Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Lomedin
Misanthrope
Lomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Spring Design 6.S Alex DSB-10
Exclamation Apps reading .BGL, .DZ and other formats

Hello,

I´m trying to find applications that will read the formats above. I´m trying to find good dictionaries and, so far, ColorDict and the Merriam-Webster work both fine with .dict and .prc, although I didn´t have any luck with other formats.

Could anybody tell me what apps will open .BGL, .DZ and other formats not mentioned here?

Please, bear in mind: my device is not rooted, no apps for android 2.0+, I can´t access google play.

If you have any direct links or could upload something for me, you can PM me.

Very much appreciated!

Lomedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomedin View Post
Hello,

I´m trying to find applications that will read the formats above. I´m trying to find good dictionaries and, so far, ColorDict and the Merriam-Webster work both fine with .dict and .prc, although I didn´t have any luck with other formats.

Could anybody tell me what apps will open .BGL, .DZ and other formats not mentioned here?

Please, bear in mind: my device is not rooted, no apps for android 2.0+, I can´t access google play.

If you have any direct links or could upload something for me, you can PM me.

Very much appreciated!

You would have better luck posting queries in one of the more general forums. Hardly any one comes to the SD Alex forum anymore.

I'm going to go ahead and move this somewhere it will get more attention.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Lomedin
Misanthrope
Lomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitLomedin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Thanks for that =)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Bgl is Babylon glossary format.
It can be converted to Stardict:
https://code.google.com/p/stardict-3...ConvertBabylon

.dz may be a compressed file created by the Dzip application:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/dzip/

Hope this helps.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Lomedin
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Bgl is Babylon glossary format.
It can be converted to Stardict:
https://code.google.com/p/stardict-3...ConvertBabylon

.dz may be a compressed file created by the Dzip application:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/dzip/

Hope this helps.
Hi,

Thanks for that. I actually came across those instruction for converting the format, although I was hoping there was an easier way =)
I may have to try it in any case, if nothing else comes up!
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Lomedin
Misanthrope

If it´s of any help for suggestions, the .dz file comes along with an .index file. The full format of the .dz is .dict.dz
I´ve also seen .dct and .dic files, any idea what my device might open this with?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some .dic files are Pocketbook dictionary files.
There really are no true standards for dictionaries so different vendors over the years have cobbled up their own which is why it is hard to find other apps that use them. For many, there are tools to convert *to* the format but not *from*.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Lomedin
Misanthrope

Quote:
Some .dic files are Pocketbook dictionary files.
There really are no true standards for dictionaries so different vendors over the years have cobbled up their own which is why it is hard to find other apps that use them. For many, there are tools to convert *to* the format but not *from*.
Thanks!
Do you know of any tool to covert .dic/.dct to other formats?

I just figured out how to work with .dz files. You have to decompress them to find the .dict file necessary to view them with ColorDict (for example). Although I´ve encountered some dictionaries that come with .index, .dz (decompressing you get the .dict) but no .idx or .ifo to be found anywhere. Do you guys know if there is a way to view these dictionaries that come only with .dict and .index?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

There is a long dictionary thread on the Pocketbook forum about generating. dic fies out of .dict and other formats.
Check it out; it has a lot of links to .dic tools.
Don't remember if they include one to convert from, though.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Lomedin
Misanthrope

Quote:
There is a long dictionary thread on the Pocketbook forum about generating. dic fies out of .dict and other formats.
Check it out; it has a lot of links to .dic tools.
Don't remember if they include one to convert from, though.
I shall do that, thanks a lot!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Just to make some things clear:

"dz" is the file ending for the "dictzip" file format, which is basically a slight extension of the gzip compression format. As Lomedin already mentioned above, dictzip files can be simply extracted using any decompressor supporting gzip. And indeed, ColorDict does not support dictzip compressed files but you need to decompress them before usage.

I have never seen the combination of a "dz" and an "index" file without an "ifo" file before. But it might just conform with the StarDict format (renaming idx to index), because eventually you could get along without the ifo file just fine, if you assume some trivial settings. If you point me to a dictionary with "index" and "dz", I can check this guess.

To answer the question in the first post: A tool that supports a lot of formats is "GoldenDict". A tool, that can handle and convert a whole bunch of dictionary formats is PyGlossary.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Both Goldendict and Colordict support .bgl format and are available free. If you can't use Google Market, try searching for an apk version. Get the oldest one you can so it will run with your old version of Android.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Lomedin
Misanthrope

@tuxor: Hi. I started to use also Fora Dictionary (offline/online dictionary) and it reads more formats than ColorDict (supports as well .idx, .index -without .ifo-). Still didn't find anything for .dct, although, to be honest, I feel I have enough with those and a couple of other stand alone dictionaries.
So, yeah, I believe your guess regarding being able to read those files without the .ifo was right =)

I got a couple of versions of GoldenDict. However, due to the lack of space for more apps and the fact that I'm satisfied with how things are now, I didn't try them yet. I guess my curiosity might get the best of me in the future, once again.
I reckon there was only a "limited" version available for free though.

About PyGlossary, I remember seeing a compressed file with that name in some folder in my PC, so I assume I got that as well at some stage (the new eReader fever kicked quite hard and I filled my PC with A LOT of stuff that I didn't even have the chance to properly check yet).

@Rizla: Hi. I'm afraid I didn't have any luck reading .bgl with ColorDict, perhaps due to the app version I'm running.
See GoldenDict comments above.

Alas, thank you both for the replies!!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomedin View Post
I got a couple of versions of GoldenDict. However, due to the lack of space for more apps and the fact that I'm satisfied with how things are now, I didn't try them yet. I guess my curiosity might get the best of me in the future, once again.
I reckon there was only a "limited" version available for free though.

@Rizla: Hi. I'm afraid I didn't have any luck reading .bgl with ColorDict, perhaps due to the app version I'm running.
See GoldenDict comments above.
I am running Coolreader in conjunction with an old, limited version of Goldendict on a rooted Nook which runs android 2.1. I am using bgl files with it very successfully. The limited version includes ads, but they only appear when wifi is activated. My wifi is generally off, so that's not an issue for me. I get the impression you are making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I could be utterly wrong.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Lomedin
Misanthrope

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I am running Coolreader in conjunction with an old, limited version of Goldendict on a rooted Nook which runs android 2.1. I am using bgl files with it very successfully. The limited version includes ads, but they only appear when wifi is activated. My wifi is generally off, so that's not an issue for me. I get the impression you are making this more complicated than it needs to be, but I could be utterly wrong.
Hello.

I'm happy you are able to use bgl files (with GoldenDict, I assume, since you refer to it). ColorDict DEFINITELY cannot open those (as I mentioned in my previous post, not the version I run, anyway). Since you affirm in your post from the 21/08 that "Both Goldendict and Colordict support .bgl format", you may want to give me the version of ColorDict that supports bgl. Although, honestly, I don't care much about it (my position didn't change regarding having enough with what I have at the moment), just for the sake of curiosity and correctness.
Perhaps it's related to the fact that your device is rooted, contrary to mine (see 1st post).

Thanks for the info about what those GoldenDict limitations are all about.

I don't understand the sentence about making this more complicated Not sure what you are referring to, I'm afraid. Anyway, I don't see any complications from where I stand

Tags
.bgl, .dz, colordict, dictionary