Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
paisleypark
paisleypark began at the beginning.

Device: none
uploading to ebook readers

hi,

a real newbie here - with some questions:

1) I have a few Adobe PDF ebooks on my computer; will I be able to upload them to any ebook reader?
Or do the ebook readers ONLY support some prepaid licensed ebook upload format?

2) is there any software that will allow me to view these same ebooks on my laptop, in book style format - I really want to have an easy 'bookmark' functionality when reading these ebooks.

Regards
paisleypark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
paisleypark

regarding the second question - I found the Adobe Digital Editions reader :-)
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Try downloading Sony's elibrary (get it at their site at http://ebookstore.sony.com). It's free and they have a really nice emulator for reading on your computer.

I know Sonys can read PDFs, and the new Kindle DX (which isn't out yet). Basically, if the document doesn't have DRM and it's a format the device can support, you can read on a device.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only software that reads Adobe ADEPT PDFs is Adobe Digital Editions. This is already on the Sony Readers and is due to be added to many EInk Readers this summer. It is not available on any multi-purpose handheld devices, but Stanza has announced their intention to add ADE to their iPhone app (I don't know if it will read PDFs though).

If you want to use a more full-featured PDF reader, or shift the ebook to a more widely available format, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
paisleypark

Just tried installing the Sony reader on my Windows Server 2008 OS laptop - and it crashes every time I try to run it after installation :-(
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleypark View Post
Just tried installing the Sony reader on my Windows Server 2008 OS laptop - and it crashes every time I try to run it after installation :-(
Search on here for advice. Some people had fights with Windows and the Sony software.

Don't ask me though, mine worked OK and I don't know that much about computers...
Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Try calibre instead. You can downlaod it here, http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download. It also has a viewer to emulate the appearance of the ebook.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Try calibre instead. You can downlaod it here, http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download. It also has a viewer to emulate the appearance of the ebook.
I didn't realize Calibre also had an emulator, sorry.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #9
paisleypark

thank you everyone, will download and play with the software