Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #91
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you also seconded [i]Lolita} which makes your taste in books highly suspect.
That's rich!

Lolita is only generally considered one of the greatest modern classics there is, but don't let that stop you from being suspicious of the tastes of anyone who might consider it so!

Quote:
This is the problem with the term classic. It just doesn't have a clear definition. I do think Storm Front is a classic. You don't.
And where did I ever mention that in this thread? You are clearly missing the forest for the trees. You are correct that I don't in any way, shape or form consider Storm Front a classic, but that has nothing to do with the objection I brought up against it.

I have decided though, just for you, that I shall nominate Lolita every month from here on out until it wins. I'll be especially pulling for it in particular to win either the science fiction or humour month.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #92
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
That's rich!

Lolita is only generally considered one of the greatest modern classics there is, but don't let that stop you from being suspicious of the tastes of anyone who might consider it so!

And where did I ever mention that in this thread? You are clearly missing the forest for the trees. You are correct that I don't in any way, shape or form consider Storm Front a classic, but that has nothing to do with the objection I brought up against it.

I have decided though, just for you, that I shall nominate Lolita every month from here on out until it wins. I'll be especially pulling for it in particular to win either the science fiction or humour month.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's rich!

It's about an older man and a 12-year old child. It is not a classic. It is not great anything. When you have an adult making love to a 12-year-old child, it is pedophilia. Do you disagree? If so, when isn't it such?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #94
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I third A Study in Scarlet.

Does that make ten?

PS - Oops! I posted at the end of page two rather than three, so I didn't see that the nominations are closed. Never mind!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #95
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's about an older man and a 12-year old child. It is not a classic. It is not great anything. When you have an adult making love to a 12-year-old child, it is pedophilia. Do you disagree? If so, when isn't it such?
Again, if you do not feel that you can handle it, the I'd suggest you skip it to be safe, and I'd also advise you to consider leaving off any books containing the slightest hint of such unsavoury subjects as murder, torture, enslavement, war or penguins.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Again, if you do not feel that you can handle it, the I'd suggest you skip it to be safe, and I'd also advise you to consider leaving off any books containing the slightest hint of such unsavoury subjects as murder, torture, enslavement, war or penguins.
It's not a matter of handling it. It's a matter of what is. Did you agree that the eBook on Amazon that was basically a pedophilia manual be allowed to stay? Be honest now. It you didn't think it should have stayed, then why do you think Lolita should be allowed? It has no redeeming value to it. It's about an adult in love with a 12-year old. There are some subject that should never be written about this being one of them and on top of that, I would have thought that MR would have stood up and said no to it. What if someone who is not an adult got the idea to read it because he saw it listed in a Book Club thread on MR? That would be wrong and any person with morals would know this to be true.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #97
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Lolita is included on Time's list of the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to 2005. It is fourth on the Modern Library's 1998 list of the 100 Best Novels of the 20th century. It also made the World Library's list of one of The 100 Best Books of All Time.

Who are we to say it should be banned? And where do you draw the line? All books written by gays, or maybe by authors with pronounced limps? As a father with three girls, I am not threatened by this book.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #98
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
It's not a matter of handling it. It's a matter of what is. Did you agree that the eBook on Amazon that was basically a pedophilia manual be allowed to stay? Be honest now.
I'm always honest. That book on pedophilia on Amazon is completely different. However, I do think it should've been allowed to stay if Amazon were in essence considered a monopoly (otherwise, Amazon should have the right to censor whatever it likes). Censoring anything is a slippery slope, and your comments relating that book to Lolita are prime examples of that slippery slope.

If you are so worried about objectionable content not being censored, then there are plenty of countries that would accommodate your sensibilities. I'm sure Iran, among others, would love to have you.

Quote:
It you didn't think it should have stayed, then why do you think Lolita should be allowed? It has no redeeming value to it. It's about an adult in love with a 12-year old. There are some subject that should never be written about this being one of them and on top of that, I would have thought that MR would have stood up and said no to it.
It apparently has plenty of redeeming value to it in the eyes of many.

I do find it quite amusing that you're so worried about pedophilia in particular in a book. There are plenty of other books where children (and adults) are abused, tortured and killed, and some books even glorify it, but I don't see you leading any crusades against those. It seems to me a matter of pick-and-choose-your-own misplaced outraged righteousness.

Quote:
What if someone who is not an adult got the idea to read it because he saw it listed in a Book Club thread on MR? That would be wrong and any person with morals would know this to be true.
So now you are taking it upon yourself to proclaim what all people with morals know to be true? Don't let me stop you from thinking that you speak for everyone with morals.

Personally, I think it would be a travesty for anyone, children included, to read Storm Front after seeing it listed in the book club thread, but that's just me.

There are plenty of books listed in the book club threads that I wouldn't recommend to children. We are not a children's book club but if you'd like to be part of one feel free to start one here in this forum.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Lolita is included on Time's list of the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to 2005. It is fourth on the Modern Library's 1998 list of the 100 Best Novels of the 20th century. It also made the World Library's list of one of The 100 Best Books of All Time.

Who are we to say it should be banned? And where do you draw the line? All books written by gays, or maybe by authors with pronounced limps? As a father with three girls, I am not threatened by this book.
Best? No a hope in heck's chance of that. It's a disgusting book that should not have been allowed, When something is written that includes sex with minors, it should never have been published. Perhaps the person that OKed the publishing is a pedophile.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #100
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To paraphrase Richard Dawkins, "The really great thing about an opinion like that is that you can completely ignore it".
Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #101
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Quote:
Bravo, Sir, bravo!
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
To paraphrase Richard Dawkins, "The really great thing about an opinion like that is that you can completely ignore it".
It's not an opinion. It's the law. If an adult has sex with a 12-year old girl, it's pedophilia and rape. The law says so. So if it's the law, how can it be an opinion?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #103
orlok
Close to the Edit!

I'm referring to your accusation that now the publisher was also a pedophile. Are you then going to move on to everyone that has read it, too?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #104
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Quote:
It's not an opinion. It's the law. If an adult has sex with a 12-year old girl, it's pedophilia and rape. The law says so. So if it's the law, how can it be an opinion?
Quote:
It's a disgusting book that should not have been allowed. When something is written that includes sex with minors, it should never have been published. Perhaps the person that OKed the publishing is a pedophile.
All of the second quote is opinion and the last sentence is possibly libellous.

Opinion =/= fact, nor does it = truth, except in your opinion.

Many things are written in many books that are against the law "in real life". I'm sure that nice Mr King doesn't really hide in drains in Derry and murder small children, for example. I'm also sure his agent, editor and publisher don't do those things either and it would be foolish to assume they did, just because they printed a book involving such crimes.
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #105
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
You mean Stephen King doesn't really have "the mind of a child... in a jar on this desk", like he once said in an interview!?!

I can not comment on Lolita, as I've never read it. It sounds disgusting, but I've watched enough Law & Order:SVU episodes to know that some storylines sound worse than they are and vice versa. If it wins, I'll try to read it, otherwise *shrug*.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-25-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, december, nominations