Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Pixelar - New Hanlin V3 distributor in the UK

There seems to be a few press-release-type announcements of this, but the list of supported formats seems extensive - PDF, MOBI, DOC, WOLF, MP3, HTML, TXT, CHM, FB2, Djvu, PNG, TIF, GIF, BMP, JPG, PPT, EPUB, LIT, PRC.

Quote:
The Pixelar e-Reader is an open source format ebook reader, and as such it allows you to read a huge range of digital content. It enables you to ‘carry’ almost as many books, magazines, and documents as you like (including RSS feed downloads). It is a robust yet elegant device which is slim, and as light as a single paperback book.
http://www.pixelar.co.uk/ebookinfo.php
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This appears to be a Hanlin V3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This appears to be a Hanlin V3.
Exactly, they don't even have the Chinese logo removed yet.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Question

I have a Chinese friend who uses a Hanlin because in China they do not sell the Sony Reader and the China-produced Sony Reader is said not to support for now the Chinese language.

Anyway, her complaint is that there is a 2 MB limit to the display of files for the Hanlin. So files bigger than 2 MB have to be splitted before they can be displayed. As I cannot read Chinese, I can't help but could some Hanlin user tell me if there is some way to get around this limitation ?

Thanks for help
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Definitely a Hanlin V3.

I suspect they're going to have some confused and/or annoyed customers, since they don't mention if the device is capable of reading DRM files (which implies it's not), and then they recommend buying books from WHSmiths, which mostly sell DRMd Adobe Epub.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can't seem to find a price on the site. Anyone spot one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Definitely a Hanlin V3.

I suspect they're going to have some confused and/or annoyed customers, since they don't mention if the device is capable of reading DRM files (which implies it's not), and then they recommend buying books from WHSmiths, which mostly sell DRMd Adobe Epub.
They will also cause confusion by calling it an "e-Reader". Imagine someone buys one, goes to FictionWise, which is going to recommend that they buy "Secure e-Reader" books (as it always does!). The person buys, and finds that the book won't work on their "e-Reader".
Old 01-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't seem to find a price on the site. Anyone spot one?
Prices are here:

http://www.pixelar.co.uk/ebook.php
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Thanks. Same price that the BeBook's being sold for (£220).
Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
TQ1
TQ1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi!

I have been thinking of buying an e-book and I think that the Bebook seems right for me. But then I saw this one that what I understand is the same e-book but under a different brand. I was wondering if there is any difference between them in terms of the "software" or firmware or whatever you call it. I am asking because Pixelar seem to ship to Sweden and things is a lot cheaper in pound than euro for us swedes right now. Maybe there are Bebooks shipping to Sweden from the UK but I haven't found any internetstore yet that does.

Last edited by TQ1; 02-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.
TQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ1 View Post
I was wondering if there is any difference between them in terms of the "software" or whatever you call it.
All Hanlin V3s can use the firmware produced for any of the V3 variants, and currently anyone can download the firmware (i.e. you don't have to own a BeBook to download BeBook firmware). Most variants seem to be using the standard Jinke firmware anyway, except for the splash screen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
All Hanlin V3s can use the firmware produced for any of the V3 variants, and currently anyone can download the firmware (i.e. you don't have to own a BeBook to download BeBook firmware). Most variants seem to be using the standard Jinke firmware anyway, except for the splash screen.

And, of course, one can also run OpenInkpot (and it's suite of apps) on all Jinke V3 equivalent devices (EZ-Reader, BeBook, Jinke V3) either AFTER replacing the original firmware with OpenInkpot or in "live" mode where OpenInkpot runs from the SD card - leaving the original firmware in place on the device. Yay!

And you can always buy the BeBook through my associate's link which credits me with a (very) small commission. See my signature line below.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
TQ1
TQ1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for the answers. Now I'm a bit more wiser.
TQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote