Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
nadolax
nadolax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Reader power button unresponsive

Hello,

Ever since my most recent wall charge my Reader power button is not working properly. Reading books and accessing menus works okay, but it will not turn off and just stays on until the battery depletes. When I turn the Reader back on, it has to do a full start up everytime (annoying). It also won't let me change any of the settings on the Reader either.

I tried a couple of restarts/resets but the problem persists. Sony support is telling me to reset and do another full battery charge.

Anyone know what's going on or have any suggestions? Would formatting the memory help?
nadolax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If it works to turn it on, then it's not going to be mechanical, so yes, in that situation I'd try the Setting/Advanced/"Format Internal Memory" as the next step (after backing up any content you've not got on your PC).

No idea if it'll help, but it won't hurt.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Have you tried shutting it down for real (using the menu option in the Setting/Advanced menu) ?
Then, when you restart it, it will actually reboot and maybe this problem will be corrected ?

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Sounds like the button itself has failed. If it's still under warrantee, send it back asap.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If not in warranty, I paid $90 for Sony to fix my out-of-warranty power button. If it happens again I'm not fixing it. There is no additional battery drain from leaving the display on. Just accidental button presses. I can live with that.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I'd do a reset , format & firmware upgrade just to be sure.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
So it doesn't even go in standby mode after an hour?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #8
nadolax
nadolax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
ok, there we go

It looks like a hard reset followed by formatting worked. I just have to re-authorize the machine now but the button works again...weird.
nadolax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
gordon
gordon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
hey, I think I have this problem.

I've tried the power-down, the reset, how do I do the formatting thing? (and to confirm I did the pinhole at the back and this did a reset - is that a "hard" reset?)
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
how do I do the formatting thing?
Setting/Advanced/"Format Internal Memory"
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
gordon
gordon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks!

I ended up doing the hard reset thing (not soft) which also worked.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote