Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #1471
simonchik
Enthusiast
simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, kobo touch N905
Wrong forum, with this title?
And not sure I get your point...

This is very unfortunate
simonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #1472
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchik View Post
Wrong forum, with this title?
And not sure I get your point...

This is very unfortunate
Not our work, it is the work of another group as a closed source, commercial, project.
The other group is now owned by miui.com.

I gave you a direct link to the Duokan user's forum.

Last edited by knc1; 02-17-2016 at 06:29 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #1473
simonchik
Enthusiast
simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for that, I'll take a look.
But isn't the whole kindle thing _very_ closed anyway? And it looks like there was some interest in Duokan 4 years ago. To me it feels a lot freer than plain amazon framework anyway... maybe they'll release the source someday.. It's too bad that CJK support is not nearly as good on any open-source platform... and Duokan's pdf reflow and crop margins thing is indeed very good..
Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #1474
simonchik
Enthusiast

But I understand that you don't appreciate it when they take your code and give nothing in return.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #1475
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchik View Post
But I understand that you don't appreciate it when they take your code and give nothing in return.
Five years ago when this thread was started, there was hope that they would abide by the terms of the licenses that applied to the code they used for commercial purpose (Amazon does, and it is 'closed source, for profit' also).

Five years has been long enough to convince us they will not.
They killed off this support thread by their own actions.

Support here will probably get even worse when the Android port of KOreader starts showing up in miui's customized Android system for cell phones.

Please notice that KOreader is licensed GPLv3 -
Which means (if they do use it, and do follow the license terms) that they will have to let end-users (owners) have keys to install their own version.
If all that happens, there will be no need for the end-user to 'root' or 'jail break' the miui customized version of Android.

So anything we can do to encourage the Chinese to "play by the rules (laws)" will be a win for everyone.

Last edited by knc1; 02-17-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #1476
simonchik
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Five years ago when this thread was started, there was hope that they would abide by the terms of the licenses that applied to the code they used for commercial purpose (Amazon does, and it is 'closed source, for profit' also).
Yes, it does says so in the first messages

Quote:
Five years has been long enough to convince us they will not.
They killed off this support thread by their own actions.
I don't doubt they did ;-)

Quote:
Support here will probably get even worse when the Android port of KOreader starts showing up in miui's customized Android system for cell phones.
The problem is that there is probably no point in trying to sue them...

Quote:
Please notice that KOreader is licensed GPLv3 -
I am aware of that. Actually I tried to use koreader two years ago on a old
kobo, but didn't work well (touch issues, try fiddling with lua interface could have probably get it to work, but didn't have time in the end, might try again).
This was me:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=1#post2842286

But if I remember correctly, the pdf reflow was not as good as the one on duokan? Not sure...
The bottom line, for me, is that I love the kindle3w with the keyboard and all, and I'm not satisfied with the amazon interface.. So I'm stuck with Duokan which is very unfortunate -- I've been using only free software for more then 18 years now...

Quote:
Which means (if they do use it, and do follow the license terms) that they will have to let end-users (owners) have keys to install their own version.
If all that happens, there will be no need for the end-user to 'root' or 'jail break' the miui customized version of Android.
So anything we can do to encourage the Chinese to "play by the rules (laws)" will be a win for everyone.
Good luck with that......
Old 04-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #1477
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
The version number: Lite2011-12-02.C3177.rtm
File Size: 43.6MB
Suitable models: kindle3
Updated: 2011.12.02

Download: click here
You can also update via WiFi:
0. Load Duokan from the boot screen
1. connect WiFi
2. (if it doesn't prompt for the update) System Settings >> check update.

Updates this week:
New features:
Whether the increase in the system settings in the title bar displays the power switch
Increase in the system settings how to display the progress bar option
Pushes the files automatically go to DK_News this folder
Users receive push, the system will remind the user

Improvements:
Optimize the push speed: push to reduce the query time interval, to improve reception speed push

As usual , you should use this page or this email address: kindleuser@duokan.com to send your feedbacks.
Is it the latest edition for RTL support?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #1478
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
The reader is written for Chinese, by Chinese, in China.
I suspect any version supports RTL.

Now top-to-bottom, RTL might be asking a bit too much.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #1479
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
IIRC, all Duokan Lite versions supported RTL text; the later non-Lite versions don't.

If you can't get Duokan to work, search the forum for fbkindle for K3 and replace the binary with this RTL-enabled binary provided by matan.

BTW, K3 and higher with the latest firmware natively support RTL in AZW3 files (not MOBI files). You'll only have to install a font hack and override code2000 with Arial.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #1480
knc1
Going Viral

The link you give to fbkindle in the post immediately before the one you mention goes to dev.mobileread.com -
The 'dev' sub-domain has been dead here, these past several years.
(See the list of links at the very first line of a page, above the MR Logo, 'Dev' is gone bye-bye.)

Do you have an alternative link to fbkindle?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #1481
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you have an alternative link to fbkindle?
You can download an archived copy via archive.org.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #1482
knc1
Going Viral

Nice find.
Why not just attach it to a post?
It isn't likely to change any on archive.org.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:53 AM   #1483
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Latest Duokan Lite with RTL support( Lite2011-12-02.C3177.rtm )

Quote:
Yes AFAIR it is the latest for RTL support

The version number: Lite2011-12-02.C3177.rtm
File Size: 43.6MB
Suitable models: kindle keyboard (kindle3)
Updated: 2011.12.02

I found this version on a vdisk account (via google ) and mirrored on the same site also uploaded it to dropbox.

You can also try this one (Lite2011-12-08.C3283.rtm.zip) if you wish.

How to download on vdisk:
Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	How to download on Vdisk .JPG
Views:	542
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	147605

FYI I didn't try these files myself, also there is no way for me to check whether these files are safe to use, so use them with your own risk. (Norton says it is safe)

This is not the latest Duokan version but the latest with RTL support and only for Kindle Keyboard. You don't need this version if you don't need RTL or if you don't own a Kindle Keyboard , instead just try one of the latest ones.

Last edited by thomass; 05-31-2016 at 09:17 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #1484
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I just got a used, slightly damaged, Kindle Dx and installed Duokan. Pdf rendering seems better in Duokan than in basic Kindle. I haven't tested Djvu and Epub rendering. I plan to use this for Pdfs and Djvus.

I have an old Iriver which I'll still use for Epubs and Azw->Epubs, because they can use the speed and organization more than the screen size.

So is there any way to organize my files on Duokan? I tried setting up categories, but even those aren't working. I have 5 pages of documents, and the first 2 pages are ._resource forks. I can create categories, but can't add files to categories or delete categories.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #1485
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I just got a used, slightly damaged, Kindle Dx and installed Duokan.
So is there any way to organize my files on Duokan? I tried ...
The DuoKan version that is available for Kindle DX is the old version of Duokan. I think you can find more info about it on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105316

or this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105847
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf