Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Open Source culture to blame for e-book piracy!

An interesting article discussed on Slashdot this morning.

Quote:
"CNN published an article entitled 'Digital Piracy Hits the e-Book Industry.' It quotes the following statement by novelist Sherman Alexie: 'With the open-source culture on the Internet, the idea of ownership — of artistic ownership — goes away. It terrifies me.'"
I couldn't read the CNN article (WebSense is on), but the discussion on Slashdot is robust as always
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Artistic ownership

Artistic ownership, what a pile of bull, what about my ownership? I recently bought a hardcover copy of Stephen King’s book “Under the dome”. Notice the word bought, it is mine to do with as I please, within reason. I read the book, then I can chose to loan it to my son. When he finishes it he will return it (I hope) and I will loan it to my wife. That physical copy of that book is my property.

Now, let’s assume I bought the same book in a digital form. After reading it, what are my options? I can loan it to my wife as we share a Sony bookstore account, assuming I bought it at the Sony store. Could I loan it to my son? No because I can only authorize six devices. My wife and I each have a reader, a couple of computers, etc… I can’t afford to waste my authorizations on mere family members.

So, due to the idiotic rules put in place by the publishing industry, it’s time for me to become a criminal. I take my book and go through the rather long and convoluted process of stripping the DRM. Then I can loan my book to my son. Now since the publishing industry has all ready turned me into a criminal, why not go one step further and throw the book out onto the darknet?

I for one have never put a stripped book out onto the darknet. Have I ever gotten a book there, that I wanted and couldn’t get any other way? Yes I have. Do I believe in the darknet and book piracy? No I don’t, but the publishing industry is certainly making it easier to justify the occasional trip there.

So the statement by novelist Sherman Alexie: “'With the open-source culture on the Internet, the idea of ownership — of artistic ownership — goes away. It terrifies me.” Don't make me me laugh. Until you start worrying about my ownership rights, you can just go cry me a river!
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
ttf
ttf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ttf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ttf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ttf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ttf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkpad 3, iPad
Although I certainly do not agree with Sherman Alexie, I don't understand this argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbrayman View Post
Now, let’s assume I bought the same book in a digital form. After reading it, what are my options?
Obviously you know your options quite well. And knowing them, who forces you to buy?
The shops that sell ebooks are pretty clear about the conditions. Now you go and make a deal with them, you sign it, you give your word.

Quote:
So, due to the idiotic rules put in place by the publishing industry, it’s time for me to become a criminal.
Your decision. It's against the contract and you know it.

Quote:
Now since the publishing industry has all ready turned me into a criminal...
They didn't. You did.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't like DRM either. However the direct way to fight it is not to buy it.
Plus, of course, the "classic" political ways to influence law making.
ttf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I am all for ebook resale rights. The problem is how to make sure that the original copy is being destroyed? I guess that is the reason in some ways they give you more rights with ebooks then with pbooks. Ever had 4-6 people simultaneously read the same copy of a pbook? You can do that legally with a DRMed ebook.

But since DRM is easily removed, in the end the industry can only trust in the honesty of their customers. And therefore the restrictive schemes will only backfire. The only way forward is to remove the restrictions and educate people.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Piracy is stealing. It is unethical, immoral, and illegal. A crook’s a crook, and a low-life’s a low-life. Theiving, criminally-minded scum are the reason the rest of us are forced to contend with the evils of DRM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
OK, ttf I agree, if I chose to commit a criminal act by stripping the DRM off of a book I own, then yes, I personally am choosing to commit said act. But, by using idiotic DRM schemes the publishing industry is unconsciously encouraging me commit said act. I know they would vehemently deny this, as I sure you will to. As HanTWN said, the only way forward is to remove the restrictions and educate people.
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We need to develop a culture that rewards honesty and shames bad behavior. That means we all need to stop turning our heads when bad behavior is being promoted as the norm. As to removing DRM from legally-obtained books for personal use, I see no problem with it. Technically, it is probably illegal, but as long as the books are not being re-distributed or re-sold, it does not violate the intent of the law.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
We need to develop a culture that rewards honesty and shames bad behavior. That means we all need to stop turning our heads when bad behavior is being promoted as the norm. As to removing DRM from legally-obtained books for personal use, I see no problem with it. Technically, it is probably illegal, but as long as the books are not being re-distributed or re-sold, it does not violate the intent of the law.

You are right, this is a cultural problem, not a technological one.
The whole publishing industry is in for a paradigm shift. The ground beneath their feet is literally moving. All they are doing is hopping in place hoping to preserve the world as they know it.
Frankly, they are in deep trouble. There is just no technological replacement for the ability to read a paper book, lend it to someone, sell it on, etc. This has been done for hundreds of years - tech just doesn't have the answer for it yet!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Now, let’s assume I bought the same book in a digital form. After reading it, what are my options? I can loan it to my wife as we share a Sony bookstore account, assuming I bought it at the Sony store. Could I loan it to my son? No because I can only authorize six devices. My wife and I each have a reader, a couple of computers, etc… I can’t afford to waste my authorizations on mere family members.
But there is a fundamental different here between the paper and the eBook. When you "loan" your son the paper book, he has the only copy of it. You can no longer read it. In order to "loan" your son the eBook, you'd have to make a copy, so there would then be TWO copies in existence - the one that you have, and the one that your son has. You've copied the book, and broken copyright law. THAT is why you're not allowed to do it. If you want to loan your son your reading device, with the book on it, that's absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But there is a fundamental different here between the paper and the eBook. When you "loan" your son the paper book, he has the only copy of it. You can no longer read it. In order to "loan" your son the eBook, you'd have to make a copy, so there would then be TWO copies in existence - the one that you have, and the one that your son has. You've copied the book, and broken copyright law. THAT is why you're not allowed to do it. If you want to loan your son your reading device, with the book on it, that's absolutely fine.
B&N has an interesting approach with the Nook's book-lending capabilities. When you load a book, it disappears from your collection for the time of the loan. If e-books ever become standardized in their formats, how would you feel about this approach being extended to include all ereaders, not just the Nook? Such an approach could even be used to sell or give away individual copies.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
B&N has an interesting approach with the Nook's book-lending capabilities. When you load a book, it disappears from your collection for the time of the loan. If e-books ever become standardized in their formats, how would you feel about this approach being extended to include all ereaders, not just the Nook? Such an approach could even be used to sell or give away individual copies.
That sounds like an excellent solution!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
It's called artificial scarcity and I fail to understand why people subject to it actually defend it.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikklak View Post
It's called artificial scarcity and I fail to understand why people subject to it actually defend it.
Because we respect the rights of the workers to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Books don't write themselves, you know!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I wonder how many ebook pirates actually read what they download...

It'd be interesting to see a survey of ebook pirates to see how much they read, and whether they would purchase a book if piracy were not an option (or, to be more thorough, what conditions would need to be met for purchase to become probable).
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #15
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
It would be equally logical to demand food coupons for writers. In fact more so. Socialized art works ok in Europe, so I think your argument is just ideology and refusal to look at alternatives.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote