Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question Reader freezes when accessing dictionary while reading

Hi,

I am having some issues with the dictionary while reading some books.

I have found some words i want to look up in the dictionary (EN->ES Dictionary), but after long pressing them, the become highlighted, i can see the buttons for wikipedia, google and such, but the smal window at the bottom doesn't show up and the reader freezes and stops responding.

Sometimes, i have to wait 1 minutes for it to show up the word in the dictionary, sometimes it just get stuck and i have to reset the device and other times i can exit by pressing home.

Does anyone else have this problem? My device is rooted (rupors AMR root package) from day 1, so i dont know if this is a normal behavior or not.

Thanks for the information
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
I've just noticed a similar behaviour today - not as bad as you say, but sometimes I have to wait for the dictionary for a bit. Mine has been rooted for a few weeks now, so it might be related and might not.

Not really helpful, I know, but maybe someone else will add their experience too.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
darasen
darasen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I had a PRS-T1 with the exact same behavior. Even going into the dictionary app directly it would freeze the reader if I changed dictionaries. Mine did this booth un-rooted and rooted. I took it back to the store as defective and the new one was fine.
darasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
I got my dictionary working again by rebuilding packages.xml:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187952

But it only works for rooted devices and it has some tricky prerequisites like working ADB and fix_permissions script...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I haven't noticed the above problem.

However, I have often had an error message in the dictionary where it makes me "force close" the book. Sometimes after this it will go back to the page I was reading, sometimes it takes me back to where I was at the beginning of my reading session and then I have to find my current page.

I don't think this has happened when the battery is at 4 bars, only when it's down to 3 or less.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
gonzule

thanks. i ended up backing up all my books to my pc, doing the default reset on the device and now everything is ok. it even kept the reader rooted and all.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
I had the exact same problem (reader not responding for more than a minute after word selection, then sometime incomplete display of directory entry). for some time, then I added a microSD card, moved all my books to it (directly from one drive to the other). Still had the problem. Reformatted the reader's internal memory (that already didn't contained any book) => Problem disappeared ! Then I added and removed some books on the microSD card (everything done using Windows 7 Explorer, always "ejected" unit before physical USB disconnection) and the problem was back !

I think it's a corruption of the database and/or thumbnail cache: I only deleted the content of the d:\Sony_Reader\database\cache\books directory that contained directories containing the thumbnails of the books and d:\Sony_Reader\database\*.db files => the problem disappeared again !

Warning: you will loose all your annotations, page marks etc. if you do that, and it take some time (minutes, depending on the number of books) to rebuild the database and the books "reappear".

I think it's related to deletion of books (and perhaps adding them back but in a sub-directory)
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
gonzule

yeah, it might be related to that. When i delete book from the reader, i plug it into my computer and manually delete the .epub files. This might keep some *garbage* information inside the reader, like the thumbnails and other things that could affect the dictionary. i will pay attention to it once i start deleting books to see if it happens again (the dictionary is working ok right now).
Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzule View Post
yeah, it might be related to that. When i delete book from the reader, i plug it into my computer and manually delete the .epub files. This might keep some *garbage* information inside the reader, like the thumbnails and other things that could affect the dictionary.
From my experience everything (thumnails and database entries) will be properly deleted.

What about your dictionary lookup list? Have you tried deleting it?
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmr View Post
From my experience everything (thumnails and database entries) will be properly deleted.

What about your dictionary lookup list? Have you tried deleting it?
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. The Dictionary history is in the same SQLite .db file (books.db, dic_histories table) as the rest of the books information database.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. The Dictionary history is in the same SQLite .db file (books.db, dic_histories table) as the rest of the books information database.
Yes, but book related information will be deleted if you manually delete a book from the USB device, the dictionary history remains. This is what I was trying to tell gonzule.
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
gonzule

new update, just so you know, the dictionary is working and i can look up words while reading (long press on the word), but if i try to change the dictionary from, for example, ENG>SPA to SPA>ENG, the reader will again freeze, sometimes for a long time, and sometimes indefinitely, forcing me to reset it.

gonna try to restore the reader with the restore packages, that way it will be 100% like a factory reader, no root, no apps, etc.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Dai Shan
Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PRS-T1, K4NT, Boyue T62
I had this problem a month or so ago also. It would work for awhile, but then out of the blue, it would crash when trying to highlight or add notes (dictionary wouldn't show). This also happened with the Kindle app, not everytime, just occasionally. Did the fix_permissions and the rebuild packages thing per the wiki. Same thing happened; would work a few days then crash.

I eventually removed the Kindle app, to see if that was the culprit. Alas, it wasn't. A day later it crashed again. Went back to stock, same thing. rerooted, same thing.

the only thing that has worked for me (sofar) has been repartitioning. Since then, the dictionary has appeared each time. No problems on the Kindle front either. That was over two weeks ago too.

Not saying repartitioning is the answer, it's just what has worked for me. Actually, I'm not even sure why partitioning would solve this.
Dai Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Shan View Post
Not saying repartitioning is the answer, it's just what has worked for me. Actually, I'm not even sure why partitioning would solve this.
Nope, my reader is repartitioned and it happens to me too (not always, just from time to time). So it must be just a lucky coincidence for you.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
This has been happening to me too a number of times (only in the past week or so, haven't noticed it before). My device is not rooted or otherwise modified.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote