Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Reading Software for PC???

Hi All

Need some help/suggestions with regard to suitable software for reading ebooks on a PC.

My elderly father-in-law loves reading but unfortunately his eyes are going and he needs a larger sized font than you can get in a printed book so I thought I would give him a try on our laptop which runs Windows 7.

Only catch is that whatever reading software I use has to be really simple to operate as he has never used a computer before and I don't want too much of a learning curve for him. The software also needs to be able to display the page in full screen mode and have adjustable font sizes.

Format is not that much of an issue as I use Calibre and can convert to whatever although mobi is probably more cenvenient as I hav e a Kindle and already convert to that format.

The software doesn't need to be able to connect to bookstores etc as he likes old books which I can download from Guttenberg, etc.

I've tried Kindle for PC and Microsoft Reader which are both okay from an operational perspective but on the laptop will not display in full screen mode which significantly reduces the number of words on the screen.

Mobipocket Reader is good display wise but is a little more complicated to operate from a complete novices perspective so I'm looking for something really simple to operate but with the good display qualities.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Since you use calibre already, have you checked out calibre's reader? I use it all the time and find it simple to use. To bring it up, all one has to do is double click on the number of the book one wants.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The ePubReader add-on for Firefox is pretty simple to use with a slightly limited, but very easy-to-grasp interface and you can use Firefox's own fullscreen mode or simply resize the window as needed.

You can set everything (text inside the book itself, table of contents in the sidebar, etc.) to a really big custom font-size and colours as default, so your dad won't have to bother adjusting it for each book, and there are large and prominent buttons for further adjusting the font if he needs them.

While I myself prefer Lucidor, I'm afraid it's not quite all there yet as far as usability goes, and ePubReader is a really good option for beginners.

Plus, the developer posts right here on MobileRead.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader is very customizable, uses any font you want and has auto-bold if that helps. A big advantage if you need a large font size is that it auto-hypenates. It works well with MOBI (no cover image though) or ePub (no SVG graphics). Note that FBReader typically requires fiddling with its settings, but this means you can get it to look exactly how you want.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Since you use calibre already, have you checked out calibre's reader? I use it all the time and find it simple to use. To bring it up, all one has to do is double click on the number of the book one wants.
Second this suggestion, calibre's reader is my reader of choice on my netbook. Very easy to use and I was able to find a custom CSS sheet thing in the calibre forum that showed me how to make the background colored which really helps my eyes.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
Second this suggestion, calibre's reader is my reader of choice on my netbook. Very easy to use and I was able to find a custom CSS sheet thing in the calibre forum that showed me how to make the background colored which really helps my eyes.
On the flip side, I have one of the HDMI inputs on my 32" TV patched into my computer. Using calibre and its reader, I can put put an e-book up on my TV, zoom in enough to be comfortably read from my bed (the TV is mounted high on the wall in my bedroom). I use a wireless mouse to turn the pages (I have a second mouse that I keep on my night stand by the bed). I can set the sleep timer on the TV to turn off after so long in case I nod off.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Big Kev
Enthusiast

Hi All

Thanks for the advice. Wallcraft your suggestion re FBreader seems the way to go as it's interface is more direct and simpler to operate for a complete computer novice, so will give it a try.

Regards and thanks again.
Kevin
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
For a full list of available software check the wiki for reading sofware https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_software

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
Big Kev
Enthusiast

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond with suggestions. Have decided to go with FBReader as this will provide my father-in-law with an easy to operate interface which will not require that he go through a huge learning curve to master the computer.

He is 88yrs old and never used a computer before. I want to keep it really simple so that he can continue to enjoy reading and the added bonus is someone just gave me their old laptop which will do the job as cheap as it gets.

Thanks again & regards
Kevin
Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
Bloodrayne
Bloodrayne began at the beginning.

Device: none
DaleDe,many many thanks for that link...
Bloodrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
On the flip side, I have one of the HDMI inputs on my 32" TV patched into my computer. Using calibre and its reader, I can put put an e-book up on my TV, zoom in enough to be comfortably read from my bed (the TV is mounted high on the wall in my bedroom). I use a wireless mouse to turn the pages (I have a second mouse that I keep on my night stand by the bed). I can set the sleep timer on the TV to turn off after so long in case I nod off.
Now, that setup kicks ass! XD. I want to buy a projector to do that (but more likely to watch movies ;-)
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Now, that setup kicks ass! XD. I want to buy a projector to do that (but more likely to watch movies ;-)
Replacement Projector bulbs Kick your wallet
The also run hot.

I have an Aluratek USB to HDMI (they also make DVI and XVGA models) video adapter to drive my 32" LCD TV without losing my existing (and faster) XVGA/HDMI ports that are connected to my Desktop monitors.

Sadly, works with Windows only.
Scrolling full screens of text, shows up speed limitations. Interestingly, it seemed adequate for XVID encoded movies
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Replacement Projector bulbs Kick your wallet
The also run hot ...
Not LED projectors! ;-) They have longer lifetime than your average dog.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote