Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
greg4168
greg4168 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Zinio Reading Device?

Hi -

I'm a fairly new subscriber to Zinio for reading magazines. From what I can tell that's the only options for magazines like PC and Sound & Vision, so that's why I went with Zinio.

What I haven't been able to find is a mobile reading device that can handle the Zinio format. Short of getting a Windows Tablet PC, am I out of luck for an actual reading device?

Thanks in advance!
greg4168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg4168 View Post
Hi -

I'm a fairly new subscriber to Zinio for reading magazines. From what I can tell that's the only options for magazines like PC and Sound & Vision, so that's why I went with Zinio.

What I haven't been able to find is a mobile reading device that can handle the Zinio format. Short of getting a Windows Tablet PC, am I out of luck for an actual reading device?

Thanks in advance!
I think I've read somewhere, ZINIO basically would be some kind of protected PDF.
As far as I know, its DRM hasn't been circumvented yet.
So you either have to use a PC or Mac or you have to take snapshots.
Taking snapshots and for example creating PDFs of it can be automated: http://www.copistar.com/
You could OCR the result, but the magazines in Zinio should be workable without, as they're graphic intensive.
The PDFs will be huge though (>50 MB).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
have avoided Zinio for over 7yrs now...might be better than once upon a time but the experience was so bad spyware/crapware, as well as selling of email addy's to all manner of mags back then, I'll likely never get near it again.

As far as a reader to support it, nope, have not run across one yet...other than, as ya mention, a tablet/convertible/slate PC, maybe one of the WinCE OS devices might but even that is a long shot...but doubt any eink device will anytime soon given it is an active/live/dynamic ad supported product.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
greg4168

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I think I've read somewhere, ZINIO basically would be some kind of protected PDF.
As far as I know, its DRM hasn't been circumvented yet.
So you either have to use a PC or Mac or you have to take snapshots.
Taking snapshots and for example creating PDFs of it can be automated: http://www.copistar.com/
You could OCR the result, but the magazines in Zinio should be workable without, as they're graphic intensive.
The PDFs will be huge though (>50 MB).
Thank you very much for this great information mgmueller. Very helpful!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
greg4168

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
have avoided Zinio for over 7yrs now...might be better than once upon a time but the experience was so bad spyware/crapware, as well as selling of email addy's to all manner of mags back then, I'll likely never get near it again.

As far as a reader to support it, nope, have not run across one yet...other than, as ya mention, a tablet/convertible/slate PC, maybe one of the WinCE OS devices might but even that is a long shot...but doubt any eink device will anytime soon given it is an active/live/dynamic ad supported product.
Brecklundin - I'm not sold on Zinio because it's such a wonderful product. Problem is, it's the only way to get the magazines I'm looking for, as far as I know, so I deal with it. Would much rather have a format that translates well to a reader.

Thanks again
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg4168 View Post
Brecklundin - I'm not sold on Zinio because it's such a wonderful product. Problem is, it's the only way to get the magazines I'm looking for, as far as I know, so I deal with it. Would much rather have a format that translates well to a reader.

Thanks again
I've found some 3rd party providers, competing with ZINIO.
Most of them simply use PDF. Depends on your specific magazine though.

And of course, there's always the darknet. You'll find >90% of all magazines as scanned PDFs.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've found some 3rd party providers, competing with ZINIO.
Most of them simply use PDF. Depends on your specific magazine though.

And of course, there's always the darknet. You'll find >90% of all magazines as scanned PDFs.
what are the the competitors to zinio and what is darknet?
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
what are the the competitors to zinio and what is darknet?
darknet= the-not-so-legal part of the web, i. e. P2P, Newsgroups, ...
You'll find for example Harry Potter as scanned and OCRed PDfs in surprisingly good quality.

I'd have to check my links at home. For example, I've found a German retailer for "Digital Home", "GemaPro" or "Home Cinema" with unDRMed PDFs.