Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
greyman
greyman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which Reader supports reading in the dark?

Hi,
I am looking for an e-book reader with display size similar to that of the Kindle, but I'd like a reader which could be used in dark (like in the bed during the night, etc.) Which devices support this feature? Thank you.
greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
As far as I understand, the e-ink devices can't have backlight. So you can add an external source of light, or go for lcd devices, like the ebookwise : http://www.ebookwise.com/ebookwise/ebookwise1150.htm
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For LCD devices, I like the Nokia 770 or the newer N800 and N810 Internet tablets, see Nokia N800 Internet Tablet as an e-book reader?. However, their primary e-book reader is FBReader and it does not read DRMed (encrypted or "secure") e-books. You can read secure MobiPocket e-books using a Palm emulator, but only in 320x480 of the 800x480 screen.

The other option is E-Ink with a reading light, see But what about the Kindle's Reading Light?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Far and away you best bet (IMHO) is an eInk device with a clip-on reading light. eInk is just outstanding in daylight; it seems a pity to restrict yourself to an LCD device with all its associated issues (short battery life and eye strain) merely because it's self-illuminating. Book lights can be very good indeed - just as good as backlighting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
greyman
greyman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you all for the answers! Please, what exactly is the "clip-on reading light"? I am very new to this.
greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyman View Post
Thank you all for the answers! Please, what exactly is the "clip-on reading light"? I am very new to this.
It is basically the same thing you would use with a paper book to do the same job.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote