annotating on a kindle would be much more difficult that on paper. Maybe years down the road when we have an A4 sized reader with eInk and a touch screen you can write on like a tablet PC.

For now I just print them out, mark them up and leave them in my office. I have the electronic versions to read on my PC/Laptop if I need to look at them outside the office. But I mainly try to just work in the office and not work at home anyway, so I don't carry much stuff around. And I have the advantage that the niche I research in is pretty small so I know the literature and don't have to turn to my stack of articles very often when writing anyway.

But I guess I'm just old school, and just like having a print out and being able to highlight and write in the margins.

Back when I was reading for my comp exams I could have certainly used one as I was lugging around a ton of printed out PDFs that I was just reading once and typing up notes on and never looking at again. But I don't read journals like that any more, mainly just read the few things each year that pop up in my niche.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-06-2009 at 02:29 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote