Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: So which one would you suggest me to get (be aware, this is a public poll)
Used (or refurbished) Kindle DX Graphite 3G International version 8 40.00%
New (or used) Boox M92 12 60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #31
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Pocketbook is around EUR 220 new, Boox M92 is EUR 350 (so it's about 30 % cheaper).

But I guess, yeah, being used to eInk Pearl on my Kindle Keyboard, it might be a step back.
Yeah, it's a step back. But € 220,= is pretty cheap for a 9.7" reader, certainly for a new one; at that price, I'd consider it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #32
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Pocketbook is around EUR 220 new, Boox M92 is EUR 350 (so it's about 30 % cheaper).
Don't forget to compare the accessories. The M92 comes with cover, USB cable and power supply. For a big screen a good cover is essential.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #33
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Protection is also essential for a small screen. Found that out the hard way with my first Kindle Keyboard ...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #34
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Until the M92 runs Android, I guess a main benefit of Kindle DX be the syncing of bookmarks, notes, highlights and read status between Kindle devices and apps (allthough not as much for sideloaded/"personal"/non-Amazon content).

As for Onyx, it seems to be much better for PDFs and annotations (but not when it comes to exporting/syncing). I've never tried an Onyx device myself yet, as I'm still considering tablet vs eInk for that need.
How Onyx handles epubs, picture zooming and other issues I don't know.
(Trying to figure stuff out just by reading forums is hard, but unfortunately most stores as far away ... )
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #35
Rocket_Scientist
Rocket_Scientist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I have the Kindle DX and it is my primary e-reader, but I also have an I-Pad. The e-ink on the Kindle is easier on my old eyes, but navigation isn't as easy as it could be. I use Calibre for format conversion, but wouldn't suggest buying an expensive reader that required removing DRM. Even if the legal and ethical issues don't bother you, it puts you in a technical battle with your software sources.
That said, I am waiting and hoping for the new generation of e-readers to become available in big screen models. It worries me to have as my primary e-reader a model that may lose technical support in the near future. Reading other posts on this site I suspect that the M92 is already having that sort of problem. If you intend continuing to use Amazon as your principal source of books you (and I) ought to lobby them for a modern replacement for the DX
Rocket_Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #36
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
. It worries me to have as my primary e-reader a model that may lose technical support in the near future. Reading other posts on this site I suspect that the M92 is already having that sort of problem.
I'm to sure to understand what you 've wrote. There is a support for the M92, some new firmware are given and there is some patchs. Onyx take care of the user's wishes for improve the M92 by a seller : Booxtor. You could see that on this thread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164162
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #37
GGMerlin
GGMerlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Don't forget to compare the accessories. The M92 comes with cover, USB cable and power supply. For a big screen a good cover is essential.
I'd say that we dont really need the cover, it's heavy, we just need a padded protection that can be found for ca. 15€ and we don't need the power supply because we already have one and it's wortrh less than 10€.

All in all, I don't like these bundled stuff, there is kind of 150€ difference between an Onyx Boox and a Pocket book on a delivered basis, and that is a lot of money. As I am in no hurry to buy something, and these e-reader are more than one year old now, I will wait and see the next generation.
GGMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #38
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
How would Etaco JetBook Color match up here?
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #39
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
> How would Etaco JetBook Color match up here?

Well, not at all, as I am looking for a black-and-white e-ink reader with high resolution. But thank you for mentioning it, I am aware of that one as well.

Right now, I am heavily leaning towards the M92, mainly for the fact that it offers 2-column-reading, which I find incredibly useful on the iPad Kindle application.

To be honest, it always baffels me why Amazon would give the iPad Kindle application better features than their own Kindle readers.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote