Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #76
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
Knickers is Irish/Brit for panties.
I had an idea that was the case from the context.

Maybe for your American audience, you could throw in some kind of hint when you first use the word. Even if the normal readers of that style of literature know the word, more sporadic readers like myself might not immediately recognize how it is used without a bit of help.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #77
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I had an idea that was the case from the context.

Maybe for your American audience, you could throw in some kind of hint when you first use the word. Even if the normal readers of that style of literature know the word, more sporadic readers like myself might not immediately recognize how it is used without a bit of help.
I NEVER read that genre, and I knew what she meant. Might be more common then you give it credit for.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #78
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The difference between thongs in Australia versus other places seems an apropos example to add in here, it can lead to some very funny conversations.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #79
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
VydorScope
I NEVER read that genre, and I knew what she meant. Might be more common then you give it credit for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The difference between thongs in Australia versus other places seems an apropos example to add in here, it can lead to some very funny conversations.
Well, I thought about it briefly and had a good idea but then we here at Mobile Read should be a bit sharper that the "average bear."

As for thongs. In my youth that meant usually a style shoe that is now mostly called flip flops but the thongs were more stylish. Sometimes a healed shoe might have a leather loop holding it to the ankle and they were called thongs.

I can only say that it is all agreeable to me, though my personal preference is for damsels just out the shower. Anything added to that is just a roadblock on the highway to love.

( I wonder if anyone out there has a book contract for me? )

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #80
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Flip-flops, that's them! But saying you broke a thong (which is not uncommon with the rubber ones that sell most cheaply here) can lead to some strange looks in some company. (Indeed, saying that the broken thong was made of rubber makes it even worse. )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #81
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
I love my agent. She's already doubled the advance (now 8000) and has got a much better royalty rate.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #82
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I love my agent. She's already doubled the advance (now 8000) and has got a much better royalty rate.
Sounds like she's earning her money, but I also believe (as I said at the beginning) that they tried to low-ball you. I think this confirms it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #83
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very likely. But now I'm freaking, wondering if I can produce a book that's as good at they want in the time I've got. Increasing the money increases the pressure.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #84
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Very likely. But now I'm freaking, wondering if I can produce a book that's as good at they want in the time I've got. Increasing the money increases the pressure.
Don't let it. Remind yourself that you were planning on writing the best book you can, and that hasn't changed. Their expectations haven't changed, either--being able to demand a better paycheck doesn't mean you're expected to do more work, just that they agree you're better suited to the job than they'd originally thought.

Also, the hope is that the advance isn't "more money" for the author. It's just "more money up front." And "better royalty rate" probably means they were trying to scam you to some extent--they want you to produce a book that can compete with 50 Shades, but want to pay you untried-newbie-author rates? If they think you *can* knock 50 Shades off the shelves, they should pay you accordingly. Sounds like they were relying on you not knowing what the industry standards are, or undervaluing your own work.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #85
EileenG
Zealot

Yeah, but at the beginning I was all upbeat and optimistic, and now I'm two thirds through it and wondering if this is the biggest pile of shite in the English language.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #86
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Yeah, but at the beginning I was all upbeat and optimistic, and now I'm two thirds through it and wondering if this is the biggest pile of shite in the English language.
It would still be better than 50 Shades, though.

Joking aside, I haven't read 50 Shades, but I've read your work, and I don't think you need to be concerned. Keep at it!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #87
EileenG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
It would still be better than 50 Shades, though.

Joking aside, I haven't read 50 Shades, but I've read your work, and I don't think you need to be concerned. Keep at it!
Thank you for the encouragement. I've trying to increase the kink content without doing anything the publisher will consider sleezy. I already vetoed a virgin heroine and a hero who is so tortured he should be in therapy.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #88
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
I kind of suspect they have given us a starting figure and expect our agent to bring it up higher. On the other hand, since an agent would take 15-20% of the total, I'm wondering if it would be better not to bother.
I think publisher will always low-ball an unagented author so bringing on an agent should always be able to increase the deal by more than their cut.

Also...in general an agent should only be taking a 20% cut when doing foreign deals as they usually have to work with a co-agent and the two of them each get 10%.

Last edited by MichaelSullivan; 07-27-2012 at 08:04 AM.
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #89
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What a great lesson on the importance of landing an agent! Best of luck on the book, Eileen!
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #90
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Thank you for the encouragement. I've trying to increase the kink content without doing anything the publisher will consider sleezy. I already vetoed a virgin heroine and a hero who is so tortured he should be in therapy.
Don't be too heavy handed.
On virgins, consider the age and exclusive one sex schooling.
On tortured heroes I more or less agree, but then when you add "should be in therapy" I think you go too far. There aren't many left if you say that. Suffice it to say, he isn't in therapy.

Being tortured by ambition, by self doubts, by lust, by lost or unrequited love, by memories or fears of abuse (sexual or physical), memories of loss, failure, responsibility, and ""allergies"" or physical problems for example in that genre, sexual arousal or completion are all fair game.
(Pardon my grammar.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote