Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Strange ePub behavior on Libre

I bought an Aluratek Libre a few days ago and have been playing around with it. I have noticed there are a couple of differences in the way that books in the Epub format behave differently than books in HTML, Mobipocket and PRC formats. The right key will not advance the page of Epub books, but does for the other formats. Also, fonts of Epub books are always in the Libre's serif font, even if I change the font to the sans serif font. The other formats are displayed in the font I specify. Does anyone know why the Libre (and I suspect the Jetbook) behaves this way with Epub books?
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
I bought an Aluratek Libre a few days ago and have been playing around with it. I have noticed there are a couple of differences in the way that books in the Epub format behave differently than books in HTML, Mobipocket and PRC formats. The right key will not advance the page of Epub books, but does for the other formats. Also, fonts of Epub books are always in the Libre's serif font, even if I change the font to the sans serif font. The other formats are displayed in the font I specify. Does anyone know why the Libre (and I suspect the Jetbook) behaves this way with Epub books?
I haven't seen that on the JBL, but I was reading one book in epub format, and the font just became a few shades lighter all of a sudden. The book title and such did not get lighter but the text did.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
Does anyone know why the Libre (and I suspect the Jetbook) behaves this way with Epub books?
This is because ePub is using mobile Adobe Digital Editions, the other formats are using FBReader. The jetBook does not have mobile ADE and so uses FBReader for ePub.

You can change the font by modifying each ePub ebook individually. It is added in Calibre as Extra CSS either via the GUI or on the command line, for example the following uses the default sans-serif font in bold for most text:
Code:
body {
  font-family: sans-serif;
  font-weight: bold;
}
This will only work for DRM-free ePubs, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Thanks, wallcraft. There's a lot to learn about this -- hope I'm up to it.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote