Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #16
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It's AAC files, made popular recently as the default format for iTunes. Speaking of iTunes, like many applications it stores it's album art outside the music files. You can store album art in MP3s, but it is slower to extract it from the music file itself so some apps (like iTunes) maintain a seperate database for the album art.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
It's AAC files....
Assuming you mean that the Audible files are AAC format:

The Reader will already play AAC files, but the Audible software adds some nice touches. Not the least of which is unlocking Audible's stinkin' DRM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #18
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I miss Audible! It was great having that bookmark feature. My 5th gen iPod can't even do that (very well) -- I'm forever forgetting where I left off on an audiobook.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I listen to 'em on my Palm, though not very often, I admit....
Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #20
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Assuming you mean that the Audible files are AAC format:
Sorry, I should have quoted what I was replying to. It was to you -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
It'll play unsecured ACC files (do I have that extension right?), so you should be able to play unsecured podcasts.
I was just mentioning it's AAC, not ACC since you asked if that was the right extension.
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah! Thank you for clarifying, Leaping Gnome -- I was nowhere close to following what you were saying!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #22
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Does anyone know how to "export" MP3 from the Connect SW. Don't listen to music on my reader but this thread made me check it out & wondered at the lack of an export capability.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #23
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The only time I listen to music while reading is when I'm trying to block out ambient noise, such as conversations nearby. In that case I listen to nature sounds, like ocean waves, to provide white noise.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Does anyone know how to "export" MP3 from the Connect SW. Don't listen to music on my reader but this thread made me check it out & wondered at the lack of an export capability.
I haven't checked yet, but I remember someone (igorsk, maybe) saying that the books were stored in your PC's "my books" dir, the MP3's probably are similarly stored.

If nothing else, you ought to be able to place them on an SD card in the Connect software, and pull them from it using your Explorer (windows, not internet ).
Old 10-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #25
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Audio quality is pretty bad. Very audible background hiss, at least on my device. Nice try, but no cigar.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #26
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Audio quality is pretty bad. Very audible background hiss, at least on my device. Nice try, but no cigar.
Really? I thought mine sounded really good, but I have no real use for the feature.
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #27
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Laurens, have you tried with different MP3s or different headphones?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #28
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Even a high-quality MP3 (320kbps) exhibits this background hiss. It does depend on the type of music and volume level, though. My iPod doesn't have this problem with the same pair of (high-quality) Sennheiser in-ear plugs. But then again, that's a dedicated MP3 player, so it's not really a fair comparison.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #29
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Just for the heck of it try a different pair of headphones. I haven't tried mine yet but will check it out tonight.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Even a high-quality MP3 (320kbps) exhibits this background hiss. It does depend on the type of music and volume level, though. My iPod doesn't have this problem with the same pair of (high-quality) Sennheiser in-ear plugs. But then again, that's a dedicated MP3 player, so it's not really a fair comparison.
An other point for dedicated use gadgets!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote