Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ultra-mod Tabeee Mk-1: Eee PC to be turned into an e-reader

What to do if you are not satisfied with any of the current e-book readers? Well, easy enough, build your own device! Seriously, meet Bismar, an Australian modder with a knack for shaping acrylic, who decided to turn his 9-inch 7-inch Asus Eee netbook into an e-book reader, called Tabeee MK-1. Hit the jump for the must-see photo gallery illustrating the process.

Project Tabeee Mk-1

Oh, did I mention it's going to have a touch-screen?

[via Engadget]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, that's pretty amazing. i can't wait to see how it comes out.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
What to do if you are not satisfied with any of the current e-book readers? Well, easy enough, build your own device! Seriously, meet Bismar, an Australian modder with a knack for shaping acrylic, who decided to turn his 9-inch Asus Eee netbook into an e-book reader, called Tabeee MK-1. Hit the jump for the must-see photo gallery illustrating the process.

Project Tabeee Mk-1

Oh, did I mention it's going to have a touch-screen?
Actually, he's modding a 7" eee model, taking advantage of them becoming available relatively cheap in the wake of the 9" introduction.

The touch screen is the impressive bit. It will be interesting to see if he can get it to work as desired.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
lee1234
Enthusiast
lee1234 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader, Nokia E61
That is an ugly device!
lee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1234 View Post
That is an ugly device!
I disagree. I think it's shaping up to be not a bad looking device. For me it has an individual aesthetic that isn't trying to be iShiny or blackslab or "I am serious" grey or whatever design trend every manufacturer is currently following.

To me it looks "homemade"...in a good way.

Kudos to them. I look forward to the results (design and practicality).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Knew i forgot to post my log link on one forum :P

I swore i had an account here, but it doesn't seem like it. Been a long time lurker during my research phase into the different e-book readers
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Holy Moly! I'm impressed! Oh, my guess is that the green thing is a guitar pick.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
stxopher
Nameless Being

What a silly fellow. Spending all that time and effort to make something that no one wants. I mean, come on! Who is REALLY wanting a small, color tablet with the ability to use most programs, wireless connectivity and an almost complete compatibility with every reading format out there? If there was a market for that we would have already been told that we needed it.

Silly man.

Silly, silly.....

Wonder if he'll be selling plans later....?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
What a silly fellow. Spending all that time and effort to make something that no one wants. I mean, come on! Who is REALLY wanting a small, color tablet with the ability to use most programs, wireless connectivity and an almost complete compatibility with every reading format out there? If there was a market for that we would have already been told that we needed it.

Silly man.

Silly, silly.....

heh... silly indeed...
Old 07-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post

Silly man.

Silly, silly.....

Yep. *VERY* silly! (Can I *please* sign up to buy a set??? )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
Knew i forgot to post my log link on one forum :P

I swore i had an account here, but it doesn't seem like it. Been a long time lurker during my research phase into the different e-book readers
bismar !!! the man himself !! in person !!! nice of you to stop by, we're honored. so, any chance you'll be taking orders for these, once you work out the prototype ?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:21 AM   #12
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
bismar !!! the man himself !! in person !!! nice of you to stop by, we're honored. so, any chance you'll be taking orders for these, once you work out the prototype ?
Nope, with uni starting in a few days, i'll be hard pressed to even get this one completed in time! Not to mention with my current lack of tools, the quality wouldn't be worth it.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Nope, with uni starting in a few days, i'll be hard pressed to even get this one completed in time! Not to mention with my current lack of tools, the quality wouldn't be worth it.
oh, too bad ! but still, i'll be quite interested to see how the prototype turns out. thanks for stopping by ! let us know how things advance !
Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #14
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
That's all right. As long as the trail gets blazed and well documented (which you definitely seem to be doing) that gives the rest of us less competent ones a chance to work on ours. Knowing how something got done and with what makes it so much easier.