Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
achl354
achl354 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
So, are pw bought in JP able to purchade amazon.com ebooks??? pls help

As titled

My dad is in japan right now and i was wondering if it would be any good buying the kindle pw wifi version in jalan and bring back for me to use and link it to the amazon.com store?

pls help!
achl354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I doubt it. A UK Kindle Paperwhite will only connect to the Amazon UK bookstore, for example.

Note that that doesn't mean that you can't read books from amazon.com - just that you can't buy them on the Kindle itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Deregistration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I doubt it. A UK Kindle Paperwhite will only connect to the Amazon UK bookstore, for example.

Note that that doesn't mean that you can't read books from amazon.com - just that you can't buy them on the Kindle itself.
If one Deregisters the Japanese Kindle on the "Manage Your Kindle" page in the Japanese Amazon store, couldn't it then be Re-registered in the American Amazon Store at the MYK page?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
achl354

Can anyone confirm this please
Dad is leaving tomoro

Thx
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
achl354

And if i purchase books from amazon.com thru pc, am i able to somehow get them onto the japan kindle?
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If one Deregisters the Japanese Kindle on the "Manage Your Kindle" page in the Japanese Amazon store, couldn't it then be Re-registered in the American Amazon Store at the MYK page?
I think that is what Harry tried to say. That you can register the UK Kindle to an account that is linked to the US store, and that books from that account will work, but not the US store itself on the Kindle.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I think that is what Harry tried to say. That you can register the UK Kindle to an account that is linked to the US store, and that books from that account will work, but not the US store itself on the Kindle.
Yes, exactly.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Has anyone tried it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If one has a Japanese Kindle and does a Device Reset (eliminating its registration on the Japanese Amazon Store) and then, inside the US territory, registers it at the MYK page at the US Amazon Site, would the Amazon US Store appear in the Kindle?

One would have to really try that maneuver to know the result. Has anyone tried it?

If someone moves permanently from Japan to the US, then that maneuver would have to be accomplished or the Kindle would be much less valuable. For example, Prime Lending MUST be done from the Kindle device, not the Amazon site. If it did not work, then Prime Lending would be cancelled on the move.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
If one has a Japanese Kindle and does a Device Reset (eliminating its registration on the Japanese Amazon Store) and then, inside the US territory, registers it at the MYK page at the US Amazon Site, would the Amazon US Store appear in the Kindle?
I very much doubt it. My understanding is that the Japanese PW has different firmware to the US version, and that firmware almost certainly won't be able to access amazon.com.

I bought a Kindle Touch from the US when it was first released, because it wasn't available in the UK at the time. Although it worked fine in the UK (I was able to register it to my Amazon UK account, download all my books from the Archive, etc) the one thing it wouldn't do was access the Amazon UK bookstore. It only gained the ability to do so once the Touch was officially released in the UK and there was a firmware update which added access to the various national Amazon stores.

So no, I would not expect a Japanese PW to be able to access the US bookstore.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Not necessarily.
I can register my German Kindle Fire HD on both the US and German account.
But my US Kindle Fire HD only registers to the US account.
And that's although both are in the very same account with the very same country settings!
If I choose Germany and use the US Kindle Fire HD, the book section within the shop doesn't work as usual. It directs me to the website instead of using the "internal version". I still can purchase books directly on the Kindle, but the purchasing experience is less smooth.
Amazon Germany explained to me, that's because the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" is US-only.
But for other readers, which are available globally, it's no problem.
On my Kindle Paperwhite for example I've switched between the US and Germany quite frequently.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by achl354 View Post
And if i purchase books from amazon.com thru pc, am i able to somehow get them onto the japan kindle?
I always purchase Amazon.com books from PC and choose download to computer (not Kindle for PC). Amazon then asks which Kindle do you plan to read the book on. After that it lets you download .azw or .azw3 file directly to PC. After that you connect your Kindle with the PC and just transfer the downloaded file to documents.
I always liberate them through Calibre before transferring to Kindle, so I don't know if it would work without liberation...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I always purchase Amazon.com books from PC and choose download to computer (not Kindle for PC). Amazon then asks which Kindle do you plan to read the book on. After that it lets you download .azw or .azw3 file directly to PC. After that you connect your Kindle with the PC and just transfer the downloaded file to documents.
I always liberate them through Calibre before transferring to Kindle, so I don't know if it would work without liberation...
But that's one step more than necessary.
When checking out, you additionally could specify to which Kindle you'd like to send the book wirelessly.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But that's one step more than necessary.
When checking out, you additionally could specify to which Kindle you'd like to send the book wirelessly.
If he sent it wireless to kindle it would have the drm on it. Not necessary to remove the drm to read it, but this way he got a copy archived on computer.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But it's easier just to send it to Kindle for PC in that case. That's the way I do it.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it's easier just to send it to Kindle for PC in that case. That's the way I do it.
Does that send a KF8 file? Been a long time since I checked how up to date Kindle for PC is.