Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
K4NT: Special USB Cable?

Does the Kindle 4 use a special USB cable at all?

I tried connecting it to two separate PC's recently with other generic Micro USB cables and it sent the Kindle into a loop of displaying the 'Connected to USB/Charging' screen and turning back on again. This was accompanied by the usual noises that Windows puts out to signify a USB device has been connected, then removed, then connected, then removed and so on ad infinitum.

I then used the USB cable that was supplied and it worked perfectly fine.

The cables attempted to use work for other devices with a Micro-USB port and the other end was plugging into a port directly on my PC, i.e. no USB hub.

Any ideas?

Rob
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
It's just a regular USB A - micro USB cable. I've had cases (not kindle related) where some cheap USB cables wouldn't work with some hardware for bandwidth intensive operations.
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Thanks for confirming. I have tried a few different cables, and the only one that worked was the original Kindle one. It sounds like my cables are on the cheap side!
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
The only other cable I tried was the one I got with my Nexus One (android phone). It works fine.
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd guess that the cable you tried wasn't fully plugging in to the Kindle. You may find that some cables have a housing which prevents them fully plugging in. But it is a perfectly standard microUSB cable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I've found with my K4 that I have to have the cord connected directly to the computer, not through a hub. Oddly, my K3 doesn't mind being connected through the hub.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I've used my Sony, Blackberry & the Kindle USB cables with all of the above in various combinations and they worked fine.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
1Bookworm
Enthusiast
1Bookworm doesn't litter1Bookworm doesn't litter

Device: blackberry, laptop, Kindle3
I made the same mistake. I found a USB cable and since it fitted the Kindle - I decided to use it not realising what huge mistake that was. I ended up wiping out nearly all my ebooks and I couldn't load any new books.

Rang Amazon and they helped restore the program and I was able reload my documents and books but it feels sluggish and slow when I try and open them.

I'm wandering whether I should reload the Kindle software 3.3 - will that fit the problem?

Thank you
1Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote