Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #76
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The black bar at the bottom, where it says "Your Wishlist is Empty" obscures any potential shadowing like we're seeing on the PW. Any chance you could post another with just a page of text?
The black bar is Kobo's solution to the shadows made by the lights which are so visible on the Paperwhite photos. It is there by default but can be changed to "clear" in the settings. When "clear" you can see some shadows caused by the lights in this area.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #77
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez_terr View Post
I've taken some photos of my Glo. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=928

The pictures definitely don't do the screen justice - the fuzziness is down to me, not the Kobo.

There was a fluorescent light on in the neighbouring room, hence the shadows on the right hand side of the screen.

I tend to read in bed with the brightness on the lowest setting, but I do keep the black light control on to mask the LEDs.
I'm jealous I want that screen on my PWs!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #78
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Ooh, the kobo lets you adjust font size, weight, and sharpness with sliders.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #79
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
They say in the above liked article:
The ad-supported basic model will knock you back £109 ...

Here in Germany they do not offer a SO version. and the WIFI non SO costs 129 EURO (about £105). That would be expensive for the island.
I think the Engadget article is incorrect, and the UK models are all non-SO.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #80
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Finally a tiny bit of tech blog coverage, but naturally Gizmodo just tells us we're doing it wrong.

Quote:
As for the lighting issue? Well, watch your brightness levels.
I'm definitely having to rethink my slavish devotion to tech blogs for gadget reviews.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #81
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Finally a tiny bit of tech blog coverage, but naturally Gizmodo just tells us we're doing it wrong.

I'm definitely having to rethink my slavish devotion to tech blogs for gadget reviews.
They seem to be okay for hearing about rumors and release dates, but I've always been skeptical about their reviews. I also wonder how much they are swayed by their advertising clients.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #82
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You guys, check out this article and especially the comments below!

Quote:
Amazon to users: Hey, the Kindle Paperwhite isn't perfect
Amazon preemptively discloses some potential shortcomings in its latest Kindle e-reader compared with previous models, most likely to get out in front of user complaints.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #83
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post

Yeah, same here - very disappointed. I usually devour their reviews - heck I check engadget a few times a day.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #84
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
You guys, check out this article and especially the comments below!
Some of my favorite quotes from the Amazon statement:

Quote:
Kindle Paperwhite does not have audio or Text-to-Speech. This makes the device smaller and lighter than it would otherwise be. Audio and an improved Text-to-Speech engine are supported on Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD.
You want audio and TTS, no problem, just shell out another $200. (I do agree people should have read the specs, but trying to push another device just to have audio and TTS is a bit annoying.)

Quote:
Under certain lighting conditions, the illumination at the bottom of the screen from the built-in light is not perfectly even.
No sh#$!

Quote:
These variations are normal and are located primarily in the margin where text is not present.
Total sh#$!

Like I said in another post somewhere, the PW will most likely be replaced way before the traditional year time frame in which Amazon replaces Kindles. The Touch was replaced after about 9 or 10 months. I will be surprised if we don't see the 2nd generation of PW released by late spring or early summer 2013.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #85
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Yeah, same here - very disappointed. I usually devour their reviews - heck I check engadget a few times a day.
Worse, here. I've got Engaget's live widgets continuously updating on my phone and Xoom.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #86
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Worse, here. I've got Engaget's live widgets continuously updating on my phone and Xoom.
Pathetic, huh? I have their app on all my devices as well as getting it through Google reader, but still prefer their actual page.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #87
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The black bar at the bottom, where it says "Your Wishlist is Empty" obscures any potential shadowing like we're seeing on the PW. Any chance you could post another with just a page of text?
Here are 2 pic's, one the the bottom bar on and one with it off. Personally the gray shadow from the LED's is even enough across the bottom (vs the PW headlight effect) that I normally read with the black bar turned off. Pics were taken in a dim but not dark room (you could read without a light after your eyes adjusted, but not easily). Camera in the dark/compression means it doesn't have the sharpness you'd see on the screen in your hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Glo 2.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	94060  
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #88
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I think the dark strip of shadow at bottom on the kobo is less bothersome than the cones on the pw. But that bright strip on the top looks distracting. And I think they went overboard and left too much empty space at bottom. They could easily squeeze in one extra line of text.

I don't see color blobs, which is good.

techcrunch just picked up on amazon's PR release. But all they did was parrot it. Quoted the whole text. No menthion of color blobs. Ooh, good job there with the journalism, guys.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #89
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Kobo lighting does look slightly better than the Amazon attempt. Who'd have thought it? I'm surprised the PW uses capacitive touch. That's weird. Is it true? The engadget review said it used IR, I think, and then suggested that IR was new to the PW, which evidently it's not. That review was such garbage. The best place I've see is the-digital-reader.com. They don't pull any punches.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #90
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I'm surprised the PW uses capacitive touch. That's weird. Is it true?
Yep, that's correct.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote