Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
Question Cover on non-store-bought ePubs not showing?

I noticed in another thread that there seems to be some issue with non-store-bought epubs showing up in the library with no cover.

I've made several of my own children's stories into epubs and even designed covers (thanks to Calibre) but when they appear in my library they are cover-less. I've done a simple drag and drop. I've also tried dropbox.

Anyone have any ideas?

cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Use Calibre to edit your metadata. It will look on the web for covers and if none found you can use their generic one which at least has the title and author. Do a search to find the other thread about this.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I did use Calibre, and had no trouble attaching my own covers. (I authored the books and designed the covers myself). It seems the problem is that the Vox doesn't recognize the covers. :-(

I've been following the thread but it was a side comment on that thread so I thought I start a dedicated thread to it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you added a new cover in Calibre did you then do an ePub -> ePub conversion to add the new cover to the book?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When you added a new cover in Calibre did you then do an ePub -> ePub conversion to add the new cover to the book?
^^^ This. ^^^ Editing the metadata to add a cover only adds the image file to the EPUB's directory in your calibre (BTW, folks, it *is* all lower-case, not capitalized ) library. You have to actually do the conversion to insert the image into the actual EPUB file.

Hmm. Actually, now that I try it seems EPUBs are just normal .zip files, renamed (like .cbz comic book archives are). You can just replace cover.jpg inside it with whatever you want (as long as it's named cover.jpg - if you don't have an archiver that can use right-click context menus to open the file, you'll have to rename the .epub to .zip and then back when you're done). [just tested with a coverless short story I had handy and copied the EPUB to my Touch, but it'll work on the Vox since this is actually a calibre & EPUB issue rather than a Vox issue]

calibre really needs a setting, though, to allow the file to be placed directly into the EPUB.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Calibre driver for the other Kobo readers (as opposed to the one that is currently being used for the Vox) was modified a few weeks back so that it will change covers without having to use the Calibre style sheet. If Tim Legge gets a Vox, he may be able to fix us up on that, as well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll try the epub -epub conversion tonight, and if that doesn't work, I'll look into the zip file method. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.