Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #211
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dang that's familiar.

Breakfast of Champions?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #212
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

No not Vonnegut. A couple of more passages:

"I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

and

“Oh, my God!” “The minx has been raped by a Mau-Mau.”
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #213
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
something by Pynchon?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #214
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
*cackles*. That last line gave it to me, but I'll leave it up for grabs.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #215
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another book I haven't read - no way I'd forget that last clue!
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #216
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I thought Issybird might get this one.

Not Pynchon. Sadly this author died unaware of the critical and commercial success this novel would have. For those other than Issybird one more passage:

But since the attempted arrest and the accident, he had been bloating for almost no reason at all, his pyloric valve snapping shut indiscriminately and filling his stomach with trapped gas, gas which had character and being and resented its confinement. He wondered whether his pyloric valve might be trying, Cassandralike, to tell him something.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #217
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

This comic novel was not published until 10 years after the author's death and won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Quote:
Pray to him, you deluded fool, you 'anyone for tennis?' golf playing, cocktail-quaffing pseudo-pedant, for you do indeed need a heavenly patron. Although your days are numbered, you will not die as a martyr – for you further no holy cause – but as the total ass which you really are
So unless this is enough for some one else I suggest Issybird take over.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #218
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm out. I had to ue my googlefu to figure this out.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #219
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's The Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole.

I'm going for an easy one, a famous last line. However, not having been an adolescent girl may hurt the regulars.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky; watched the moths fluttering among the heath and hare-bells; listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass; and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."
Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #220
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

" 'I'm come home: I'd lost my way on the moor!' As it spoke, I discerned, obscurely, a child's face looking through the window. Terror made me cruel; and, finding it useless to attempt shaking the creature off, I pulled its wrist on to the broken pane, and rubbed it to and fro till the blood ran down and soaked the bedclothes: still it wailed, 'Let me in!' and maintained its tenacious gripe, almost maddening me with fear. 'How can I!' I said at length. 'Let me go, if you want me to let you in!' The fingers relaxed, I snatched mine through the hole, hurriedly piled the books up in a pyramid against it, and stopped my ears to exclude the lamentable prayer. I seemed to keep them closed above a quarter of an hour; yet, the instant I listened again, there was the doleful cry moaning on! 'Begone!' I shouted. 'I'll never let you in, not if you beg for twenty years.' 'It is twenty years,' mourned the voice: 'twenty years. I've been a waif for twenty years!'"
Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #221
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I'm not sure - but sounds like Wuthering Heights?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #222
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm not sure - but sounds like Wuthering Heights?
Got it. Phew! Over to pooh.

(not quite a poem)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #223
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Got it. Phew! Over to pooh.

(not quite a poem)
I don't think I ever made it through Wuthering Heights in one read - the characters are so aggravating!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #224
poohbear_nc
Now what?

OK - here's a *rolls eyes* fun one:

"But that is how men are! Ungrateful and never satisfied. When you don't have them they hate you because you won't; and when you do have them they hate you again, for some other reason. Or for no reason at all, except that they are discontented children, and can't be satisfied whatever they get, let a woman do what she may."
Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #225
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I don't think I ever made it through Wuthering Heights in one read - the characters are so aggravating!
Better than I've ever done. Four times in my life I have set out to read that and I never made it more than a third of the way through. On the last attempt I just acknowledged that it would never be. I still might have tried it as I guess if I'd seen Issybird's second clue in time, just based on the mention of a moor.

Quote:
OK - here's a *rolls eyes* fun one:

"But that is how men are! Ungrateful and never satisfied. When you don't have them they hate you because you won't; and when you do have them they hate you again, for some other reason. Or for no reason at all, except that they are discontented children, and can't be satisfied whatever they get, let a woman do what she may."
I at least will need more. But let's hear from others first.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 08-25-2011 at 04:37 PM.