Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks Ben, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I recently watched a couple of his talks on TED - http://www.ted.com/speakers/dan_dennett.html and have followed his work for years.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #32
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
There is no reason why our discussion can't include the current state of evolution theory.

There is a Rumour that BEN has Evolved ........... Of course it is just a RUMOUR
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #33
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Well, I re-downloaded both Evolution and the Beagle from the MR library last night. I'll try to start on Evolution some time next week and let you know how I like it
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #34
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If my new replacement 600 arrives today, I'll be reading Evolution by tomorrow !
Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #35
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
If my new replacement 600 arrives today, I'll be reading Evolution by tomorrow !
Is it tomorrow yet?
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #36
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Is it tomorrow yet?
NO ..... It's still Today ....... and NO New Reader
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #37
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
NO ..... It's still Today ....... and NO New Reader
Oh! Sorry.

Here's hoping it arrives soon!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I read 10% of The Origin of Species, then killed my Kindle this morning. I just ordered another one with one-day shipping.

Reading a book like The Origin of Species on my Nook would be a waste, because after two software upgrades, there's still no way to export the highlights and notes.

On the bright side, the Nook is capable of taking notes and highlighting now. Before the latest upgrade, it couldn't even do that!

The Nook is getting there—slowly!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #39
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I read 10% of The Origin of Species, then killed my Kindle this morning. I just ordered another one with one-day shipping.

Reading a book like The Origin of Species on my Nook would be a waste, because after two software upgrades, there's still no way to export the highlights and notes.

On the bright side, the Nook is capable of taking notes and highlighting now. Before the latest upgrade, it couldn't even do that!

So now you get some Nookie time!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #40
kennyc

I read the first few pages (introduction) to Darwin's Dangerous Idea and am loving it -- even if it is paper!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #41
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Well. I tried to start the Origin (feel pretty stupid for calling it Evolution before) on the train back home, only my Cybook died on me. Again. Of course, ever since the first traumatic experience of the First Law of Technology (Never Depend on it, aka Whenever You Most Need It, It Will Fail), I am well prepared (Rule #2: Never Leave Home Without a Backup), so I started a pbook instead - Edgar Morin's La méthode.

Unfortunately it's obvious this will be a tough one (it didn't help that my neighbors on the train were extra special noisy today) and it will take a lot of concentration to read, so I don't think I can read it and The Origin at the same time - sorry guys, hope you'll have fun without me!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #42
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Survival of the fittest reader - day 1!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #43
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
I was surprised to see this thread because everyone looked at me so strangely when I said I'd read Darwin's "On the Origin of Species, 6th Ed.", an ePub book. I'm glad I read it, but it is a difficult read. His level of detail in the examples combined with the wordy writing style of the period make for a slow read. And therefore, a perfect book to have on your eReader. When I had 10 minutes, I could turn it on (Sony 700) and read a section. It took a while, but I completed the book.
Do the new books on evolution replace this work. I think not. The examples provided by Darwin will be more commonly appreciated by the layman, for example dog breeding in England, rose breeding, sheep breeding are just some of the examples he uses to make the case that selection can alter and even create species. A new text may get into details provided by DNA research and anatomical studies, but Darwin's examples (for me especially from the animal world) provide examples everyone should be able to relate to.
In summary, I wouldn't sit down and read it for 2-3 hours straight, but I'm glad I read it. ( I have to admit, my appreciation for the book could be explained as I am a scientist and I found the logic in his writing to be both interesting and excruciatingly detailed.)

Dave
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #44
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post

Unfortunately it's obvious this will be a tough one (it didn't help that my neighbors on the train were extra special noisy today) and it will take a lot of concentration to read, so I don't think I can read it and The Origin at the same time - sorry guys, hope you'll have fun without me!
I'll have to postpone starting to read it until Wednesday next week. Got an invitation to a job interview today for next Tuesday, and I'm not prepared at all. Wrote the application in the last minute after only skimming the job advert, and emailed 10 min. past deadline, and there was an error in it, too So I didn't think anything would come off it. Now that I've had a closer look at the job in question, it actually looks quite good Anyway, no time for serious reading right now.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'll have to postpone starting to read it until Wednesday next week. Got an invitation to a job interview today for next Tuesday, and I'm not prepared at all. Wrote the application in the last minute after only skimming the job advert, and emailed 10 min. past deadline, and there was an error in it, too So I didn't think anything would come off it. Now that I've had a closer look at the job in question, it actually looks quite good Anyway, no time for serious reading right now.

Good Luck!