Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
jalm1
jalm1 began at the beginning.

PDF Book Scans?

Sorry if this has been covered, i wasnt able to fully find the answer on the forum yet.

I have a few text books that i have scanned into PDFs (ran OCR but it didnt get everything). The pages are in letter size. From what i have read so far it seems like this PDF will not display properly on the reader, is that correct? or is there something that i can do to make the PDF textbooks more usable on the reader? i am considering getting one.
thanks!
jalm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
when you run the OCR save it in some format that you can edit.
e.g. MS Word or RTF
Then set the pagesize to 90X130mm (check threads about page size)
You can then create a PDF or try getting the RTF onto the reader (though that can be problematic)
My best solution so far:
1., OCR -> RTF
2., Open RTF in WordPad, select All, set paragraph format to something simple like left justified, 0 margin
3., save

this should work on the reader... if you're lucky it'll be usable enough
Otherwise you'll probably need to play around with it manually
it depends on how simple the layout of the original textbook was.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
jalm1
jalm1 began at the beginning.

that sounds like a lot of work. oh well. i might just forgo it. The texts are accounting and finance have lots of graphics and formatting that i am sure would not come through very well in wordpad or even word with OCR. but then again i havent tried. Thanks.
jalm1 is offline   Reply With Quote