Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
klmmc13
formatting student
klmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: several models of Kindle; Several Android tablets & 3 Android phones.
Which format is best for long-term storage?

Hello Everyone --

Which ebook format is best for long-term storage of files? Mobi or Epub? or HTML? or something else??

I'm moving my library from hard-copy / print books to digital and hope to eventually have it all easily accessible for all in the family, and a digital backup on solid state or burnt to discs, etc....

Thanks in advance,
Kathy
klmmc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm partial to mobi myself but then I read on Kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Actually epub is probably the way to go -- after any DRM has been removed, of course.

Epubs are just zip files with all files for the ereader wrapped up in the zip archive. And with calibre, epub can be converted to just about everything else.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
So can .mobi.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Surely ePub has the advantage of being an officially documented format, with the ability to extract contents with no tool more complicated than a de zipper.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm partial to mobi myself but then I read on Kindle.
This is not about what format you like, but about which format is best to archive eBooks in.

My opinion is that if there is no DRM, use ePub. If the source is not ePub, convert it to ePub and save both the ePub and the original.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not about what format you like, but about which format is best to archive eBooks in.

My opinion is that if there is no DRM, use ePub. If the source is not ePub, convert it to ePub and save both the ePub and the original.
I meant that I have found mobi good as an archive format.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
klmmc13
formatting student
klmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: several models of Kindle; Several Android tablets & 3 Android phones.
Talking

I guess I should have been more specific....

There's no DRM on these files. I want to Archive a copy of my digital library books somewhere not usually accessed, back-up storage, if you will. With Calibre, I've got the ability to create epub/mobi files for individual readers as needed if/when we need it.

Most are fiction, in various formats from .txt file, .pdf of Word files, .pdf image files from Google/IA, epubs, mobi's , even some .lit files (that I no longer have working software to read.)

I'm TRYING to get the largest number of usable texts in the least amount of space, while maintaining the use-ability of the file without much additional "fiddling" when someone wants to "check out the book to read it."
(before I spend several days downloading the plethora of books available at this book-lover's paradise, I'd rather know which format is going to stand up the best to future reading/ backward compatable, whatever you might call it.

I haven't HEARD about issues of older Kindle/mobi books not reading on the newest readers, but I don't get out in those kinds of circles... ya know??
EPUBS, being rooted in OpenSource, I thought would probably be the best option, but, again, I Don't Know... and I am smart enough to come ask people who are much more current and knowledgable than I am on the subject.

Thanks!
Kathy
MamaDragon
klmmc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Actually epub is probably the way to go -- after any DRM has been removed, of course.

Epubs are just zip files with all files for the ereader wrapped up in the zip archive. And with calibre, epub can be converted to just about everything else.
Seconded; I always use EPUB as a base format, even if the book is not delivered as such. If I get a book at Amazon, it comes in AZW3 or MOBI. I either unpack it or convert it into an EPUB (storing the original AZW3 outside calibre after importing it), edit it the way I like it, and then reconvert it back to AZW3, keeping the EPUB as well.

I do the same with LIT files, which is the base format of the old(er) Baen CD's.

Use EPUBs. Even try to convert the DOC-files. With the PDF's, you're basically **&#$. They'll just have to stay PDF, as they don't convert well to any other format.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-25-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
It doesn't make a difference which format you use, all that is important is that you back it up and have it in several places. I have all my books on my pc, and external HD, my phone, a sd card, my Sony reader, Samsung mp3 player & Nexus tablet. Save it in one format or all formats.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Sorry to slightly change the topic, but is one hardware solution better than another? For example, external hard drives, DVDs, etc?
Thanks.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
ePub is the most widely used format.

Public libraries, Kobo, Google Books, iTunes, and other eBook stores uses the ePub format.

Only Amazon is the odd one out.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
ePub is the most widely used format.

Public libraries, Kobo, Google Books, iTunes, and other eBook stores uses the ePub format.

Only Amazon is the odd one out.
Widely used as in stores selling it yes. Although in the US & UK Amazon has a huge market lead over all those stores in terms of actual numbers.

Of course I agree with the others. ePub is the way to go for long term storage.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Sorry to slightly change the topic, but is one hardware solution better than another? For example, external hard drives, DVDs, etc?
Thanks.
Multiple external hard drives is best at the moment. It's also the most cost effective.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Multiple external hard drives is best at the moment. It's also the most cost effective.
Great - thanks for the advice Jon
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote