Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Anchors in posts?

Anyone know about linking to anchors?

I see from BB code list how to create an anchor in one post, but can't figure how to link to that anchor from within same post or from a different post. Is there a way to identify that anchor from within a post-link or a url-link, or is there a different BB code I missed?

Last edited by unboggling; 09-06-2011 at 12:12 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Hmm... let's see... I create an anchor here.

And then I [link=test]link[/link] it here.

No, it doesn't work like here or here. Maybe someone forgot to activate [link]?

Last edited by Jellby; 09-06-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Jellby. According to your second link (overclockers) towards the end of list, within a post, it's called Anchor link:
Code:
[jumpto=Option]value[/jumpto]
Example usage:
[jumpto=aname]This takes you to a new location within a post[/jumpto]

[aname=aname]This is where you jump to[/aname]
I assume new location aname is the anchor name.
Haven't tested yet on this BB forum system due to thunderstorm power outages happening intermitantly here.

Edit: (also found the aname description)

Last edited by unboggling; 09-06-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
unboggling
Wizard

Thunderstorms seem to have passed. So might as well test here.

Edit: Well everything I tried didn't work. Deleted it all.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-10-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
unboggling
Wizard

So what am I doing wrong?

I tried em all with and without quotes after the equals sign, a=anchor, a=MR Way….

Last edited by unboggling; 09-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #6
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Ancient thread resurrection, but has anyone figured out how to use anchors yet?

From the FAQ, anchors are active, but I don't see any of the possible options for actually linking to them ([goto][link][jump], etc.)

If not, can they be added? That would be very nice to have for some types of threads (stickies/FAQs especially.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This is a test of an anchor.

So it's insert the URL followed by # and the Anchor name
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2974366#MyAnchor

or

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...74366#MyAnchor

Last edited by PeterT; 11-12-2014 at 12:56 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just a regular link should do just fine...

This goes to PeterT's anchor

(It does open in a new page.)

EDIT: Fixed the link to match ^^

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-12-2014 at 12:53 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
This wouldn't work to link to anchors in a new post until after the new post was created - generating the internal post number required in the url.

I think there should be a corresponding link/goto/jump bb code.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-12-2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The same effect could be had if the URL bbcode didn't automatically insert a "http://" in front of your URL, but accepted things like: [URL]#MyAnchor[/URL]

#MyAnchor
Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
This wouldn't work to link to anchors in a new post until after the new post was created - generating the internal post number required in the url.

I think there should be a corresponding link/goto/jump bb code.
I agree. With the options we have, it looks like it will always open in a new window/tab. Something that doesn't would be nice.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I agree. With the options we have, it looks like it will always open in a new window/tab. Something that doesn't would be nice.
Like all URL links it is controlled by a setting in Profile Options, whether to open external links in a new tab. All THREAD and POST links open in the same tab, no matter what.
Which is arguably nice.

NOTE: It still reloads the page.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Like all URL links it is controlled by a setting in Profile Options, whether to open external links in a new tab. All THREAD and POST links open in the same tab, no matter what.
Which is arguably nice.

NOTE: It still reloads the page.
I did see that for POST while testing but if you try to add an anchor to a POST link, it breaks. Hopefully I am just doing something wrong.

Link to PeterT's post without using the anchor (code then test):
Code: [post=2974366]link[/post]
Test: link

With anchor:
Code: [post=2974366#MyAnchor]link[/post]
Test: [post=2974366#MyAnchor]link[/post]

Alternate POST usage:
Link to PeterT's post without anchor (code then test):
Code: [post]2974366[/post]
Test: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2974366

With anchor:
Code: [post]2974366#MyAnchor[/post]
Test: [post]2974366#MyAnchor[/post]

Mostly I think it would be nice to have the ability to navigate a post/thread without reloading.

(It won't let me give you Karma for helping out on this, so let me say again: THANK YOU!)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I did see that for POST while testing but if you try to add an anchor to a POST link, it breaks. Hopefully I am just doing something wrong.

Link to PeterT's post without using the anchor (code then test):
Code: [post=2974366]link[/post]
Test: link

With anchor:
Code: [post=2974366#MyAnchor]link[/post]
Test: [post=2974366#MyAnchor]link[/post]

Alternate POST usage:
Link to PeterT's post without anchor (code then test):
Code: [post]2974366[/post]
Test: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2974366

With anchor:
Code: [post]2974366#MyAnchor[/post]
Test: [post]2974366#MyAnchor[/post]

Mostly I think it would be nice to have the ability to navigate a post/thread without reloading.
Yes, the POST bbcode expects a post ID, so that is expected.

I agree a new tag would be useful -- I had long since worked out how to link to the anchor, unfortunately as I pointed out it will reload the page which is much less useful.

I mainly see this being used for example in tubemonkey's Black Friday thread, for jumping around in a single post or the first couple posts (which all on one page, of course ), and it would be a pity to have to always reload.

Quote:
(It won't let me give you Karma for helping out on this, so let me say again: THANK YOU!)
You're welcome.

(About the karma, you cannot give to the same person twice in a row, or more than 10 times a day. You may not have given karma to anyone else since this post. Or else you have been very thankful today already. )

(I used a post bbcode, not a link. Not my usual, but more in-theme with this thread. )