Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #20071
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Still working on Sorcery and Cecelia -or- the Enchanted Chocolate Pot, a charming fantasy novel set in Regency era England.
I finished this book and the sequel, The Grand Tour -or- the Purloined Coronation Regalia. I have one more to read in this fantasy trilogy, but I've been catching up on some mystery series in the meantime. I read both Burn and The Rope by Nevada Barr -- the 16th and 17th book in her Anna Pigeon series. One more to go, but my library doesn't have a copy to borrow. If I wait 6 months, they can request it via ILL. I also finished listening to David Baldacci's The Sixth Man, 5th in his King & Maxwell series. I have some credits at Audible, so I'll pick up the next book, interestingly titled King and Maxwell.

I'm now reading the 4th book of David Simpson's Post-Human series, Human Plus. I've very much enjoyed this series. I've seen quite a bit of criticism in various reviews, and while I agree somewhat with the reviewers about flaws in the writing, they haven't been serious enough to keep me from enjoying the books. And, since I was able to borrow the omnibus for free from Amazon's Lending Library, I won't complain.

Also listening to The Map that Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology. This is another book from Simon Winchester and I've **really** enjoyed his books. The author reads the book and his voice is as engaging as any professional reader/narrator.

Last edited by Hampshire Nanny; 06-28-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: fixed an annoying typo
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #20072
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd like to read that. I saw the movie 'Charlie' which was based on it many years ago and it stuck with me. But I'm also trying to economize these days as befits my still fairly new retiree status, so I think on July 1, when I become eligible for another Amazon Prime loan, I'll check to see if that one's available. If not, I'll jut buy it outright. I think it's only about $6.
Flowers for Algernon is available at Overdrive.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #20073
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Flowers for Algernon is available at Overdrive.

Thanks for that tip.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #20074
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Hmm... Which series is this? I like Elizabeth Moon's fantasy (Paks!) so I think I need to track down this series.
OK, there was the original trilogy (Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, Oath of Gold) which were collected in The Deed of Paksenarrion.

Then there were the prequels about Gird and Luap, Surrender None and Liar's Oath.

And most recently, a five-volume series (Paladin's Legacy) continuing on from The Deed of Paksenarrion: Oath of Fealty, Kings of the North, Echoes of Betrayal, Limits of Power and Crown of Renewal.

NB Paks plays only bit parts in these stories, but other characters from The Deed of Paksenarrion do come to take centre stage.

The first is perhaps the weakest (only 3 stars), but I gave 5 stars to the rest. Perhaps I was just grumpy the day I rated it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #20075
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Just finished Hunt the Jackal (SEAL Team Six, #4) by Don Mann, Ralph Pezzullo

http://amazon.com/SEAL-Team-Six-Hunt...dp/B00EXTQTGI/

I thought it was a good book but felt the other in the series could shed some light on some characters actions/feelings.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #20076
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OK, there was the original trilogy (Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, Oath of Gold) which were collected in The Deed of Paksenarrion.

Then there were the prequels about Gird and Luap, Surrender None and Liar's Oath.

And most recently, a five-volume series (Paladin's Legacy) continuing on from The Deed of Paksenarrion: Oath of Fealty, Kings of the North, Echoes of Betrayal, Limits of Power and Crown of Renewal.

NB Paks plays only bit parts in these stories, but other characters from The Deed of Paksenarrion do come to take centre stage.

The first is perhaps the weakest (only 3 stars), but I gave 5 stars to the rest. Perhaps I was just grumpy the day I rated it.
I suspect you may have been reacting to the lack of Paks in it, coming off The Deed of Paksenarrion. At first, one wants more of Paksenarrion, and the Legacy books take some getting into, until the "New" characters that are central to this arc take hold. At least that was what slowed me down a bit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #20077
Melon Soda
★ Enjoy Your Reads! ★
Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Desktop
Quote:
I also finished listening to David Baldacci's The Sixth Man, 5th in his King & Maxwell series.
I've heard of David Baldacci but I don't recall reading any of his books yet. How was it?

I have managed to clear off some novella over the week and there are still a few more to go before I get to hit to longer books. Currently on Hard Landing by Stephen Leather and it's looking good so far!

Meanwhile, happy reading everyone!
Melon Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:50 AM   #20078
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis. The next installment in an alternate WW2 universe.
Well, this was better than Bitter Seeds the first in the Milkweed trilogy by Ian Tregillis. Several puzzles from the previous book fell into place and the final reveal was very creative. I also thought this one had more substance and development. To be honest, I wouldn't have continued after the first book but the 90% Kobo promo code brought the cost down to the "why not?" level. I'll read the final book in the series at a later date. Bitter Seeds I rated C- [3 stars] but this one I'll upgrade to B- [4 stars].

Next is White Fire by Preston & Child.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:02 AM   #20079
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Soda View Post
I've heard of David Baldacci but I don't recall reading any of his books yet. How was it?
Baldacci has two mystery/suspense series that I have very much enjoyed. The very first book I bought for my Kindle was Stone Cold, the 3rd book in his Camel Club series. I had just finished reading the paperback of The Collectors and my brand-new Kindle 1st generation arrived in the mail, so I quickly bought the next book.

The Sixth Man was very good. It "stars" Sean King and Michelle Maxwell, both former Secret Service agents now working as Private Investigators. This particular book featured hi-tech anti terrorism, rogue federal executives, lots of conspiracy. I think my favorite in the series, though, was First Family.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #20080
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A Rare Benedictine by Ellis Peters.
Three delightful short stories of Cadfael in the years before we first meet him in A Morbid Taste for Bones.

Next: Ninety Percent of Everything by James Patrick Kelly, John Kessel & Jonathan Lethem.

My oldest unread! Bought 15 September, 2004, from the late, lamented, Fictionwise.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #20081
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Soda View Post

I have managed to clear off some novella over the week and there are still a few more to go before I get to hit to longer books. Currently on Hard Landing by Stephen Leather and it's looking good so far!

Meanwhile, happy reading everyone!
Everything by Stephen Leather is very, very good. Mostly thriller and mystery. Of course my favorite though is his autobiographical account of the scam of meeting and living with his Thai 'bar girl' wife. This scam has been repeated hundreds of times by hundreds of people. So many, in fact, that Leather originally gave the story away for free on his website to try to prevent the scam from being run on others. I personally know three men who fell prey to it! A very interesting read!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #20082
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just completed "Fox and Empire", the second half of the "Tale of the Fox" omnibus by Harry Turtledove, which I bought from Baen in June 2000. This now completes my Baen reading for June 2000 - on now to July.

Quote:
And just when things can't get worse-they get worse. Gerin's neighbor, Aragis the Archer, has made one provocative move after another, and Gerin reluctantly decides that war is inevitable. But suddenly, the Elabonian Empire again turns its unwelcome attention to the Northlands, which it regards as a subject territory. Gerin and Aragis are now allies against a common enemy ... and a very formidable one, with forces that outnumber both their armies put together!
Very good fantasy indeed. Highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #20083
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Everything by Stephen Leather is very, very good. Mostly thriller and mystery. Of course my favorite though is his autobiographical account of the scam of meeting and living with his Thai 'bar girl' wife. This scam has been repeated hundreds of times by hundreds of people. So many, in fact, that Leather originally gave the story away for free on his website to try to prevent the scam from being run on others. I personally know three men who fell prey to it! A very interesting read!

Stitchawl
That is funny as I know of 2 men who have done this twice Intentionally they say, and one after reading the book. I can only think of it as some sort of a waving of a red flag. Same with the Russian bride thing. I worked for a rich good looking guy who fell for that one three times that I know of and was totally miserable each time when he figured out he wasn't going to get what he was after, whatever that was.

Still it is a good book.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #20084
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just finished the final book in C. E. Murphy's Walker Papers series, "Shaman Rises", and loved it. It tied everything up well.

It's an urban fantasy series set in Seattle and one of my favorites. Not everything is black-and-white, and the main character starts out as a very reluctant shaman indeed. It contains a nice mix of Celtic and Native American mythological characters and archetypes, and it's written with an undercurrent of wry humor that helps to provide a counterpoint to the evil that occurs. The author provides a individual summary of all of the preceding books at the beginning of this one, but for maximum enjoyment I would recommend starting the series at the beginning with "Urban Shaman".

If interested, you can check out my Amazon review (I'm "Mayfayre" over there): http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...R1UN1K0ECSGJDC

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-29-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #20085
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A quick read yesterday: Agatha Christie's "They Do It With Mirrors" (US title, "Murder with Mirrors"). This was her 53rd book, and was originally published in 1952.

As the story opens, Jane Marple is paying a visit to her old friend Ruth Van Rydock. The two, along with Ruth's sister Carrie Louise, were all friends together at the same school in Italy when they were young women. Ruth, a wealthy, oft-married socialite, is worried that something is very wrong at Stonygates, the Victorian mansion where her sister, Carrie Louise, lives with her husband Lewis Serrocold. She can't explain any real reason for these worries, but she fears that Carrie Louise may be in danger of some kind. Ruth asks Miss Marple to visit her and find out what is going on.

Carrie Louise is delighted to have Jane Marple for a visit at Stonygates. The old Victorian mansion, though owned outright by Carrie Louise, has been converted into a home for delinquent boys which is run by Carrie Louise's husband, Lewis Serrocold. Lewis Serrocold is actually Carrie Louise's third husband; she was also once widowed and once divorced. Carrie Louise has always been attracted to men who had their minds on noble causes. Her first husband, Mr. Gulbrandsen, was a great philanthropist, and Mr. Serrocold is devoted to the idea of reforming juvenile delinquents and teaching them how to contribute to society.

The inevitable murder soon occurs, and Miss Marple investigates.

Not one of Christie's best books, to my mind, but still worth reading if you've nothing to do for an afternoon or evening.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote