Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
eng3409
eng3409 began at the beginning.

Device: none
pocketbook 602 vs. boox x60/a60

Hi,

Can you please help me on picking my first e-reader.
I use it mainly for reading novel in Traditional Chinese. I am located in Canada so mostly I will go for mail order. I want a 6" device with e-ink technology to reduce stress on my eye. I want native support of Chinese.

I narrow down my choice to Pocketbook 602 and Onyx Boox x60

1. How do you like the screen of these 2 model?
2. How about the reliability?
3. How about freezing problem?
4. Do they have same length of warranty period (in North America)?

The guy in Future Shop say a lot of model has freezing problem and he recommend me to wait for new Sony model which may hit the store in October. But I read that Sony does not have native support in Chinese. If I buy it in HK 2 months later, maybe it will have native support, but the warranty is an issue.

I heard Boox has some problem/defect related to reading under sunlight? Is it fixed?

Wifi is not important to me, but it is a nice-to-have.

Thanks in advance for any comment and comparison.
eng3409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng3409 View Post
I heard Boox has some problem/defect related to reading under sunlight? Is it fixed?
All the manufacturers, including Onyx, who built devices with eink displays from two batches a year and a half ago had problems with sunlight fading. the batches had a defect from production. All of the companies replaced those displays, though they had to fight with PrimeView over it a bit.

If you are looking for the newest eink display then the choice between PocketBook 602 or Onyx Boox A60 is very simple -Boox A60 is now available from our store with Pearl displays.

reliability and stability of the firmwares for each is about equal with the boox being more "mature" with less stability issues. The US warranty for PocketBook products is a year longer than Onyx.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
x60 is also a little more expensive than PB602, but it has a touchscreen with stylus, plus a cover and a wall charger are included in the Boox package, PB doesn't have those
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote