Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
Nzambi
Nzambi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC (stolen); Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
from experience, how was the glare on the 700? on what conditions were glare distracting?
I didn't find the glare particularly bad or distracting at all. Situations with high levels of light from a central source merely required better angling of the Reader. On the other hand, the 700's big plus, the backlight, was very useful in low-light situations (such as on the evening bus and on the plane). Oh, how I miss you, fair Reader!
Nzambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Someone posted that there are films you can put on your readers to avoid/minimize the glare. Anyone here has tried that? How effective is it?

I still have one more reader to buy (for me, I went with a 505) for a present and trying to decide if a 600 with a protective antiglare film would be fine... so looking for those owners with 700 that have done this.

Last edited by wachuko; 08-24-2009 at 03:25 PM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzambi View Post
I didn't find the glare particularly bad or distracting at all. Situations with high levels of light from a central source merely required better angling of the Reader. On the other hand, the 700's big plus, the backlight, was very useful in low-light situations (such as on the evening bus and on the plane). Oh, how I miss you, fair Reader!
thanks
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #19
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Check Back In

Quote:
I think you will be happy since you already have the 700 and enjoy using it. I wish I had a chance to see the 700 but can't find any here for reference.

I think I will keep my pre-order and hope for the best in terms of clarity and glare (unless I see more negative reviews about the screen) . the dictionary and annotations is such an advancement that I am not easily willing to forgo. Also, i think with annotations there are technically lot of other concepts that can be implemented like a rudimentary organizer or journal etc. This will be my first reader so not sure if there are technical limitations but I would suspect even a basic word document calendar template should be doable. But either way, just having the touch screen experience with dictionary and annotations is plenty.

btw, I ordered a silver one which I find looks just great!
Lev, I believe that's a 600 you have pre-ordered as well? Tell us what you think when you get it. Thanks
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #20
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Exclamation Nonglare Screen Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Someone posted that there are films you can put on your readers to avoid/minimize the glare. Anyone here has tried that? How effective is it?

I still have one more reader to buy (for me, I went with a 505) for a present and trying to decide if a 600 with a protective antiglare film would be fine... so looking for those owners with 700 that have done this.
Wachuko, just did an internet search and discovered a nonglare protective screen cover for the 505 which would probably work for the 600 as well. It is priced at 16.95. The site URL is www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch. Just click on ereaders. It says that the package includes an applicator card and an microfiber cloth. I don't know how many protectors are in it. I think one, as they offer a more expensive triple package.
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #21
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
Lev, I believe that's a 600 you have pre-ordered as well? Tell us what you think when you get it. Thanks
yep, the mighty silver 600...but still waiting for borders to deliver..
borders were the first to place pre-order on their site but looks like the last one to deliver.
Once I get the reader will upload some pics and a short review.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #22
Journier
Groupie

Smile Borders Here Too

Quote:
yep, the mighty silver 600...but still waiting for borders to deliver..
borders were the first to place pre-order on their site but looks like the last one to deliver.
Once I get the reader will upload some pics and a short review.
I am receiving mine from Borders as well. I am suppose to recieve it on the
30th or 31st, however I read someplace in the forum there was problems with the silver and red or the black and red being released as scheduled, so I don't know if I will get mine as scheduled. Hope so, in which case we may get ours roughly at the same time. Don't know if I can hang on though.

Tags
ereader, prs 600, sony